Bringing Powerplay Back? >

Bringing Powerplay Back?

Notices

Bringing Powerplay Back?

Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing Powerplay Back?

I've heard talk among the community that within the next year The company may be going back into production. While granted this is just a rumor that i've heard I'm just curious as to what the response would be from the community of us as far as new buyers to recurring owners to just enthusiasts when it comes to what we would all like to see out of the company and what it would take to keep the good reputation...talk amongst yourselves...
Old 12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Tough time to start up a boat company. I hope the financial backer has deep pockets and patience.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered

Who would be owning/running "the company"?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered

let's just assume not Danny
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 486 Posts

A. Danny was the best thing and worst thing about Powerplay (he built great boats and was anal about details but sucked at "balancing the books."
B. The hulls were fine 10 years ago but are outdated now (only the 38 was stepped).
C. The 38 was awesome in 2003 when it premiered but not exactly "Outerlimits" state of the art 9 years later. Boat was heavy, good ride but not exactly fast.

I believe PP will go the route of Apache. Great hulls for their day, no one has been able to achieve the level of success the original company had and the older hulls are still cherished 20-30 years later.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the Sport Deck model as it is would have a hard time competeting in the high performance segment given all of the hull improvements that have taken place over the years.

Latitude was trying to bring back the 33 Sportfish CC but like someone said earlier, it's a tough time to start a new boat company. Down in my area, 10-15 year old PowerPlay Sportfish boats are much more respected and desireable than newer boats from Concept and Renegade, for example. I think if that particular model was successfully brought back (in better economic times) it could still compete in that segment of the market. That hull with modern features and an updated interior would be a sweet ride!!

If I were to buy one brand new today I would add a transom shower and a more modern console cabable of accommodating a large flush mounted GPS (Latitude has already done this bit).
Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

I dont think the 38 was any more out dated than a 38 Formula. The 33 is a classic I think theres a market for that, if done to the old PP standards
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

I can only respond to Center Console specs, as I own a 33CC. I'd take the 33 and 38 molds and increase the beam slightly to give more room for a head in the Console Don't know exact beam that's legal without permits for trailering, but somewhere in the 9' to 9.5' range. All modern CC's seem to be going for maximum beam. Great for room onboard, but really limits trailering and speed. Step the hull on the 33. BBracket motor mounting is fine with me, but the built in mount is probably more competitive today. Maintain the quality and keep the price down. My 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
I dont think the 38 was any more out dated than a 38 Formula. The 33 is a classic I think theres a market for that, if done to the old PP standards
Yeah and look how many of the 382's have sold in the last 3 years! I like the 382, it is their best looking fastech but isn't fast by today's standards. Lose the windshield (atleast make the race fairing an option), stagger the power and knock 100K+ off the MSRP.

The 38 PP needs a dash update (it is very flat/square not very ergonomic) and needs to be staggered

In both cases the boats would need to crack 100 w/Merc 700's and be good for 90 w/525's to be competitive.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
I agree. But all the mfgr's now are dealing with a shrinking niche market. The biggest hurdle being cost to build. Merc set the benchmark and cornered the market years ago and imo their stuff is way over priced. Then there is the cost of raw materials for the hull and other structures. Cost of resins is out of this world and the EPA isn't helping the situation.

Put my name on the list for a 33 5pk stagger with a cabin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.