Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Pantera
New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics. >

New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.

Notices

New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.

Old 10-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.

This is a 2003 24 we delivered last month to a customer in Canada.It was powered with twin 225 Pro Max Merc. outboards mounted on a short bracket.We extended the rear bulkhead back adding more cockpit space.

This 24 is the SE model which has a flip up cabin door with facing sit down seats and V-berth in the cabin.

Top Speed was near 90 MPH.

JO
Attached Thumbnails New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.-wellum-trailer-transom.jpg  
Old 10-01-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

This is a pic.of the cockpit.

We extended the rear bulkhead back to give extra cockpit space.It still has a smaller size sunpad with custom Pantera embroidery.

JO
Attached Thumbnails New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.-wellum-cockpit.jpg  
Old 10-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Registered

This is a pic. sitting on the beach.

JO
Attached Thumbnails New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.-wellum-beach.jpg  
Old 10-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That would be a FUN boat!

Are you listening Caincando 1?

Bruce
Old 10-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

That is a kick butt boat Jo. I love it! Are you starting to see more requests for OB's?

Brian
Old 10-01-2002, 01:34 PM
KN
Registered

Thumbs up

Jo, that is an awsome looking ride. How much does a 225 ProMax cost? How much HP would it take for an I/O to push 90 MPH? It must be cheaper to go with the twin ProMax's than a single high horsepower big block. And there must be some weight savings. Could you put the sit down buckets, in that set up. ( The ones I saw in 24' P-5 boat that was for sale a while ago)

Thanks Kirk

PS. What kind of speed do you think a 24' with a 300x Would run, and what about the price compairison between a single 300x and twin 225's.

Last edited by KN; 10-01-2002 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Registered

Hey KN,

I have done a few 24s recentley with 500 EFIs that are running in the 85 MPH range on GPS.To get a real 90 MPH on GPS it would take approximately 600 HP.

I did one last year with a 700 HP Blower and pushed the boat into the mid upper 90s on GPS.Much faster than what the customer wanted for speed.

The 24 with a single 300X even though I have not done one with this set up I am confident would run in the 70 plus range.

The price on a new 225 Pro Max is in the $ 14,000 Range.

If you were to go with twin 225 PRO MAXS compared to a single 500 EFI for example: the twin 225 PRO MAX outboards and bracket would be about the same cost of a 500 EFI but the twin outboard would require a bit more labor and extra parts for this set up.

The outboard set up could have the rear bulkhead extended back and given more space in the cockpit.

When it comes to balance it is pretty close and they both perform well.Speed is also pretty close , mid to upper 80s on GPS.

Price diffrence between a single 300x and twin 225 Pro Maxs on a 24 would be approximately $ 12,000 between motor diffrence and parts and labor.

If you need anything else answered please feel free to email me back or call me here at Pantera.

Thanks, JO
Old 10-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Hey Brian,

I am building another 24 now for a customer with the same set up.Twin 225 Pro Maxs with extended cockpit.It will be going to the Bahamas.He saw this boat and wanted the same set up.Outboards are very popular set up for ocean boaters because you can trim them out of salt water.

We started the outboard craze when my Father started racing for Mercury with the # 2 and # 3 2.4 Mercs and broke the Miami to New York outboard record with them.

We normally do more I/Os than outboards but lately we have been getting some request for outboard setups.

We just delivered also Gary MMM 24 with the single 250 Yamaha HPDI and ran great.There are picture posted in this Pantera section.

P.S. say hi to Thirst Turtle for me.

Regards, JO
Old 10-01-2002, 09:46 PM
KN
Registered

Jo thanks, for answering my questions, I really like the set up with the twin 225 ProMax's. A little extra cabin space, plus the whole engine bay for extra storage. Plus twin engine reliability.

You mentioned that the performance, balance and speed on both boats is similar ( twin 225's vs single 500 EFI ) I was just curious which one may be the optimal set up. The twin ProMax's combined are 363 Lbs. lighter than a single HP-500 with the Bravo-One Drive, according to the Merc. web site. Plus the weight is set back further, and it looks like props are further back with the outboards.

I'm just curious on your thoughts, I can give you a call to talk about this, if you would like. I just don't want to take up too much of your time.

Thanks Kirk

Last edited by KN; 10-01-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

Hey Kirk,

It really boils down to customer preferanceon this one.

The twin outboard set up when mounted on a short aluminum bracket allows adjustment of engine height up or down several inches.We balance the boat a bit diffrently with outboards than with an I/O and set up our engine room stringers higher giving added support to the transom.

You also have counter rotating props ( left and right ) but added drag by having an extra motor and prop in the water compared to a single.The bracket setback normally in the 18-20 inch range will allow us to mount the motors higher and get cleaner water to the props with less drag. Kind of like having a notched transom on the hull.

Like I said on my last post to you this set up is popular for salt water boaters to trim the motors out of the water if docked overnight.

The single 500 EFI will have a lower center of gravity but a fixed drive height when installed.After so many 24s built we know optimum drive height performance.I can honestly say that the 500 EFI is a great reliable package after running it in Factory class racing last year and putting it in major punishment over 12 races at wide open throttle for over 1 hour at times.

The outboard model with the extended cockpit allows us to extend the fuel capacity on the 24 to over 100 gallons of fuel.

You got to remember also with a 500 EFI Merc. you will run 5300 RPM at WOT and a 225 Pro Max will be in the 6700 - 6800 RPM range at WOT. The outboards will be more sensetive to throttling in rough water due to the increase in rpm and prop shaft durability (especially with 4 blades).

I think it boils down to what is easier for you to maintain and the area you will be boating at.Security of an extra motor for long trips is something to think about.

Speed and acceleration is pretty close.

If I can answer any more questions let me know.

Regards, JO

Quick Reply: New 24 Pantera powered with Twin 225 Pro Max Pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.