Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
Prop question for 28 (hard to plane) >

Prop question for 28 (hard to plane)

Notices

Prop question for 28 (hard to plane)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop question for 28 (hard to plane)

I have a 28 twin big block pantera with bravo 1's outback spinning 4 blade bravo 30P props . I was told by the orginal owner that the x dimension was raised compared to the normal 28 pantera (has raised engine hatch and carbs/air cleaners are stuffed pretty tight against the hatch). My problem is that it is a real pain to plane. It is a touchy procedure to get it on plane without blowing the props loose in calm water. I got caught in some rough water this past week and it was impossible to get the boat to plane without blowing the props loose, I mean impossible. You almost have to see it to believe it. I was thinking of buying a set of 28 bravos as im not worring about loosing top end but am unsure exactly how much these would help. I am thinking that the 28's may break loose easier trying to plane compared to the 30's. What do you guys think?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

They also make spacers to get your drives a little deeper.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea, i'm not sure how changing the pitch will help planing.
The spacers will help for sure.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to make sure the diameter hasn't been cut down on your Bravo's. You'll want all of the diameter you can fit. You also may want to consider going up to 5 blade props. Drive spacers are also an option. Keeping the tabs down low on takeoff can help too. (around 6 or so on the indicators)
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

All good advice. Thanks

I get moving with the tabs level then when I get some speed and the props have a good bite I slowly bump the throttles then tab 3/4 down to get the bow to nose over. If I use positive tab before I start to plane it will start to blow the props loose. It's a real procedure unlike my last boat which I don't mind, but after not being able to get on plane on rough water I knew I have to make some changes.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

I have no problem getting on plane But I have TRS drives with a 2'' spacer also my props turn in.I think if you get those drives deeper you wont have any problems getting on plane.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

my twin ran the props outward. bravo 26's. never used tabs to get on plane!!! tabs down would lift the back too soon and would get prop blowout. my flat hatch had cutouts to fit the efi intakes. a 1" spacer in the drives would be a good starting point. when i had my single 1 inch made a world of difference in the boat.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Registered

Looks like I will do drive spacers in the fall. Im may step down to some 28's if I find a good deal on a used pair to make the boat a little more friendly for cruising.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Registered

What rpm are you pulling with the 30? If you can't pull it on the top end I'd got with a smaller pitch prop. If you can pull the 30's then I'd go spacers.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
What rpm are you pulling with the 30? If you can't pull it on the top end I'd got with a smaller pitch prop. If you can pull the 30's then I'd go spacers.
I have never stretched it out yet. The highest I have turned it was 4900 rpm @ 79.9 mph on GPS. With the drives in the water (had a trim pump that would not trim under load)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.