Pantera 28 refresh >

Pantera 28 refresh

Notices

Pantera 28 refresh

Old 09-07-2015, 02:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all,

Ok might have to post elsewhere in here but I have a question that might have been discussed to death in here but even so, I can not find threads with relevant info.

How do I get to approx. 400 hp on the Mercruiser 383 MPI reman engines????

I cant get the engines in a bench for testing and remapping (im in Europe....) but I can send the PCM555 to Whipple for remapping. I was planning to do this to get it configured to 91 oct (we call it 95 here) but before I do this I was thinking I could put in a new cam and possibly a new intake manifold? I hear this is where these engines seems to be loosing out some power? nothing crazy, all I want is 400 hp each side so I can keep my 23" Rev4 props but get from approx. 4900 rpm to 5200 plus if possible. Also I need to crack the 70 miles mark (im currently 67.....) im not looking for higher numbers really and certainly not willing to go BBC. I love the weight balance in the boat as it is now and I get on a plane faster than my brothers Outlaw 25 with 550 HP Raylar.

Personally I think the exhaust systems are not a must but I could be mistaking. I just don't see the value for money but obviously like the looks! With thru hull exhaust already I don't think a gain would be in there.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I would keep the swim platform silver I think it looks sweet that way... Also- those seats look factory, very nice!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW! It's great seeing these refurbs of the classic hulls.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Knallan77
all,

Ok might have to post elsewhere in here but I have a question that might have been discussed to death in here but even so, I can not find threads with relevant info.

How do I get to approx. 400 hp on the Mercruiser 383 MPI reman engines????

I cant get the engines in a bench for testing and remapping (im in Europe....) but I can send the PCM555 to Whipple for remapping. I was planning to do this to get it configured to 91 oct (we call it 95 here) but before I do this I was thinking I could put in a new cam and possibly a new intake manifold? I hear this is where these engines seems to be loosing out some power? nothing crazy, all I want is 400 hp each side so I can keep my 23" Rev4 props but get from approx. 4900 rpm to 5200 plus if possible. Also I need to crack the 70 miles mark (im currently 67.....) im not looking for higher numbers really and certainly not willing to go BBC. I love the weight balance in the boat as it is now and I get on a plane faster than my brothers Outlaw 25 with 550 HP Raylar.

Personally I think the exhaust systems are not a must but I could be mistaking. I just don't see the value for money but obviously like the looks! With thru hull exhaust already I don't think a gain would be in there.
I would leave the engines stock and just have Whipple do the remap to maximize them.
Then have your props labbed by BBlades.
Doing both will for sure get to crack 70mph.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered

Wow what a refurb. I had the pleasure of being on OSO member Paul Buckeners 28 a few times and they are a hell of a boat. I miss riding on that boat. He is located in the UK and is pretty knowledgeable engine wise. Try shooting him a pm
Old 09-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

great looking rig. You did a great job redoing that Pantera.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Registered

thanks again for all the nice comments.

Griff, yes good point, did not think of the labbing. Maybe get the prop's to BBlades also should give me a few more revs combined with the mapping.

I did write a few mails back and forth with Paul B but been a while. Think he is running with 496 but if he is into engines in general might be worth to ask for a bit of advise.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Registered

Paul is a very good guy. If he can help you with anything Im sure he will. Good luck