Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Thinking Mine Is Too Small (Emerald Coast Poker Run) >

Thinking Mine Is Too Small (Emerald Coast Poker Run)

Notices

Thinking Mine Is Too Small (Emerald Coast Poker Run)

Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking Mine Is Too Small (Emerald Coast Poker Run)

I have to bring my Stingray 235CR Legendary Marine in August for them to sell for me and I was thinking about using it for the poker run on the 14th. I sponsored a boat last year and ended up spending most of the time in the hotel room because of rain (It never stopped) and missed everything. I don't want to bring the Baja because I have no truck or trailer and last time we moved it I had to go see a doctor for my mental breakdown and was pulled over twice because I had no road permit. Just how silly would it be if I used the Stingray in the poker run? I would like to know if a boat like that can be used without me looking like an idiot, I'm already compensating for something and don't want anything to happen to my fragile ego. Sound off I can take it
Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's not that you will look like an idiot. You will not. What WILL happen is that you will end up near the back of the pack in a whole bunch of giant wakes that you must take on at a bad angle because you need to hold a straight line. There is a reason that most poker runs have a minimum boat length. I found this out in my Donzi when a poker run group at Brown's Bar said it would be OK if I ran with them to the next card stop which wasn't far. When all those big boats took off it just wasn't safe for me to run at speed. If I could zig-zag across the wakes it would be different.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM
Registered

Your so right. Well there's no need for any more commentary. I will be looking forward to meeting some of you guys. When you see a guy on the shore wearing a power boating shirt with a tear running down his cheek that would be me. I will call to see if I can do some volunteer work.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

I think it will be fine, there is a Sweet 16 that has run the poker run for the past few years, also a Hobie Cat ran one year as well, the ICW inbetwen FWB and Destin is narrow for about 1/2 mile, but most slow down do to the bottle neck.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Registered

Where did you get pulled for towing without permits?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Registered

Highway patrol both times in Mississippi coming in from Tennessee. They said to wide and to tall. I dropped my brother in laws name and they let me go.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Registered

Going to call organizers on Monday and see what's what. Really want to get in water but I do have concerns with too much chop. The boat is a nice lake boat with good speed (don't say a word), but is a bit rough in 2 footers.

Last edited by Mseuro; 07-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mseuro
Going to call organizers on Monday and see what's what. Really want to get in water but I do have concerns with too much chop. The boat is a nice lake boat with good speed (don't say a word), but is a bit rough in 2 footers.
Considering all the card stops are open all day, I see no problem running a small craft. I have seen that run made with a kayak, jet ski, 70+ Hatteras ect...ect...the cool thing is you can get five cards without really hitting any open water. I say do it....
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just leave before or after the pack and it wont be any different than any other day on the water.. Its not a race,,they will all be there when you get there and having a small boat will make it easier to get dock space as well..
Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I just did Boyne Thunder in a 22' boat and had a blast.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.