33PP Dead Battery Experience >

33PP Dead Battery Experience

Notices

33PP Dead Battery Experience

Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 33PP Dead Battery Experience

For all of us that were wondering about opening the engine hatch with a dead batter, I experienced the problem this past weekend. I went to open the engine hatch to turn on the batteries and nothing. I connected alligator clips from Radio Shack to one of those portable jump starter. I connected the possitive to a terminal on the back of the circuit breaker board and the negative to the ground buss bar where all the grounds are connected. Its on the opposite side than the circuit breaker board kinda on the gunwale. It worked fine. After all that I thought of another idea. I was wondering if connecting my battery tender from my car in the garage, to the cigarette lighter in the cabin would give the circuit panel voltage. I'll try that if it happens again.
I'm still wondering what the problem was. All the switches were off and nothing was left on. I'm hoping it was just a bad battery since both batteries were replaced at the beginning of this season. Someone told me there is circuit breaker switch under the rear seat starboard side. Anyone switch that off??
Old 09-06-2006, 06:47 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Re: 33PP Dead Battery Experience

I have three switches underneath my bench seat but have no idea what those are. Anybody? Ed?

Good idea on the circuit breaker panel, being in construction, I always have a 12v drill, saw or something around that I'll use if that ever comes up.

BTW...The starboard switch should be on 1 and the port on 2, not sure if you knew that or not.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 2 switches under my rear seat that disable the engine hatch buttons. Not sure if they control anything else.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
I have three switches underneath my bench seat but have no idea what those are. Anybody? Ed?

Good idea on the circuit breaker panel, being in construction, I always have a 12v drill, saw or something around that I'll use if that ever comes up.

BTW...The starboard switch should be on 1 and the port on 2, not sure if you knew that or not.
That is exactly how I have been setting the battery switchesm and then both on off when I get back to the marina. If the auto bilge is not running, what would have drained that battery? and which battery is the hatch connected to when the switches are off?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If your bat dies all you need is a 12 volt source and two jumper wires. Attach them to your up push button for your hatch. Then push the button the hatch opens and then you can access your batteries.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

I would recomend purchacing a jump pack. I have one and it has really come in handy.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja27
If your bat dies all you need is a 12 volt source and two jumper wires. Attach them to your up push button for your hatch. Then push the button the hatch opens and then you can access your batteries.
Exactly. FYI, you don't have to exactly connect them to the up button, you can connect to any red wire behind the circuit breakers, they are all daisy chained together.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered

Cool Re: 33PP Dead Battery Experience

My 28 powerplay hatch has a access hole cut in it, under the removable sun pad. The hole is secured with a screw-in access cap. The hatch lift is attached by a bolt that has a cotter pin through it for easy disconnect.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:52 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JROMY
I've got 2 switches under my rear seat that disable the engine hatch buttons. Not sure if they control anything else.

they kill all power, standard issue on a powerplay.