OPBA "Spring" Poker Run / 4-30-05 >

OPBA "Spring" Poker Run / 4-30-05

Notices

OPBA "Spring" Poker Run / 4-30-05

Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPBA "Spring" Poker Run / 4-30-05

Well despite rather blustery conditions (blowing like hell) we had a blast. The group left Leverrocks in St. Pete and decided to go down to Sarasota Bay inside because it was so rough. Speed2Lead tried showing off his "prop walking" skills and said to hell with that and just took it easy getting down to the Hyatt.

I was the second card stop inside of New Pass, (after getting chased out of my chosen anchorage by the water cops, said I was taking up too much of the channel, yeah right...) and got the cards passed out then joined up with everyone at the Casey Key Fish House for lunch and live music. Cold beer also. Ummmm, good, but just one....

Then I left early to set up for the 4th card stop near Marina Jacks but it was just too rough. That's without question the roughest I've ever been out on Sarasota Bay. Went looking for some spot to set up in but the only place was tucked into a little cover on the north end of Marina Jacks. Was just getting ready to toss the anchor overboard and another water cop comes up and asked me what I was doing. I told him and he ointed to a "Manatee Area" sign and said if I could read. I politely said yes, I'd idled in and everyone would also be at idle, to pick up a card, .....duh......anyway he said no way was he gonna let me set up there so he kicked me out. Mind you this is the EXACT area where 70 ft. cruisers are "slipped" over 200 of them, and he's worried about 30 idling boats????

Azzhole.....

So I called "the Prez" and just blew it off and everone met back at the Hyatt. It was a GREAT Time. Unfortunately I blew out of the house and forgot the dig camera so no pix. I think Johno got some.

Started raining HARD around 4:30 this morning, hope everyone's float switches are working back in the Hyatt Basin.

If anyone has pix, please post them.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default Re: OPBA "Spring" Poker Run / 4-30-05

Russ, didn't I expressedly remind you to take the camera??
Old 05-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
Russ, didn't I expressedly remind you to take the camera??

Ahhhhh, emmmmm, ahem, yes you did. I will now sing a verse of "Sailing, Sailing, over the Bounding (is that right?) Main" as punishment....
Old 05-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

Dude, Going home around 10:30 11:00 was pure hell. The winds appeared to have laid down a bit, so most said lets do it, Johno said me and him will cross Tpa Bay together. When I got to the middle of Tpa Bay the waves were 5-6 ft. following, we simiulated stuffing several times at 2500 rpm just enough to keep it on plane and the waves from swamping me from behind. The nose stuffed several times and sent a wall of water smashing into us. Jana looked in the back seat and it was filled with water. She started to FREAK thinking we were sinking. I kepy moving and tried counter steering to the waves. I did not want to lose power now. Bilge pumps were on and dumping water like a dam resevoir. Then we made it across and Johno was there waiting to see if I was going to NEED HELP. We were soaked and so was Johno and his wife. If anyone tells you just speed up and get on top,rest assured they dont have a cat. That kinda of water and cats are no match. I will never attemp that again. Dont get me wrong, I never attempted to get speed in that. Safety first!!!
JOHNO YOU ARE THE MAN!!! THANKS FOR BEING THERE JUST IN CASE.

Im sure if I would have thought lets just get speed up and get on top, it would have been disastrous. Just stay focused and deterimend and you can beat it.
I was the only cat that did not break or turn back, but I can assure you I wont make that mistake twice. I stayed inside safe while the others thought they could run in that. I knew better, these boats will run in 2-3, but anything over 3 your playing with fire.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Registered

Frank,
At one point across Tampabay I had a bad feeling as I lost sight of you. I slowed to turn around and come looking for ya, then all of a sudden you were there again Trust me Tawana was praying that you guys were okay & that we did't have to go back. I had a bad feeling that you guys may have been taking swimming lessons. She was in tears when we got into the chanel...She was just so happy to be in the channel & we had all made the crossing safely. Your wife is a "Warrior Princess" after what you guys went through.
I was real happy with the way my boat rode this weekend as I beat on her pretty hard Sat, could't believe I beat the tach needle off. Definately V-bottom weather.
Glad we can laugh about this trip...see ya in Jacksonville?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

Johno was on the phone with me today and said something about the poker run in Jax. I could hear Tawana say something in the background, then Johno tells her, "It's in the river honey". I don't think she was looking forward to another day like today.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

Frank/Johno, I need your guy's cell #'s. Was worried about your going back today. Then Cuda posted that he'd heard from Johno so that made me feel a little better. I was surprised that Tampa Bay was still kicked up so bad.

Frank, trying to get across Tampa Bay in that kind of a following sea must've been just flat our scary. In those conditions you have to run at an angle to the waves to keep your props in the water, otherwise you end up "surfing" with no control. Great job of keeping your head on your shoulders and getting you and your wife safely through that. Johno did for you (making sure you were safe) what you would do for any of us. THAT I KNOW.......

Bill Pyburn got a message to me that he wants me to help out in some way with the Jacksonville Poker Run, so looks like I'm doing that too.

I'm glad you, and I hope everyone else, made it home safely.

You are absolutely right about one think Frank, safety FIRST, no ifs, ands, or buts. about it.

Russ
Old 05-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

One other thing. If we should ever get into that situation again instead of trying to get back by boat, I'll just drive you guys up to get your tow rigs so you can come back down and retrieve at the 10th st. ramps. Russ
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

I was doing the angle, but it was feeling like it wanted to barrel roll. One sponson would bite hard and the front felt like it wanted to hook at that point. I never felt that I was losing it, just makes you a little better capt. Having to deal with it just wakes you up to mother natures rath and she was *****H SLAPPING me today.