new guy just bought a 1977 24 pantera

Notices

new guy just bought a 1977 24 pantera

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default new guy just bought a 1977 24 pantera

hello all. i'm new to this forum. my name is rob and i just bought a vintage pantera.

i'm picking it up next week sometime and i'll post a bunch of pics and have a bunch of questions.

i bought it sight unseen from a good friend and i'm told it's in great shape. fresh water from day one and always stored inside.

the coolest thing about the boat is that he repowered it with a 426 hemi!

the hemi engine was not part of the deal but i bought all the associated hardware to put another hemi back in the boat. (manifolds, bellhousing, flywheel, motor mounts, drive coupler, all the hoses and brackets, etc.....)

i'm very excited and looking forward to working on getting it powered up for the next season. maybe not the hemi right away but i felt compelled to buy the hemi parts.

anyhow, i'll post some pics soon.

have a good night, rob
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

has the drive been converted? congrats on the new boat. i just bought mine in mid july and the guys on this forum have been alot of help. welcome to the family!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 88bullet
has the drive been converted? congrats on the new boat. i just bought mine in mid july and the guys on this forum have been alot of help. welcome to the family!!!
it still has the volvo 280 drive which i'm not thrilled about. i have to decide what to do about repowering it. i'm a fan of mercruiser stuff and i'd like to find a complete "takeout" rig (bbc/bravo one) and use that. i know an adapter gimble ring/plate is available.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the drive is a 280 with the integrated trim you may want to run it for a while they are good drives. The weak part performance wise is the steering helmet, it is very sloppy and flexes alot so external steering is a really good idea. Add a hydromotive nose cone and a custom Hill prop and you would probably be surprised. You can easily run a Merc BBC in front of the Volvo drive too if you wanted, just need the Volvo chev flexplate and bellhousing.

welcome to the board.

Last edited by IRONMAN; 09-07-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
If the drive is a 280 with the integrated trim you may want to run it for a while they are good drives. The weak part performance wise is the steering helmet, it is very sloppy and flexes alot so external steering is a really good idea. Add a hydromotive nose cone and a custom Hill prop and you would probably be surprised. You can easily run a Merc BBC in front of the Volvo drive too if you wanted, just need the Volvo chev flexplate and bellhousing.

welcome to the board.
thanks ironman.

the previous owner had a 426 hemi in front of the drive and said he never had a problem. the volvo drive is ugly as hell though.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i'm told that the hull is number 2 of the model year. how many 24's did they make in 77?

i'm dying to go see the boat and bring it home!

several friends have seen it and are all telling me how nice of a project it is. i hope so!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

pics
Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 8587gn
pics
Give the guy a chance ,he has"nt picked it up yet,Vintage good luck with your new boat.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

find CIG92 on the forums here or send him a pm. he has a old early 80's magnum and has a volvo transom plate of some sort with a bravo bolted right up to it. it looks great on the back off his boat. he will know how it was done and what parts you would need. nice guy full of useful info on that kind of stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.