Water in oil pan

Notices

Water in oil pan

Old 04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in oil pan

I usually have someone else winterize my boat. not sure I will do this again. They went to the wrong house last year. They assured me they winterized it, etc. Anyway, I go to fire her up this year, and water does not come out the seperator tubs (dry exhaust). I see it coming out of the hull drain plug.

I shut it down quickly. I figured they did not put the drain plugs back in. I call them, and they send a tech out. he goes to the wrong house again. I call and ask when they are doing it. They said he went to house and wife said boat was fine. Finally, I get the main guy to my house. He looks and says freeze plugs pushed out.

He came back today to fire it up, etc. I am there and only a small amount of water is coming out the bottom and nothing out the sep tubs on top. No leaks in block from just running it.

He is accepting responsibility for it and is looking into his insurance. I will most likely take it to someone else that deals with these engines. it is an iron head 502 that is built. Water is in the oil pan from runnig it. We have an oil cooler system.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be and what we are looking at. The freeze plugs were brass, just FYI, which he said is good, as they push out easier. Might the block be fine and something with the oil cooler system that froze up.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Courtholl
I usually have someone else winterize my boat. not sure I will do this again. They went to the wrong house last year. They assured me they winterized it, etc. Anyway, I go to fire her up this year, and water does not come out the seperator tubs (dry exhaust). I see it coming out of the hull drain plug.

I shut it down quickly. I figured they did not put the drain plugs back in. I call them, and they send a tech out. he goes to the wrong house again. I call and ask when they are doing it. They said he went to house and wife said boat was fine. Finally, I get the main guy to my house. He looks and says freeze plugs pushed out.

He came back today to fire it up, etc. I am there and only a small amount of water is coming out the bottom and nothing out the sep tubs on top. No leaks in block from just running it.

He is accepting responsibility for it and is looking into his insurance. I will most likely take it to someone else that deals with these engines. it is an iron head 502 that is built. Water is in the oil pan from runnig it. We have an oil cooler system.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be and what we are looking at. The freeze plugs were brass, just FYI, which he said is good, as they push out easier. Might the block be fine and something with the oil cooler system that froze up.
You might be very lucky and got away with "only" a cracked oil cooler but i wouldn't count on it... Open up the oil cooler and see if you find any oil in the water passages or vise versa.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The area above the lifters are very weak.
I had a gen V that popped a frost plug, I later found out that the block had cracked.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Registered

I had the same thing a few years ago on a Cuda from not enough antifreeze while parked at my parents garage. Had water in the oil couldn't find a crack until we took off the heads. I had a crack in the lifter area as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

What they said. If it froze engough to push out the freeze plugs then it cracked the block in the lifter valley.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Insurance company is taking a look at the engine. i am just curious if it is better for them to have the engine rebuilt, or to just buy a package and drop it in. Engine was a custom engine with good internal parts, dry Gil offshore exhaust, upgrade oil cooler, etc. Base block is a 502 HO. Then custome built from there. Not blown by any means, just upgrade good parts, etc.

Would think it would cost more for them to pull it, take good parts off, and rebuild, etc., than it would cost to just purchase an HP 500 or somthing and put it in.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say the only way the insurance company is going to listen to the claim is if you have quotes for the repairs from a reputable shop. They will want proof that there is damage an want photos also. Make sure they include the cost to R&R everything even if you are doing it your self.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Courtholl
Insurance company is taking a look at the engine. i am just curious if it is better for them to have the engine rebuilt, or to just buy a package and drop it in. Engine was a custom engine with good internal parts, dry Gil offshore exhaust, upgrade oil cooler, etc. Base block is a 502 HO. Then custome built from there. Not blown by any means, just upgrade good parts, etc.

Would think it would cost more for them to pull it, take good parts off, and rebuild, etc., than it would cost to just purchase an HP 500 or somthing and put it in.
I wish you the best of luck Courtholl - Look forward to seeing you this summer on Lake Norman... I know that I will have my 28 Pantera up on your lake for the Carolina Power Boat Poker Run in July...

Ernie
Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

The weakest part of the block is the cam tunnel. I can assure you that your cam tunnel is cracked. You can throw it away if that is the case. Hope your insurance company comes through.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear this happened, When I lived up North, when they were done winterizing, they hung a tag(like the ones you see hanging from fire extinguishers) on the drive that said "Winterized", not sure if the marinas in your area do that, but If I didnt see one, I would have made damn sure it was done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.