Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerplay
Full Circle >

Full Circle

Notices

Full Circle

Old 08-12-2016, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John, Brian called Kevin and told him the same thing. I've had previous experiences with over trimming leading to chine walking so I was probably conservative on the trim position thinking I would add additional trim once I reached speed stop increasing. Perhaps I just need to be in a better position before I go for it.I do know that the props were worked for drives with no spacer and the previous owner added 2" spacers trying to get it to plane. I was thinking this may have something to do with it for that fact that the 4 blades by being deeper are getting a better bite and adding additional stern lift from what they were intended to to do. I'm assuming that the closer to the surface you get the less leverage the prop has and the less it will lift the stern or the bow and simply just try to go forward.Also, I would say the tabs were sightly up, I can try raising them up as well.

I found some old notes from the second owner who noted the drives should by in position 5 for top speed.From the video it looks like I was at 3. Assuming the indicators cables are clamped in the same location from when the notes were taken you're probably on to something. In any cases it's an easy enough thing to try and I appreciate the input.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
My 33 with #4's used to chine walk over 80 if I was trimmed to far in. Get to like 70, pull the tabs all the way up and trim the drives out until it porpoises then trim down one click at a time until it stops. When you have it set like that mash the throttle to the dash and see what it does. It should run well with everything set like that.
302, did you have side by side 4's or staggered? Thanks for the input!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 285 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrizer
302, did you have side by side 4's or staggered? Thanks for the input!
Side by side on extension boxes but no notch. Boat also had no cabin so it was pretty light in the nose.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrizer
So I acquired the boat in April and am just now getting around to putting it in the water, what they hell have I been doing? As I stated earlier I had another boat at the time and knew once I got involved with the Powerplay I would neglect everything else. I took care of my springtime honey do's, prepared the Formula for sale and was able to sell it in 30 days. I them focused on another little (literally) project. 33' plus my crew cab Duramax is about all my neighborhood and driveway will stand before I start cutting across lawns to make turns. So I worked up an idea for an alternate means of moving my trailer in and out when I want to work on the boat. This prevents me from having to unhook it from the truck when I need to make a run to pick up something. So after looking on the internet at several options I decided to build my own trailer mover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]557513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]557514[/ATTACH]

It took a couple of weeks of nights and weekends and two different frames to get this far. I used two separate 12v motors with independent controls so I can steer it. I can't believe I didn't do this 20 years ago. My boat sits on the side of the house, back about 60' from my garage, behind a gate that I have to keep opening and closing. Now I just pull it out in front of the garage, do my chores and put it back (exactly where I want it) when done. This winter I'll rework some things and build a cover over it so I can leave it outside with a solar charger hooked up to the batteries.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to accomplish my main goal of unhooking in the street and backing in with the mover because my drive way is on an incline where it meets the street and the weight of the boat will try to flip the mover on its side when I turn it perpendicular to the trailer to make a hard turn. I haven't given up on the main goal but it's now a side project for later. Will update this at a later date.

Now for the boat. For the last several weeks I've been addressing a number of knick/knack items, bad battery, leaking water pump, leaking drive trim lines, leaking tire valve stems, cover modifications to completely cover the boat because unfortunately it has to live outdoors and most importantly getting the thing on plane quickly and easily. I have resolved some of these issues and have things in motion for all of the others. Will provide details on all of these soon.

Stay tuned...
Congrats on the boat, very cool Gizmo you have to move the boat around, did you make it ?
Old 08-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Registered

Thanks 33, yes from scratch. As with anything hindsight is 20/20 so I'll be tweaking some things later in the year when the weather forces me inside. I'll take better pics of the refined version in case any one else wants to try something similar.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 33 Posts

no problem on the input,,,,,
my little 27 with trips is a wicked little ***** on excelleration and top speed
and kept moving motors up till the transom settled and was riding where I wanted it to be
with cleaver props also
2 different boats but same principal
so yes props will be surfacing to where they want to be and lift transom a bit more
that gives the bow less lift
as why I described trimming up a in baby steps to learn what it likes
as me and other said can use tabs for smoother ride below 70
but around that mph pull em up
then trim up a tad and roll in throttles
if starts to walk and bow still planted
back out some trim more and back in
trying to find the sweet spot once the hull airs out
and 70-75 on is where most hulls air out
u don't want to trim out whil under throttle and walking as hull is already out of shape
want it to be cruising and when decide to make a power pass, to pre set everything and drive through smoothly

also im bringing the Excalibur to the patriot and sun buns poker runs in aug
so looking forward to see u and boat there
brian will have the pp and hopefully the skater also

Last edited by johnmiffco; 08-12-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Registered

Forgot about the Patriot. I got 2 get busy, hope I can get props resolved by then....
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Registered

A little maintenance over the weekend, decided to change oil and take a look in the filters: Engines have hoses connected to the bottom of the pans with a 1/4" MPT that is capped. Unfortunately they're not routed to the drain plugs so they can drain by gravity so I had to pump the oil out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558548[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558549[/ATTACH]

Whenever I decide to pull the engines I'll connect the hoses to the drain plugs with a stainless fishing leader, worked real good on a previous boat.

The oil filters are mounted horizontal so that was a pain in the ass, have to poke holes in the filter and drain into a bucket before unscrewing. Oil was dark, 10 quarts per engine. Wix filters were clean, oil in bottom of filter was pretty clean with just a very, very slight amount of very, very fine shiny/metallic particles, no flakes. Not over concerned at this point, will change filters again in a couple of weeks and compare

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558550[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558552[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558553[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558555[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558557[/ATTACH]

Installed new WIx filters, p/n 51060, may use the racing filter next time for increased flow. Refilled with 20 quarts of M1-15W/50. Purchased from Walmart in 5 quart jugs, by far the best pricing ($22 for 5 quarts)
Attached Thumbnails Full Circle-20160818_002733771_ios.jpg   Full Circle-20160818_003108290_ios.jpg   Full Circle-20160807_203011504_ios.jpg  

Full Circle-20160807_203035866_ios.jpg   Full Circle-20160807_203224810_ios.jpg   Full Circle-20160807_203405728_ios.jpg  

Full Circle-20160807_203520203_ios.jpg   Full Circle-20160807_203526402_ios.jpg   Full Circle-20160807_203548884_ios.jpg  

Full Circle-20160807_203633858_ios.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Registered

Have a 1976 P&D 24 this is the fishing deck not the speedboat type. Owned for 30 years and had the smoothest ride of boats in it class