Notices

Poker run newbie questions

Old 07-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Poker run newbie questions

Originally Posted by Caincando1
Egos.....Bragging rights.....Advertisment....

None of it is good for the sport. It will give people the wrong idea.

Sport???
Old 07-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Poker run newbie questions

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have a question too. If poker runs are not a race, why do people always make a point of saying who got to the stops first? I saw a post were someone was talking about the NYC run saying that the first 10 boats to the first stop were Outerlimits. Not a race?
Originally Posted by Caincando1
Egos.....Bragging rights.....Advertisment....

None of it is good for the sport. It will give people the wrong idea.

Motorcycle clubs put on poker runs as well. They aren't races but if someone wants to be the first to the stop is there a problem with that? On the water you don't get many chances to see how your boat stacks up to someone who lives across the country. You can at a big poker run.

The ones who say poker runs are purely ego fests are purely jealous and have no idea what they are talking about. I don't run full throttle the entire time at the runs. If someone wants to, more power to them. I like to hear who was the fastest that day. There are always a few azzholes at ANY large event. You shouldn't let them ruin your fun. If you do, you probably shouldn't be there, or at any social gathering for that matter.

It's obviously great for the sport since the race organizations are a total joke. The runs bring new people together and usually raise money for a good cause. I have made tons of friends because of the runs. I feel sorry for people who are missing out because of ridiculous assumptions.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

We are new to the Poker Run scene as well. We just did our third one last weekend. We have been to Daytona, Jacksonville, and Sarasota. Running hard is always part of the fun to see who you can beat but it is great to see the different places as well. There is ALWAYS someone bigger and faster than you so to us, it doesn't matter if we are 1st or not. We go to hang out with friends and BS at the bar

LS JR.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Registered

Well, I kind of understand everyone's point of view, just not sure I can decide to spend the extra cash, vs just hanging out, learning, observing and making friends. Maybe just being there will intoxicate me to the point that I have to actually run next time.

It's not unlike going to my first national rockcrawl event in Johnson Valley CA in 2002. I entered for fun, and to race against the best- legends like Walker Evans, Chris Durham, Tracy Jordan- I had a blast and now I'm a diehard rock racer.

If you see a red white and blue Pantera or a couple Pantera Jersey lurking, be sure and say hi- and maybe twist my arm a little. See some of you at Ugly's in a bout 10 days
Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Could someone tell me the date of the Destin poker run, I need to be down there late aug. might be able to time it right..Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rdp145
Could someone tell me the date of the Destin poker run, I need to be down there late aug. might be able to time it right..Thanks

8/20
Old 07-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattitude

It's not unlike going to my first national rockcrawl event in Johnson Valley CA in 2002. I entered for fun, and to race against the best- legends like Walker Evans, Chris Durham, Tracy Jordan- I had a blast and now I'm a diehard rock racer.
Exactly.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered

I think alot has to do on how you look at a Poker Run. I run on poker runs to be with me friends and have fun in the boat. I don't give a crap on how fast or who was first at the first stop. Just have fun. BTW I think the Grand Slam was one of my favroite's. Good people, lot's of fun.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have a question too. If poker runs are not a race, why do people always make a point of saying who got to the stops first? I saw a post were someone was talking about the NYC run saying that the first 10 boats to the first stop were Outerlimits. Not a race?
I can understand how you might say that, but if you spend money to have a really fast boat don't you think that it is natural to want to run it hard against other similiar boats, it's only human nature. We have a BT and it is not that fast, but we still enjoy the runs, we love watching the faster boats, we even enjoy seeing them blow by us. And once we are back at the docks it is fun mixing in with everyone. Some of our closest friends have been made through here or on the runs. Before when it was just my husband and I running fast by ourselves I used to say whats the point, now that we travel in groups I am yelling faster dammit
Old 07-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
I can understand how you might say that, but if you spend money to have a really fast boat don't you think that it is natural to want to run it hard against other similiar boats, it's only human nature. We have a BT and it is not that fast, but we still enjoy the runs, we love watching the faster boats, we even enjoy seeing them blow by us. And once we are back at the docks it is fun mixing in with everyone. Some of our closest friends have been made through here or on the runs. Before when it was just my husband and I running fast by ourselves I used to say whats the point, now that we travel in groups I am yelling faster dammit
I didn't ask that question because I think there is anything wrong with it. I completly understand. When I see another performance boat heading in the same direction I am I will always test to see what they have.

Quick Reply: Poker run newbie questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.