Humble question- singe v bottom driving tips >

Humble question- singe v bottom driving tips

Notices

Humble question- singe v bottom driving tips

Old 05-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humble question- singe v bottom driving tips

I figured I'd expose myself on this forum vs. being more vulnerable on the general forum.

I'm manly enough to ask for directions when I'm somewhat lost....

I've only been running fast boats since 01 when I bought a 25 Daytona which I guess in retrospect spoiled me. It was a very forgiving boat, easy to drive at speed, predictable and the only unnerving issue was the flat corners at speed which were more of an issue for those not in the driver's seat.

Having sold the Daytona, and moved to a 28 with 650 ponies, I'm on a learning curve, and would rather be humbled than hurt or worse. So first off, are there any good books to buy?? I do subscribe to PB and formerly to HB but they never seem to sink their teeth into much. I'm mechanical and somewhat anal, an ME and I race (Pretty well) in the rock crawling off- road stuff- point being, I can listen and learn.

Cruising is a no brainer but occasionally the lake is quiet and a friend with a 32 fever and I will run 20 miles back from where we hang to where we live. We're talking fresh water lake with the worst being confused chop/converging wakes and the occassional cruiser wake.

So what are the tips/settings for converging wakes/confused slop to avoid/minimize pitching as you hit it?? I generally run (at faster speeds) 2-3 ticks past neutral trim with the tabs pulled up 2-3 above neutral (neutral is measured and marked on the indicators- told you I was anal). Perhaps a twin boat is more balanced/stable in these conditions- I'm not sure. I just don't want to leave anything on the table, either in performance or safety margin for my family (they like it fast too). In all honesty, the cat was extremely at home in these same conditions and I guess I spent the last few yrs "coasting" thru school rather than learning- so I need to catch up. For the racers amongst you- I'm not looking for all your speed secrets (though I'd welcome them in a PM) I just want to do the Pantera family proud and handle the boat like a "PRO". Thanks in advance for your help! I've got thick skin- so don't sugarcoat it- just teach me!

Oh yea, in two weeks- I hope- I'll have a new P5X five blade which will hopefully give a little more bow lift/ cruising efficiency- if that's relavent.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: Humble question- singe v bottom driving tips

WT- thanks It'll be rare that the boat leaves the water on my lake (though trips to Grand and LOTO are in the plans) so I rarely drag a tab except for balance and crosswinds.

so far I've seen a best off 77-78 with a labbed 28 Bravo, fresh water, about a third of a tank and 1120 feet of elevation. the 650 firgure is reported to be at the crank, going on Dustin's word rather than dyno.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

In the water you're describing, I run at 3-4 on drive and run the tabs about neutral(@4). Depending on how fast I'm running, I generally need to run a 1/2 click more tab on the left till I get over 45-50mph.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Im giving my 2 cents not worth much .This weekend in jacksonville fire run . Huge washing machine wakes 200 boats .V botom boats dont like it real well cats will do beter . My experence is level tabs with botom of boat drag left if needed slight positive on trim . If water real rough tuck drive level on right tab drop left one to 5-6 on scale . Note to self I hooked it and spun the boat at 70 mph I was so close to going out it was a done deal. Tabs can be friendly to much will get you hurt . The picture of the green one on the web page with the tabs down I would not be in that boat .I found on the gps a spot about 3 where it stabled the boat at speed and did not drop mph that is where I keep them unless water gets real rough.