Notices

In or out?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In or out?

I was speaking to a well known south florida boat builder this weekend. He told me that on certain heavier hulls he spun the engines inward. I know that the in - out has been discussed a few times now with other boats....spinning in raised the stern and gave a few miles on top but handled squirrley....plus a tad bit difficult docking. My question is how are the powerplay owners here running their engines? Have you tried spinning them the other way?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 282 Likes on 136 Posts

In lift the bow, out lifts the stern. In is faster, out handles better. So many people get this backwards and its not a hard concept to grasp. The outside of the prop grabs more water because the shape of the vee allows the outside of the prop to get cleaner water. the hulls reaction is opposite of the way the prop is spinning. When the props are spinning in, they are on their upswing on the outside, so they are pushing the stern down, bow up. When you spin out they are on their down swing, therefore lifting the stern.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
In lift the bow, out lifts the stern. In is faster, out handles better. So many people get this backwards and its not a hard concept to grasp. The outside of the prop grabs more water because the shape of the vee allows the outside of the prop to get cleaner water. the hulls reaction is opposite of the way the prop is spinning. When the props are spinning in, they are on their upswing on the outside, so they are pushing the stern down, bow up. When you spin out they are on their down swing, therefore lifting the stern.
Spot on.

Another way to look at is which way the low pressure side of the blade faces, that's the way it's going to favor to move.
In, it's down, out, it's up.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That makes sense. Wonder why so many people say that in lifts the stern?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was running mine in. Boat handled great. Was told by someone who races boats to turn the props out and and set up motors up with a slight toe in and I would pick up speed. He was right. Picked up 3 or 4 mph. Stern was definitely lighter. It took a little seat time to get used to it. Handling around the docks suffered.