Lake Norman Poker Run - Sept 19/21st - PRA >

Lake Norman Poker Run - Sept 19/21st - PRA

Notices

Lake Norman Poker Run - Sept 19/21st - PRA

Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I can make it down

Last edited by CROWD CONTROL; 02-06-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

) Didn’t the CPBA try to bring PRA to LKN? I was under the impression that you and others where trying to get them here.

2) Didn’t you send a representative from the CPBA to the PRA safety meeting at the Miami boat show this year and if so did you find or learn anything that would concerns you about safety and the PRA?

Mark I will give you a call. But to answer your question's

1)We did not try to bring them here. I personally tried to reach out to Bill Taylor to ask specific questions . They never got answered . That's fine . This started with one person and his arrogant attitude or whoever was using his call name on here.This has never been about them not coming. Its been about common courtesy in to responding to specific questions asked .My concern is the back lash of the awesome hardware that is coming. Most of these guys are coming from out of town and have never been on this lake. I keeping thinking back to the way things went in Palm Valley heading to St Augustine. I think you were there. Some of those boats are supposed to be here.

2) Yes we did send reps to the safety meeting in Miami.

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Dave,

I have a lot of respect for you and I am in no way trying to bust your chops. You are a good guy, a responsible boater and I appreciate that.

There is a lot of talk about this event, the comments of locals like yourself and others plus what we see here on online. I was on Norman all day Sunday and was asked about the event four times. People know about it and most are very excited that an event of this caliper is coming to town.

Two questions for you please:.

1) Didn’t the CPBA try to bring PRA to LKN? I was under the impression that you and others where trying to get them here.

2) Didn’t you send a representative from the CPBA to the PRA safety meeting at the Miami boat show this year and if so did you find or learn anything that would concerns you about safety and the PRA?

The answers to those questions might help clear up some confusion I have.

We just returned from doing our 37th poker run and I thought about how sad it would be if the performance boat family at Smith Mountain Lake felt like the folks at LKN. We never would have done a poker run there and might not have ever enjoyed the beautiful lake. Smith Mountain is a smaller lake, it is more narrow in a lot of places and there are not the type of stops available there as on Norman. They limit their event to around 75 boats (more then the 40 for PRA / LKN) and the locals support it and the Lake Police even wave the Virginia noise laws for that one day so everyone can enjoy the event.

If the folks at Lake Hartwell, Lake Cumberland, Bugs Island, Kentucky Lake, Tennessee River and Lake Travis just to mention a few felt that way toward us out of town folks were going to come and use and abuse the lake then there would be no poker runs. I enjoy going to a lot of these events and I appreciate all the folks who support them and those that work hard to provide us with the opportunity. It brings revenue and showcases the lake both of which are good.

Poker Runs America as I mentioned before was way ahead of the curve on safety. They wrote the book and required PFD’s and safety switches long before Smoke on the Water. They do this for a living and I cannot for the life of me believe that they would do anything to jeopardize their business, reputation or the safety of the participants and others on the water.

Also I think it is a real slap to think that the PRA members that own the boats, pay the entry fees and travel for hundreds of miles just like you and I do are not responsible. I know many of these folks and they are just as proud and protective of their investments as I am of my boat.

Sorry but I am really at a loss to understand why you guys feel that the PRA and their boaters are such bad folks and are going to reek havoc. I’m sure there are some that have read this thread and don’t feel welcome at Norman and that is ashamed.

Norman was much slower Sunday then I can remember in the past for Labor Day weekend and I received two calls today (Monday) and was told it was even slower. I think they picked a good time for the event and wish them good weather, sunny skies and deep water.

Mark
We love travling to other waters to check new runs and new people. It's been a ball - after being in cruisers for 17 years.

We were planning on coming to this run because we were intrigued by the coast line when we drove by it and the caliber of heat we know would be in attendance.

Unfortunately, after reading through the thread...well, let's just say it wasn't coming off as very appealing...we made other plans, last week...hopefully I am the vocal minority.... Yeah, I know there's probably a crew down there celebrating that they discouraged a "yankee" from running in LKN.

I hope you all have a great run and bring the neh-sayers over to the "dark side" - These runs are a ton of fun for the participants, spectators, and the local business owners. Maybe they'll be a next year, and a better appreciation of the value these can bring to the community.

Please post pics - we'd love to see them.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Unfortunately, after reading through the thread...well, let's just say it wasn't coming off as very appealing...we made other plans, last week...hopefully I am the vocal minority.... Yeah, I know there's probably a crew down there celebrating that they discouraged a "yankee" from running in LKN.

I hope you all have a great run and bring the neh-sayers over to the "dark side" - These runs are a ton of fun for the participants, spectators, and the local business owners. Maybe they'll be a next year, and a better appreciation of the value these can bring to the community.
I don't think there are any "naysayers" at this point and don't believe there had to be any in the first place.

Back in April, the scaredy cat dude announced the run. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=183752
Within a few pages of the original thread, it wasn't clear if the event was an official event and his posts were coming across sounding like he and a bunch of friends
were just going to come shred the lake at 150mph no matter how crowded it was, and it didn't sound like he gave a chit if it phucked everyone down the road with speed limits and noise ordinances. More importantly -and to make matters worse, PRA was not responding to anyone's phonecalls, emails, or doing anything to clarify the situation or even confirm they were involved.

Now -months later- we all know it is indeed an official PRA event and sounds like it will be a great run that will be safe and well-executed.

It's a shame your not coming, but I wouldn't blame it on anyone but the scaredy dude and/or PRA. Bottom line is: if the run had been introduced with more tact, there wouldn't have been initial resistance and if matters had been clarified in a timely manner by someone at PRA, there wouldn't have been much drama.

I'm relatively new to the area (transplanted yankee myself) and everyone I've met on the lake has been great to hang with. There's no lack of appreciation for poker runs or fun runs here, nor do I think there is a click or any other bs like that. We're looking forward to checking out the run and seeing the hardware. Hopefully we'll see you some other time or if there is another run next year.

just my 2¢

Last edited by socalstone; 09-03-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: couldn't find the original thread
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a heads up to the people that are new to the lake. The water level is way up after last week so the shoals shouldn't be an issue. Take a good look at your maps and GPS though at the location of the channel markers. There are 3 or 4 on this lake that are way out in the middle where you will not expect them. They will jump up on you especially at 100+. When you leave midtown you will go through a small cut at the islands and turn right. The lake opens up here so the natural instict would be to spread out but be aware that the next channel marker is almost in the center of the lake. Stay to the right of it. I'm sure they will probably review this in the Captains meeting though. If anyone wants a navigated tour Friday let me know(Polite way of begging for a ride).

Hope everyone has fun!

Last edited by Swede; 09-03-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by socalstone

transplanted yankee myself
Everyone here is !!!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by socalstone
I don't think there are any "naysayers" at this point and don't believe there had to be any in the first place.

Back in April, the scaredy cat dude announced the run. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=183752
Within a few pages of the original thread, it wasn't clear if the event was an official event and his posts were coming across sounding like he and a bunch of friends
were just going to come shred the lake at 150mph no matter how crowded it was, and it didn't sound like he gave a chit if it phucked everyone down the road with speed limits and noise ordinances. More importantly -and to make matters worse, PRA was not responding to anyone's phonecalls, emails, or doing anything to clarify the situation or even confirm they were involved.

Now -months later- we all know it is indeed an official PRA event and sounds like it will be a great run that will be safe and well-executed.

It's a shame your not coming, but I wouldn't blame it on anyone but the scaredy dude and/or PRA. Bottom line is: if the run had been introduced with more tact, there wouldn't have been initial resistance and if matters had been clarified in a timely manner by someone at PRA, there wouldn't have been much drama.

I'm relatively new to the area (transplanted yankee myself) and everyone I've met on the lake has been great to hang with. There's no lack of appreciation for poker runs or fun runs here, nor do I think there is a click or any other bs like that. We're looking forward to checking out the run and seeing the hardware. Hopefully we'll see you some other time or if there is another run next year.

just my 2¢

We are currently working with Poker Runs America on the Sept event on Lake Norman, presently a three day event with 1st day being for charity rides for Make a Wish and other kid related charities. CONFIRMED PROTICIPATION to date is... Scaredy Cat 40 Skater, Bud Light 44 MTI, Mercedes MTI, Triple XXX 47 Outer Limits, Xtreme Marine bringing two other MTI's, Poker Runs America 47 fountain, and other boats not confirmed for the first charity day. Second day, being poker run itself followed with awards party. Third day, looking into a nascar experience if it can be worked out. This run will be an upscale but not a high roller. Hope all of you will join.

Seems fairly "tactful" to me. Later on down the thread I think that everyone can read see where the first blows were thrown. Feelings got hurt because Bill Taylor did or did not write them back or they got a letter from some girl in the PRA office or they thought that they should be or not be chaparones.

The point is that without the help of Scaredy Cat and others this thing would not be taking place. It is going to be a crown jewel on the PRA circuit for quite some time.

Now - you guys have accomplished what you wanted to do. You have created turmoil by assuming that PRA and other organizers have no idea what they are doing. I am sure that after reading this thread people have a sour taste in their mouth about powerboating on Lake Norman. That is all on you "naysayers"!!!

Socalstone - I dont know if I have met you personally or not. I certainally have nothing negative to say about you at all. However, I have lived her around the Lake Norman area for 27 years. If you dont think that LKN is cliquey then you have not been here long enough.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sure, post#1 sounded great! I was asking for more info/dates etc.

I specified "within a few pages of the original thread" was where it took a nose dive and the lack of tact emerged.
but if I didn't make that clear, my bad.

Listen, I was just calling it as I read it. Didn't mean to stir the pot.
It's clear now that it will be a great and safe run. That's all that matters now.
I Hope the weather is perfect all weekend for everyone.

ps- No idea if I've met you either, but thanks for the inside scoop on the cliques, -guess I've just been lucky so far.

Last edited by socalstone; 09-03-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
We love travling to other waters to check new runs and new people. It's been a ball - after being in cruisers for 17 years.

We were planning on coming to this run because we were intrigued by the coast line when we drove by it and the caliber of heat we know would be in attendance.

Please post pics - we'd love to see them.
Don't let a little pi$$ing contest keep you from comming to the event. Once it all starts it will be all good, this is all just a general disscusion of all points of views. It is hard to tell the attuide of people from reading post. I think that safty is the main concern of everyone. side note Bobby had a good time talking to you about the poker run saterday at the WTB
Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bad Company
Don't let a little pi$$ing contest keep you from comming to the event. Once it all starts it will be all good, this is all just a general disscusion of all points of views. It is hard to tell the attuide of people from reading post. I think that safty is the main concern of everyone. side note Bobby had a good time talking to you about the poker run saterday at the WTB
????

What is the WTB?

Quick Reply: Lake Norman Poker Run - Sept 19/21st - PRA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.