Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered Cattitude's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '02 Daytona 30
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Lowell, Arkansas, Beaver Lake
    Posts
    1,210

    Poker run newbie questions

    You don't know what you don't know- and I don't know much about poker runs- so I've got some humble questions

    We (Wife, Tina and 11 yr old son) are going to be on the water this yr for two Poker runs- Grand Lake, Ok in a couple weeks and Destin in late August.

    Both are great places to go any time, but we were able to schedule to be there with our 28' Pantera for these weekends.

    So...... why would a couple want to participate in the run itself vs just being around and enjoying the show? What exactly trips your trigger to make you want to do it again?

    After having my 25' Daytona, the Pantera is more of a family cruiser for me, I don't feel the need to go point to point as fast as possible, I like a good 45-50 mph cruise and much past that get's a little uncomfortable for Tina.

    I've made a few passes at the LOTO shootout a few yrs back, and while it was fun, I'd prefer to just spectate next time I go (this yr).

    I've raced drag (mud) cars and currently compete rockcrawling, so my motorsports competitve needs are being filled.

    Sorry for the long story- just trying to give and get perspective- somebody please educate me and twist my arm

  2. #2
    Registered
    My Boats:
    Renegade 29
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Tampabay Florida
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cattitude
    You don't know what you don't know- and I don't know much about poker runs- so I've got some humble questions

    We (Wife, Tina and 11 yr old son) are going to be on the water this yr for two Poker runs- Grand Lake, Ok in a couple weeks and Destin in late August.

    Both are great places to go any time, but we were able to schedule to be there with our 28' Pantera for these weekends.

    So...... why would a couple want to participate in the run itself vs just being around and enjoying the show? What exactly trips your trigger to make you want to do it again?

    After having my 25' Daytona, the Pantera is more of a family cruiser for me, I don't feel the need to go point to point as fast as possible, I like a good 45-50 mph cruise and much past that get's a little uncomfortable for Tina.

    I've made a few passes at the LOTO shootout a few yrs back, and while it was fun, I'd prefer to just spectate next time I go (this yr).

    I've raced drag (mud) cars and currently compete rockcrawling, so my motorsports competitve needs are being filled.

    Sorry for the long story- just trying to give and get perspective- somebody please educate me and twist my arm
    My wife & I feel the same. We now run a centre console & enjoy the 40-50mph deal. Sometimes the crowd can be very clicky as well. I enjoy running with other boats in a laid back type enviroment, some Guys type think it's a race & it can become kinda unsafe at times.
    You'll love Destin, the water in that area is awesome.

  3. #3
    Registered Cattitude's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '02 Daytona 30
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Lowell, Arkansas, Beaver Lake
    Posts
    1,210

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Johno
    My wife & I feel the same. We now run a centre console & enjoy the 40-50mph deal. Sometimes the crowd can be very clicky as well. I enjoy running with other boats in a laid back type enviroment, some Guys type think it's a race & it can become kinda unsafe at times.
    You'll love Destin, the water in that area is awesome.
    I know what you mean about the clicky thing- but it kind of goes both ways- I hang with like minded boaters who can handle their vessel and take care of their equipment. The flip side are the guys with pencil fenders, no docking skils, rash all over their boat and don't keep it reliable, generally goofing up a perfectly good lake day.

    As for Destin- we lived there for 5 yrs, even raced (GASP) cats with sails
    Last edited by Cattitude; 07-04-2005 at 10:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Registered Formula Outlaw's Avatar
    My Boats:
    was a 89" Formula 311-SR1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    In the Mountains
    Posts
    11,772

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Johno
    My wife & I feel the same. We now run a centre console & enjoy the 40-50mph deal. Sometimes the crowd can be very clicky as well. I enjoy running with other boats in a laid back type enviroment, some Guys type think it's a race & it can become kinda unsafe at times.
    You'll love Destin, the water in that area is awesome.

    I like running in the 50/55 mph cruise range. Just taking it easy and enjoying the ride. And Johno nailed it with the "clicky crowd" issue. Reminds of high school sometimes. I just laugh at it. I've been to a few boating events where there was more "plastic" than in a Matel toy factory.

    Poker Runs for me are more about enjoying a good time with good friends, not being the first one to a card stop. And as with everything, to each his own....

  5. #5
    VIP Member VIP Member offshoredrillin's Avatar
    My Boats:
    00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    10,139

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    I have fun on the poker runs, I dont care about being the first to every stop. My tiger certainly isnt the fastest, but it's VERY reliable. I passed alot of big power sitting in the water broken. When it came tme for dinner after the run, the only person not talking to anyone because he was "too cool" no one wanted to talk to anyhow. Look at it as a time to have fun with your family and teach your son that even though it's not a race, there is competition envolved..ie poker hand

  6. #6
    Gold Member Gold Member Dave M's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2006 30 Superboat
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LaPlata, MD, USA
    Posts
    4,536

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    I have a question too. If poker runs are not a race, why do people always make a point of saying who got to the stops first? I saw a post were someone was talking about the NYC run saying that the first 10 boats to the first stop were Outerlimits. Not a race?

  7. #7
    Charter Member Charter Member P Offshore's Avatar
    My Boats:
    44 MTI , 42 Fountain SSM 6's, 36 Cigarette Gladiator, 28 Cigarette
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    GLOC
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cattitude
    You don't know what you don't know- and I don't know much about poker runs- so I've got some humble questions

    We (Wife, Tina and 11 yr old son) are going to be on the water this yr for two Poker runs- Grand Lake, Ok in a couple weeks and Destin in late August.

    Both are great places to go any time, but we were able to schedule to be there with our 28' Pantera for these weekends.

    So...... why would a couple want to participate in the run itself vs just being around and enjoying the show? What exactly trips your trigger to make you want to do it again?

    After having my 25' Daytona, the Pantera is more of a family cruiser for me, I don't feel the need to go point to point as fast as possible, I like a good 45-50 mph cruise and much past that get's a little uncomfortable for Tina.

    I've made a few passes at the LOTO shootout a few yrs back, and while it was fun, I'd prefer to just spectate next time I go (this yr).

    I've raced drag (mud) cars and currently compete rockcrawling, so my motorsports competitve needs are being filled.

    Sorry for the long story- just trying to give and get perspective- somebody please educate me and twist my arm
    I understand your point.
    I have run them both ways and it really is fun either way; but being a part of the group and enjoying the other activities as well as supporting the runs so they can continue are some of the reasons I pay for the runs. Then there is always the chance that you will take a check home that more than pays for the entitre trip and the photos; what a great way to get great shots of yor family and your boat. If you mingle a little at the registration/check in parties you will find the wide open guys and also the cruise guys and setup a little gruop that will run the same speeds etc.. and not only have a great time but also make some good friends that enjoy the same sport you do. There is a really a good chance the people you meet and run with at one event will also be at the next and the next for years.
    Look forward to seeing you at the Grand Slam Poker Run this year and hope you have a great time.


    P.s Looks like I am more long winded than you were.

  8. #8
    Registered gsmith9898's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    tulsa, oklahoma
    Posts
    1,857

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    I have a wife and 5 year old son that has been to 7 pcker runs with me. I have two that were not for kids. year before last at ugly johns on grand lake was good but I did not attend the after party. I heard that they have security now that can get out of hand so I won't be taking my family there. Blair nebraska has a good poker run at cottonwood marina that was great till you got back and than it was too many drunks. That is the only poker runs I would not go back to. Poker run magazine has some great runs listed that can make planing easy.

  9. #9
    Registered 29mirage's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Mirage '79 9M-SS
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Macomb, MI
    Posts
    228

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    I understand how you feel about people being kinda clicky, I guess you just have to jump in and introduce yourself. My first year was last year at SOTW. Had a great time, even though I didn't get to meet many fellow OSO'rs. Maybe this year, although I may not even ride this year just enjoy the FUN that it is. If you see a guy with a Mirage shirt or t-shirt on, come up and say hi.

  10. #10
    Registered Caincando1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,474

    Re: Poker run newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    I have a question too. If poker runs are not a race, why do people always make a point of saying who got to the stops first? I saw a post were someone was talking about the NYC run saying that the first 10 boats to the first stop were Outerlimits. Not a race?
    Egos.....Bragging rights.....Advertisment....

    None of it is good for the sport. It will give people the wrong idea.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NYC Poker Run 07' questions
    By prostock85 in forum Poker Runs and Boating Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
  2. Newbie questions for the group
    By duksrule in forum Baja
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-02-2006, 07:25 AM
  3. Cig Newbie Questions
    By In2Deep in forum Cigarette
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM
  4. Newbie: Marine Motor Questions
    By Dregsz in forum General Q & A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 04:15 PM
  5. newbie/veteran questions (first boat)
    By stevewix in forum General Q & A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertisers


OSO Directory
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Original Poster In Postbit provided by Original Poster In Postbit v1.0.0 (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.