What are the keys to a great poker run? >

What are the keys to a great poker run?

Notices

What are the keys to a great poker run?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty1035
Thanx Pat...we are gonna cut the length down this year and make it a little more compact. I am certainly open for as many ideas as you can think of. As it stands right now we have moved it up a week earlier into September so hopefully that will help. We can talk a little more this weekend if you guys are still goin' to the Jammin Party.

Smitty
See you this weekend!!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink

Aerial Photography is always a plus !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
Aerial Photography is always a plus !

nice Tim
Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT...Still looking for any input.

Hope everyone has a safe summer.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered

I would love to trade ideas with you, we put a run on each year for Make-A-Wish called the Swamp Run. Feel free to Pm me (Nolan) for my #. I would love to hear what you do that I may have over looked or not thought of. You can find the Swamp Run in the Poker Run fourm here on OSO. Thanks and keep up the hard work, People really do appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a few thoughts.

To me having a number of stops is a huge plus, having 3 or four is almost an excuse to call it a poker run (other organizers please don't take that the wrong way and I understand that more stops is more overhead etc) why not instead have 8 or ten and make it so you only have to make it to 4 or five to qualify for a full hand that way those that want to stretch their legs can but others aren't penalized. You could also offer wild cards to say those that made all 14 stops or something along those lines.

Next would be location which is kind of you have what you have unless you're from Montana and decide to put something on in FL. So at that point you just have to get the nicest marina's or sandbars you can string together. A lunch stop at a sandbar party area might be cool with a marina as a bad weather backup. Then just need plenty of dock space for the evening party which IMO should be adult oriented. There's plenty of family boating available every weekend and I think most of the participants are more party oriented.

Cost is also a huge factor. I love the fact that most donate the proceeds to a charity but I feel like asking $400 a boat just so the event can raise $40,000 for a cause is a bit much (yes those numbers came straight out of my butt but you get the point) IMO charge enough to support the event and make a donation not support the cause for a year, again being facetious. Then have a way for participants to donate more to the cause or other causes in the name of the event as they are able. That alone will jump the number of participants imagine the number of boats you could register at $150 per boat instead of $400 the shear numbers would guarantee a good party and thus event since the after parties are what most people remember about the events. Then if half of the participants added additional donations you may end up with with the same overall donation as before and a larger audience which will generate media coverage etc. The price for most of the runs I've seen are pretty ridiculous and rule out the event for most boaters just so someone can say they raised a ton of money for their cause of choice. I'm not saying that's a bad thing I just have a hard time with being made to pay for someone else's cause.

Make it BYOB with some house drinks, that will keep the cost down so lower costs can be passed on, besides I know I have no problem bringing my own drinks and would rather not pay for everyone else binge drinking which just brings on it's own host of problems (and admitted positive side effects). Besides I've never seen even a small group of boats that didn't have enough alcohol for a large party on a typical day let alone a planned day of partying with a purpose.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Nolan...Just sent you a PM

Hey mlb75...that is definitely a lot of good information. I usually try and have 4 or 5 stops in my runs but it is not really the expense with the stops as it is having people to hand out the cards as well as the time constraints. I actually prefer to have fewer stops in the run and allow more time at the stops so people can mingle and meet other attendees. I have offered an extended leg for those that were interested and no one every did it because they were enjoying themselves at the stops.

The biggest thing I realized when I started organising my run was that there was not enough time in the day and that even with all of the organization in the world it always seems to be hectic the day of the event. I can only imagine the amount of planning that has to go into putting on a big run. We are taking a few boats down for the Jamin' on the James Poker Run in Richmond, Va next month and they are planning on having 120+ boats registered. That is just mind blowing to imagine the amount of work that has to go into an event like that.

We are lucky in that we are a not for profit club and I usually make a goal to break even with the run so I can keep costs down. This allows me to offer a fair price for the run which in the past has included Helicopter photos (One included with every entry), a poker run video, the best poker run lunch ever and give -a-ways. The down side of that is that I am limited on the adult activities that I can include like dock parties and special stops.

I have also tried to set up the run so that smaller boats and cruisers could also attend by just cutting out a few stops.

I really like your idea of doing the fundraising in conjunction with the run but not included in the price. That would definitely keep costs down and would allow people to donate more if they wished.

Thanx again for the info and keep it coming.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ok...After attending this years Jammin' on the James I can certainly agree that an awesome dock party after the run is a must. Those guys put on one heck of a run this year and I will certainly be going back.

One of the things I really like about this sport is because it is so small there seems to be a great deal of camaraderie. Most everyone we spoke with in Richmond was friendly and willing to lend a hand if another boater was in need.

Our event is less than two months away now and it is looking to be bigger and better than years past.

Thank you guys for the info and certainly keep it coming.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smitty1035
I can certainly agree that an awesome dock party after the run is a must.
Absolutely agree.

Once the keys are away for the day, the party can begin !!!

NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run 2011 :

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !