33 powerplay o/b vs. i/o >

33 powerplay o/b vs. i/o

Notices

33 powerplay o/b vs. i/o

Old 03-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 33 powerplay o/b vs. i/o

I am looking for any responses to the pros and cons of the outboard powered 33 vs. the io powered version. I like the outboards because the cockpit is so much larger. If anyone knows any numbers for the outboards such as gas mileage or gallons per hour, that would be great too. Also how long will outboards last compared to i/os in offshore usage. Thanks for any replies. Darren
Old 03-27-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

Darren..

I've owned both the triple outboard(78mph) and the i/o(94mph).. They are totally different is ride attitude. The i/o's ride is heavier and flatter.
If you went with outboards, how many and what type??
Old 03-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Registered

PP race what triples did you have that ran 78? 2.5's? I would either go with twin 3oox's or maybe triple 2.5's or 300x's depending on money and speed. Also did you notice a big difference in gas usage between your two boats?
Old 03-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Registered

I had triple 2.5 200hp with cle lowers. The heads were milled and exhausts were relieved . The engines dynoed at 240hp.
The fuel consumption is about the same. I don't have to run the i/o's as hard to go 70-80mph.
The 33 with twin 300's should run in the low 70's. the problem with triples is keeping the engines together, There is alot force being applied to them. They are just hanging on the bracket.
The life of an outboard depends on the quality of the rigging and how they are maintained.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:48 AM
Registered

Angry

thank you PP Race, but seriously doesnt anyone else look at the powerplay posts. I would like some more feedback. I know there are a lot of powerplay owners registered on the site. There hasn't been a post on the powerplay section for like 7 days come on powerplay owners show some pride.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:46 AM
Registered

Your better of posting your questions in the General Discussion Area
Old 04-06-2002, 06:27 AM
Miami

Hey Darren - I have been reluctant to post as I only have experience with I/O's in a Pwerplay 33 Sport Deck. Here are some observations however - hanging three outboards off the transom changes the center of gravity and the attack angle. Powerplay's are designed by an ex racer who always campained inboards. Powerplay's are known for their solid construction, impeccable rigging and rough water capabilities. Why would you want to change that? You mention that you like the room in the cockpit of the outboards. That is an advantage when lounging around. When you are blasting accross 3 to 4' waves however, most passengers will appreciate the snugness & grabbars of an intimate cockpit.
There is something hormonal about starting up a pair of big block inboards versus that tinny sounding outboards. All the boaters I know that have tripples ( inboards or outboards ) always seem to have problems with the center motor or outdrive. As the center motor has to be set lower, it is the first one to re-enter the water when you are flying. All the stress is placed on this motor.
You ask about gas consumption - if you want economy, pull the sticks back. What kind of mileage does a Corvette get? Who cares! It's a sports car, it looks good and it's fast.
Based upon PP Race statements, you will be limited to engines and / or top speed with outboards. With a pair of HP500EFI's, you can cruise all day long, economically in the upper 50's and blast to the mid 80's. All with warrantied power. Want to go mid 90's, get the 575's. Want to spend less money, get the 496HO's.

What will your resale value be with outboard's. I am guessing but I imagine that the resale client will want inboards in this type of boat.
All this rambling comes from a real world boater. I have a 1993 boat with 630hours on it and the original motors! I have had no problems with them. I am currently repowering, due to testorone, not mechanical problems. I use the boat in the Chesapeak Bay. This body of water can get pretty snooty at times. I have yet to use a screw driver on anything. All my other boats needed a weekly re-torquing of miscellaneous hardware and / or accessories that vibrated loose. One hell of a boat!!!!! You asked for responses, I hope this helps. Paul