Engine for 24

Notices

Engine for 24

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for 24

After a year of working with the people who did not winterize my boat but were paid too, I finally received a settlement from their insurance company. I had a 502 crate engine and the engine block cracked over the winter. We did about 71-73 just around 5,000 RPMs. Have a couple of engines/options that we are looking at, but wondering what is too much, and what might need mods with the hatch cover. Really do not want to have to put a scoop in. I also want a reliable, strong engine that does not need a full-time mechanic on staff.

what feedback does anyone have for engine, HP, etc. We had the 502 with the smaller carb and intake, and it just fit in. Not sure if the engine was sitting up higher than was needed, but we did have heavy duty mounts, etc.

Outdrive issues are a concern too. we have a Bravo I, and the guy I purchased the boat from said that he had heavier duty gears, etc. put in after he blew it out or hit something.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your not into a full time mechanic, or replacing drives, go back with what you had, or slightly more power, ya dont want to go much faster than what you already were in a 24 anyway.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Find a local builder...
Ask Mikes280, he in in your area, and should know of one or some ideas for your situation.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, just currious how nuch hp does a crate 502 have? good luck with what you choose. Jaime
Old 05-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen your "12:1" 509 do more than 6000 and still not stay together...so you lowered the comp and still think it will Rpm up there... how about balancing the "new" reciprocating assembly too?
* Just being Honest.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 05-15-2010 at 05:15 AM.