Oh..oh...what's that noise... >

Oh..oh...what's that noise...

Notices

Oh..oh...what's that noise...

Old 10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Oh..oh...what's that noise...

Put the boat in the water for a ride Saturday and the port motor started hammering something fierce as soon as it started . The motors are 502/415's with 450 hours on them. I took it to Derebery Performance Marine near Lake Texoma to take a look at it. The guys were super helpful and very professional. The shop is a first class operation. It turns out a valve seat fell into the cylinder and beat it to chit. Damaged the piston and destroyed the cylinder head. We're going to pull them both and completely go through them. I certainly hope to bring them back with more horsepower . It would suck to spend so much money and not gain any mph. Keep you guys posted once we finally decide what we're doing to the engines. I was trying to sell it, looks like I'm going to be keeping it now for a few years.

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: Oh..oh...what's that noise...

Originally Posted by Lickitysplit
looks like I'm going to be keeping it now for a few years. Mike
That's a good thing

The head issue is bad/good Sucks to have that happen and have to spend $$, good that it'll be better in the end. I'm trying to go one more year on my heads (420 hours) because I'm dropping $$ on exhaust this spring. The next year is heads, cam, ecu...should be close to a 500efi at that point. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear that. With that many hours anything can happen. It looks like a nice boat, so more hp may just want to make you keep it. They are more fun the faster you go! Good luck with it. I just had to redo both drives in the last month to go to Key West and play, so I feel your pain.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Indy, pardon the pun, but we're in the same boat. I put new stainless marine headers on the engines last year. (I bought them from Trick Marine, very professional and they had the best prices) It had around 400 hours on it then. I have not used the boat in Dallas as much as we did in Florida. But you are exactly right, they gave me a price to come back with 550hp per side but it was out of my range, beside, like pp33 I would be rebuilding Bravos soon. I'm looking at flowing the heads, reprogramming the ECU and a cam, hopefully around 475 hp, they promised final price tomorrow, keep you posted.

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lickitysplit
hopefully around 475 hp
That's where I'd like to be too, good way to hopefully spin 28s, but preserves the drives.

PPlay33...right you are! JROMY's 33' with 525s is completely different than mine, those engines bring out the best in the 33' hull.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

28s on bravos seem to be ok. I've had great luck with 30s. When I had to go to 32s when finally dialed in, thats when all the weak links appeared, even with non-stock parts. How did JROMY's boat finally end up for top speed? I talked to Dan and others at the show about it, but got what I thought were optimistic numbers. 500hp is minimum for a 33, they ride too well.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

I think he's around 87.5 or so...
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm afraid to put 500hp+ on the Bravos. The last thing I need after the engine work is to blow a drive, then upgrade to XR's X 2 ouch, I'll need the boat cause I'll be sleeping in it !!!

Talked to the Team up at Derebery today, we are working on the options. I'll post more when I know more.

It is good to know that the 33 will run upper 80's with 525's, although that is probably a newer boat with a higher X. I'm hoping to see 80 with 475hp

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

With the correct props and water conditions the boat should run 80. 500hp boats run 82+or- with labbed 28s around here. 87+ in JROMYS boat is great,that is what I would expect. They tried to tell me 92-94, and it took over 100hp more to get those speeds.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

PPlay33 You are correct, Mine has 630-640hp and speeds are 90-91.

Quick Reply: Oh..oh...what's that noise...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.