Hole in floor forward cabin Pantera 24 >

Hole in floor forward cabin Pantera 24

Notices

Hole in floor forward cabin Pantera 24

Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in floor forward cabin Pantera 24

A pal and I have just started work on a very newly acquired 24. Engine out and drying out the engine bay. But we have liquid coming from the front cabin. Can some one please explain why there is water or liquid up front. There is a round hole in floor between toilet and entrance. This was full and soaking the carpets. Raised her to send liquid down to engine bay. Can we blank this hole off ? Any help suggestions would be great.
Thank you
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the drain pipe that runs from the cabin to the bilge. Don't block it.
It's a 3/4" PVC pipe.

My cabin has a stowage compartment where the pipe enters the cabin and it was rotten.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would consider it mandatory to cut the floor out and replace the fuel tank. If it's not already leaking, it will.

Check out my 24-7 pantera restoration thread for detailed pics and description.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dealse
A pal and I have just started work on a very newly acquired 24. Engine out and drying out the engine bay. But we have liquid coming from the front cabin. Can some one please explain why there is water or liquid up front. There is a round hole in floor between toilet and entrance. This was full and soaking the carpets. Raised her to send liquid down to engine bay. Can we blank this hole off ? Any help suggestions would be great.
Thank you
But what purpose does it serve to leave an open hole. Are you saying incase water enters the boat and into cabin it will drain down to bilge? Should it drain naturally to bilge ?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

But what purpose does it serve to leave an open hole. Are you saying incase water enters the boat and into cabin it will drain down to bilge? Should it drain naturally to bilge ?
Not if, when water gets in the cabin it will drain to the bilge through the pipe.

Post some pics of what your talking about.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

two schools of thought , Some builders count on water getting into the boat between bulkheads so the intent is to have a way for it to drain out . I now believe in sealing between all the bulkheads and not having a drain so water can swap between compartments. Sealed compartments give you more buoyancy especially in the event of a hull puncture .
I'm with Vintage Chromoly though , the tank needs to be taken out and probably replaced . Good luck and keep us updated with some pictures
Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OCCJoe
two schools of thought , Some builders count on water getting into the boat between bulkheads so the intent is to have a way for it to drain out . I now believe in sealing between all the bulkheads and not having a drain so water can swap between compartments. Sealed compartments give you more buoyancy especially in the event of a hull puncture .
I'm with Vintage Chromoly though , the tank needs to be taken out and probably replaced . Good luck and keep us updated with some pictures
Thank you guys. Just to be sure the tank lies back to front under the two seats not under the rear seat running sideways. We need to cut floor of cockpit yes ?

Vintage Chromoly, thank you. Very comprehensive buil with pics. Thanks.

We are checking to see if tank ever replaced before cutting floor, but is it a case of getting jigsaw and cutting. Any assistance on the area needed to be cut to view tank would be really appreciated.

We have got to this point just by asking about a hole in front cabin that was soaking the carpet.

Can't post pics from my iPad. Will have to wait till I get to my pc
Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Thank you guys. Just to be sure the tank lies back to front under the two seats not under the rear seat running sideways. We need to cut floor of cockpit yes ?

Vintage Chromoly, thank you. Very comprehensive buil with pics. Thanks.

We are checking to see if tank ever replaced before cutting floor, but is it a case of getting jigsaw and cutting. Any assistance on the area needed to be cut to view tank would be really appreciated.

We have got to this point just by asking about a hole in front cabin that was soaking the carpet.

Can't post pics from my iPad. Will have to wait till I get to my pc
Looks like the fuel tank was replaced not many years ago, so I have another question. How do we disconnect and remove the throttle from the instrument console. As you can see, novice starting from scratch, so please be gentle.

Thanks

Simon