Is Pantera still around? >

Is Pantera still around?

Notices

Is Pantera still around?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy
I'm still at a loss in that a little over a decade the prices have doubled for products like that, is there a REAL reason? I saw some dude advertising a used Sunsation 28' here the other day for $135. You gotta be out of your mind to purchase something like that at that price.

What happened to Jo is a tragedy. I wish this boat line could continue but I could say that about a lot of boat lines.

Not sure you guys have priced out new boats but they are a fortune.
Not at all surprised to hear a guy is trying to get 135 for a 28 footer - he probably paid 150 or more.

The permits,city fees, random inspections from all sorts of interesting "authorities", manufacturing insurance, zoning problems, labor, workmens comp, engines and drivetrains, material cost have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

UD

I was nearly a story like Joe myself - I had a kidney removed that was stage 3b with no symptoms in 2012 -I got lucky and found it before it burst and filled my body with cancer. It can happen to anyone.

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 08-15-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrizer
I went to their shop once and talked to Pepe for a little while, very nice and let me look around at whatever. The stuff that was in production was being done very clean and appeared to be solid. It is a shame that any kind of business that produces stuff of that caliber is no longer around. Same for Powerplay. I don't know anything about the publicized deals that went south but it may just be a case of a company struggling to survive which often means taking very risky chances and when they don't work out someone unfortunately gets hurt. It doesn't mean the intent was bad or the competency wasn't there just some combination of a poor economy and business decisions that in hindsight would've probably been made differently. Some of these companies probably should've have closed up years before they did as they had solid reputations until the end. Kinda like a pro football player that played a season or two beyond his usefulness.

As for pricing it's crazy, I'm at a point in life that I can finally now afford that new boat that I've been thinking about for years, however when I went shopping I quickly realized that I can't afford it. You always had to have decent money to buy one of these things but it's really up there now. When I think about the technology in my truck compared to what's in these boats the truck is light years ahead but still affordable. However if GM only built 50 Sierra's a year I probably couldn't afford it.
The truck market right now is absolutely stupid and the used truck market is nuts. You routinely seeing 15 + year old trucks with over 150k miles listing for 18 grand...... Its like they are Apaches or something,,,,
Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Not sure you guys have priced out new boats but they are a fortune.
Not at all surprised to hear a guy is trying to get 135 for a 28 footer - he probably paid 150 or more.

The permits,city fees, radon inspections from all sorts of interesting "authorities", manufacturing insurance, zoning problems, labor, workmens comp, engines and drivetrains, material cost have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

UD

I was nearly a story like Joe myself - I had a kidney removed that was stage 3b with no symptoms in 2012 -I got lucky and found it before it burst and filled my body with cancer. It can happen to anyone.
I own a business and get it but sheesh, over double in a decade is brutal. I got our wonderful gov't up my ass too in construction. Not sure what I'll be doing once I'm back in the game but I have a bit of time before that happens. $135 for a used 28' is asinine no matter how you rationalize it and one reason this boating market is in quick decline.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The whole problem isn't that the boats are costing so much its the hardware everyone is wanting when they build a boat because of whats available . Show me a boat that was built in the last five years where the customer just wanted a 496 bravo and conservative trim tabs and I'll show you an affordable boat . But thats not the case is it ? Everyone wants the biggest , baddest , and fastest out there and Mercury standing there with their hand out selling engine packages from 50 to 300K per package .
I of all people get it but does anyone even know why a 1350 package cost north of 200K . I mean in the end its a block with heads pistons and turbos . What do you think the actual raw material cost is in parts ?
We've talked about it before . I can buy an insane set of headers for my chevy with an LS in it for $1000 but the headers in my boat are $10,000 . We feed the machine . You could go buy that 28-30 single for $75K out the door but its not gonna be the fastest or the baddest is it ?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by phragle
The truck market right now is absolutely stupid and the used truck market is nuts. You routinely seeing 15 + year old trucks with over 150k miles listing for 18 grand...... Its like they are Apaches or something,,,,

I was looking at new F250s the other day and they're $50k, another asinine expense. In 2002 I was into it for $100k for a new Nordic and F250, now the same rig is $200. I have an '08 F250 with 120k on it and it ain't going anywhere. I've had it since new and have taken really good care of it. I'm taking it to the paint shop to have the bumpers repainted and a few areas touched up and I'll be good to go for another 100k. I clay bar it every spring, wax with Duragloss and pretty much fuss over it, people think it's new. With these prices I'm having onto it for the rest of my life.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a Excavation/Demolition co. we are and have been working cheaper for the last 8 years. makes it tough to keep upgrading.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
I own a Excavation/Demolition co. we are and have been working cheaper for the last 8 years. makes it tough to keep upgrading.
Same here with a Lawn service , same price charged as 15 years ago and if you try to raise them $ 5 they will cancel and go to the next company " Freaking crazy "
Old 08-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

I've been raising my rates in my construction business like crazy, still backed up with approvals and getting more calls than ever. Whatever...
Old 08-14-2016, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I've been raising my rates in my construction business like crazy, still backed up with approvals and getting more calls than ever. Whatever...
I have heard that from the concrete guys also.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by class6
I have heard that from the concrete guys also.
Yeah...no kidding, I'm trying to build a garage for ME for a change and MY COST is $18,000. Wow...still in shock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.