Notices

Tell me about the 28 Pantera...

Old 04-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Twins

Indy,
My '99 28 has twin 502 Mags. The boat handles great. The weight of the twin big blocks keeps the tail down...but she flies level with just a hair of tab..
I've run a few small boats with twins, and none have handled the weight, or the power as well as this boat.
6.2's would be great. I was actually going to order a new boat with 6.2's, but Jo had my boat ready to go... The big blocks were way to hard to pass up.
I thought abouth having Jo cut down the floor on my boat... I wonder if he'd do it for free???
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 04-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Indy,

In my opinion twin small blocks are a great way to go. If I were buying a new 28' I would personally go with twin 350 Mag's (300 HP) and Bravo 1's. First off they cost and weigh a hell of a lot less than big blocks and cost considerably less than the 6.2's (which only make 20HP more) with the money saved vs the 6.2s you could offset a nice exhaust system. And most importantly parts are a heck of a lot cheaper when the warranty expires.
I'm not knocking Big Blocks ....it's just I think small blocks will give just as much fun and for a lot less coin.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Angel, Once you go big block you never go back
Old 04-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Cool Angel...

Angel,
Got that boat in the water yet?
I'm planning to take the boat to Miami for the SBI race... We should meet up. You and the Mrs are welcome to jump in with us if your boat isn't ready.
One problem though... My boat has big blocks. I don't want you to be scared...

I don't know if I could go to small blocks after having this boat with twin 502 MPIs...
It's better to have too much than not enough..
954-809-8739
Old 04-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tim,

Angel should be boating this weekend.I told him to get his swim suit ready.We are almost done with his boat.

Regards,

JO
Old 04-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys ..guys ...I'm not against Big Blocks....Nothing else makes power like cubes..I was just saying that small blocks have some advantages that I think some people overlook.

Hey Tim G. thanks for the invite! But, hopefully we should be ready to roll soon. Either way we should hook up.

Jo, thanks for calling me and giving me the update on the work in progress.

My boat is almost done

Last edited by Pantera24; 04-16-2003 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, what kind of speeds would you expect from a twin 350 mag or the 6.2's? Is it smart to upgrade from Bravo 1's because of the weight of the boat?

Randy
Old 04-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Thumbs up Almost done...

Angel,
We'll talk next week. I plan to put the boat in at Haulover for the SBI race... Spectating by boat is the best way to do it..

Taylor,
The boat with twin 320hp should be a mid 70's boat. Nothin' pulls a big prop like a 502. Mine run right up to the rev limiters at 82 mph turning 26p. She'd have no problem pulling 28s, but I love that nasty acceleration and ower to leap wave to wave. Ya'll ain't gonna see that with small blocks!
I think your question is asking weather you should go Bravo rather than the Alphas. Upgrading to Bravo drives is probably the wisest decision you'll make. Alpha's will work, but you have to keep them in the water... Bravo's are the only way to "fly" if you run in big water.
954-809-8739
Old 04-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, can you even upgrade the bravo 1 to an xr using a small block engine? i was asking not because of the engine but because of the weight of the boat. also, you wont be jumping with small blocks? how much weight do you save with twin smallblocks over twin bigblocks or even a single?
Old 04-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Jo can probably tell us more, but I suspect if you get a pair of built up small blocks like 400 CI pushing 400 to 450 hp each, with the weight savings you'd be close to big block speeds, just a guess though. The extra elbow room would be nice too. No need to get the XR with those engines, bravo will do just fine.

Quick Reply: Tell me about the 28 Pantera...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.