Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
2009 Pantera 28 SR >

2009 Pantera 28 SR

Notices

2009 Pantera 28 SR

Old 11-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mickeymccign is correct, I've stayed off the thread I started after coming back from Key West. My thread turned into a Pantera bashing fest.... Some of us would like to talk about our boats but it seems to many people on here like to play overlord.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to know what you think of the 28 stepped bottom. I also boat on the Chesapeake bay so I am familiar with the water conditons, surprised I haven't seen it around actually. And now that you've owned it awhile what are your opinions? With the 525 and now with 750. No pantera bashing just shop talk. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
I would like to know what you think of the 28 stepped bottom. I also boat on the Chesapeake bay so I am familiar with the water conditons, surprised I haven't seen it around actually. And now that you've owned it awhile what are your opinions? With the 525 and now with 750. No pantera bashing just shop talk. Thanks.
with 750 hp that has to be a 95 mph boat I would think ?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK
mickeymccign is correct, I've stayed off the thread I started after coming back from Key West. My thread turned into a Pantera bashing fest.... Some of us would like to talk about our boats but it seems to many people on here like to play overlord.
You were in key West for the races a few weeks ago? We were there too.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

I hit 93-94 with a Mercury labbed 32 4 blade 1/4 tank of gas my wife and I, cool air, cool water, and a light chop. What shocked me the most was the fact that it tracked like it was on rails. After we put the Whipple on it we hit 90 on the shake out run with a borrowed prop. The Whipple woke the boat up!

The 4 blade was brutal getting on plane. I've switched out to a P-5 29 and hit 87-88 consistently. Fast enough and the mid range punch is great!!

mickeymcclgn, the Chesapeake is like a washing machine :-)
bigboat28, Key West was great! The water Sunday was snotty!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I knew Pantera changed the bottom to a stepped bottom so how did they come about the new design ? Did they use the old V hull mold and stick an insert of the steps in that mold ? or redesigned the mold themselves or had one the navel architects design it for them. You just don't throw a step or 2 into a hull bottom to accomplish positive results of all running & handling aspects.. Just asking. In the vid the boat looks like it handles well.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK
I hit 93-94 with a Mercury labbed 32 4 blade 1/4 tank of gas my wife and I, cool air, cool water, and a light chop. What shocked me the most was the fact that it tracked like it was on rails. After we put the Whipple on it we hit 90 on the shake out run with a borrowed prop. The Whipple woke the boat up!

The 4 blade was brutal getting on plane. I've switched out to a P-5 29 and hit 87-88 consistently. Fast enough and the mid range punch is great!!

mickeymcclgn, the Chesapeake is like a washing machine :-)
bigboat28, Key West was great! The water Sunday was snotty!!!
Thats very good numbers for A big single boat!

With the stock 525 what speed?

Thanks
Mange
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

BUP, I really don't know how they came up with the twin step placement, but they know this hull inside out so? It handles fantastic!

Mange, it ran 78 with the 525 and a P-5 prop before the Whipple, the extra power woke the boat up!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I knew Pantera changed the bottom to a stepped bottom so how did they come about the new design ? Did they use the old V hull mold and stick an insert of the steps in that mold ? or redesigned the mold themselves or had one the navel architects design it for them. You just don't throw a step or 2 into a hull bottom to accomplish positive results of all running & handling aspects.. Just asking. In the vid the boat looks like it handles well.
I seem to recall Jo telling me during one of our phone conversations, that the steps are an insert for the mold, and that placement/design was done, for the most part, by Harry Schoell. I have had A LOT of beers between that conversation and now though! This dates back to when they were doing the first vented bottom.