Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
New engine needed for Red Roar 24 SE - Help... >

New engine needed for Red Roar 24 SE - Help...

Notices

New engine needed for Red Roar 24 SE - Help...

Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine needed for Red Roar 24 SE - Help...

Hi, i need some help from engine installer people please !
looks like the engine supplier in the UK that did marine now doesnt or might not so i need a plan B.
i have a volvo penta 280 rear leg i DONT want to change.
i had a 1985 chevy 350 in it that blew to bits so needs replacing. i dont know much about boats ok but have been advised that whilst doing this i might as well put a 454 in it.
i dont need a megga fast boat but if this gives me some headroom on a 350 i am fine with that but as long as it will bolt up to the 280 and the engine mounts the same and the leg wont fall to bits?
i presume that advice still is good although i havent a clue what HP or speed i might expect with either a 350 or 454 so if anyone has, that might be nice.

i need the lot but not too performance style but i am talking headers, carbs, heads, manifolds, pumps blah blah all done. all in a crate ready. it will be more family friends fun and the odd blast it time rather than any competition use so any thoughts welcome as i havent a clue about cost V performance.

i have some friends in National Marine inc ft Lauderdale area that can arrange shipping to us in England, if needed, so maybe that neck of the woods/coast would be way better.

i would prefer not to attempt to talk to a supplier that is going to throw me loads of questions that i have not a clue how to answer. can anyone help spec me something and guide me to a friendly, but very patient, well priced, SALT water engine and bits supplier as that way i might have half a chance of success in the conversation at least knowing what i think i want and why.

every day is a school day so please dont assume i know anything. patronising comments are more than welcome. i am determined.
russell
Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

With your Volvo 280 I would stick with a small block for power. Changing over to a big block is going to add weight and will also require a prop change which could be costly unless you can find something over the pond. I would look for a vortec small block like the one I listed below. You will get more power than you old Volvo 350 with minimal changes to the boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-5-7L-3...a9de0c&vxp=mtr
Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Registered

Hi Russell have you tried Real steel they allways had marine motors for sale 01895 440505 . Or you could go on the Boat Mad forum and post a wanted add
Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Registered

yes Paul thats the Marine supplier i was at today and they were not forthcoming but are going to try for me. i thought at one point in their life they carried stock but maybe now have changed their business profile as they certainly had nothing and werent too optomistic of getting one either. certainly no 454 at all in any shape.
i will look at that other forum.

i would still love advice as to what direction to go. might have fund a 388 stroker that might make sense but not marine. not sure EXACTLY what you should do to make the change either
Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Check w OSO member MANGE.
He is in Sweden an is part of a large offshore community.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Registered

thanks will check that out in sweden.
anyone else any ideas what to put in it that might work well in an old 24 or tried it or what do you have ?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:52 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep It Simple.... keep the small block.
Less changes = less $ to be spent.
Less power = less $ to be spent.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Registered

i am leaning to a 388 small block stroker. ok ??
anyone running that ?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what do you mean blew it to bits? did the block survive or suffer catastrophic damage? you can buy crank, rods, pistons, heads, cam...all of that stuff. but shipping an engine block from the states will be pricey. i have a decent 355 engine, has one bad rod-crank damage but didn't get hurt and it had very little time as a marine engine. if going 383, you need a new crank and pistons and i got small block rods out the wazoo. (never mind what that is american for.) 4 bolt block. i have too many small blocks filling my garage. BUT if i gave it to you it would still be expensive as hell to get it across the atlantic. are there any vehicles over there that run small block chevys? delivery trucks or such? personally i much prefer starting over with a block that had antifreeze in it it's whole life. the more i think about it i would stay with a 350. once you put in a longer stroke crank, it has to be correctly externally balanced. with the stock 3.48 inch chevy crankshaft there are none of those issues. because you don't want to be back on here 2 months after you get it together looking for another engine...i just posted a thread in trucks trailers and transportation about shipping a motor to england. maybe somebody knows how to get it done for less than an arm and a leg.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 01-27-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Registered

thats half the issue. things arent so easy to get here and its going to be a long way from home.
just really trying to work out what might be the best fit as regards power and reliability without going mad and having self inflicted wounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.