Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
If there were a fall Tampa Bay run, would there be any interest? >

If there were a fall Tampa Bay run, would there be any interest?

Notices

If there were a fall Tampa Bay run, would there be any interest?

Old 03-13-2017, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Donziboy
You could make it like the New Year's Day Fun Run. Just pick a place for everyone to put in and a destination to meet for lunch or whatever. That keeps it simple and affordable for everyone.
I second this idea. The New Year's Day run has been very successful and grows each year. If you are trying to do it for profit it would definitely not work that way. Some of the largest events I have been to were not highly organized events just hey we're gonna meet here and run there.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Just got to watch your dates. LOTO and Cumberland are in Aug and Sept and Key West Worlds in Nov....all big events that gets a lot of folks to go to them.

I can attest that our self as well as a bunch of others from that area go to those places as they are great and big events.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely on the dates, this is one of the things I'm open to input on. Holiday weekends are nice for travel so I'd consider labor day, but then again boating around here on a Holiday weekend is also a total cluster so that would be no good. We usually don't even bother trying to take the boat out on labor day, memorial day or July 4th!
I was kind of thinking Halloween would be cool but that's right before Key West. But then again, it's always going to be close to some event somewhere in the country!

It would certainly not be a for-profit venture. I'd make my business the primary sponsor so that I could write off all of the various expenses, but we're not trying to make a penny from it. I'd love for it to make some kind of money to benefit a charity of some kind if possible. I'm partial to animals, and we have some really great animal charities around here.
So it seems like outside of the FPC average entry fees are in the $200-$250 range, which typically includes a couple meals, shirts, and 1-2 poker hands for 2 people. I'm thinking if we don't try to include food and drinks and all that fancy-ness we could cut that in half. People can buy their own food I'd imagine.

The logistics are silly. I spent a solid 8 hours on the phone the other day just trying to make sure there would be no legality or liability issues. The Bay is state waters, but the lands around it are owned by the cities unless it's unincorporated county, then the county governs it. In the end I got nowhere. Not one of the government agencies was able to tell me if any sort of permits would be required or not but most suggested that they were not. Only that I could not hold a public event AT a county boat ramp, but that I could "suggest" a particular launch/meetup point and there's nothing they could do about that. The insurance company wouldn't even talk event insurance unless I had the approval from the governing bodies - which seems impossible to get because they're not even sure I need approval. And Florida Wildlife Commission told me as long as all of their regs are being followed they don't care what we're doing.
So
Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luke81
Absolutely on the dates, this is one of the things I'm open to input on. Holiday weekends are nice for travel so I'd consider labor day, but then again boating around here on a Holiday weekend is also a total cluster so that would be no good. We usually don't even bother trying to take the boat out on labor day, memorial day or July 4th!
I was kind of thinking Halloween would be cool but that's right before Key West. But then again, it's always going to be close to some event somewhere in the country!

It would certainly not be a for-profit venture. I'd make my business the primary sponsor so that I could write off all of the various expenses, but we're not trying to make a penny from it. I'd love for it to make some kind of money to benefit a charity of some kind if possible. I'm partial to animals, and we have some really great animal charities around here.
So it seems like outside of the FPC average entry fees are in the $200-$250 range, which typically includes a couple meals, shirts, and 1-2 poker hands for 2 people. I'm thinking if we don't try to include food and drinks and all that fancy-ness we could cut that in half. People can buy their own food I'd imagine.

The logistics are silly. I spent a solid 8 hours on the phone the other day just trying to make sure there would be no legality or liability issues. The Bay is state waters, but the lands around it are owned by the cities unless it's unincorporated county, then the county governs it. In the end I got nowhere. Not one of the government agencies was able to tell me if any sort of permits would be required or not but most suggested that they were not. Only that I could not hold a public event AT a county boat ramp, but that I could "suggest" a particular launch/meetup point and there's nothing they could do about that. The insurance company wouldn't even talk event insurance unless I had the approval from the governing bodies - which seems impossible to get because they're not even sure I need approval. And Florida Wildlife Commission told me as long as all of their regs are being followed they don't care what we're doing.
So
I suggest that you speak to another event organizer in the area, they may be able to help you cut out a lot of the research..... I cannot tell you about what is required in FL but at Cumberland in KY, and Old Hickory in TN I have to work with most of the agencies simultaneously as they all require documents from each other at certain steps in the process, don't mind to talk about it more in depth with you but like I said I would start with a event organizer in FL as I'm sure between the 2 states nothing would be the same.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 20outlaw
I suggest that you speak to another event organizer in the area, they may be able to help you cut out a lot of the research..... I cannot tell you about what is required in FL but at Cumberland in KY, and Old Hickory in TN I have to work with most of the agencies simultaneously as they all require documents from each other at certain steps in the process, don't mind to talk about it more in depth with you but like I said I would start with a event organizer in FL as I'm sure between the 2 states nothing would be the same.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. It sounded like most of them didn't know what to tell me really. I spoke to a lady from the city of Tampa first. She said "well if you're in the bay you're FWC's [florida wildlife commission] jurisdiction, not ours so you don't need anything from us" But I know for sure that the city has a fleet of boats that they patrol that area of the bay with, so clearly somewhere is their jurisdiction. I also asked what if part of the event involved a group of boats traveling up one of the channels into downtown Tampa, and out another channel back toward the bay. Her reply to that was that as long as we're obeying the laws and the speed zones that's not considered anything special or out of the ordinary and there was nothing she could think of to issue me in the way of permissions of permits. I got basically the same answer from the county government and the city of St. Petersburg. I am going to seek out other event organizers to see how they do it. There are a ton of fishing tournaments around here and i'd think they deal with similar logistics to this.