Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with... >

A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Notices

A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Rich........I was pricing Hatch Rams the other day and here is what I found.

Livorsi advertises the strongest and fastest but if you read their print it only is rated for 400 lbs. You can add some bling (for extra) by getting colored rams too.

Eddie Marine, Trick Marine, and Rex Marine sell rams rated for 500 lbs and are around $50-$75 cheaper then Livorsi (but black only).

If mine pukes I am going to try the Trick Marine piece.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
Ok does any body know where PQ got the hatch rams? if so I would like there info so I can get a new one. Thanks

Rich.
powerquest uses livorsie i bought a 97 avenger in january 2006 had dave and rick from powerquest do some odds and ends.my hatch would barely go up with out help. they removed the old 18" stroke accuator that was mounted behind the back seat and replaced it with a new 24" from livorsie that now mounts down to the center stringer for much better geometry. lifts higher & faster. then added the rex marine relay box and now it moves like a rocket!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Back when we had our '99 280, I liked everything about the boat except the POS hatch ram. Looks like our '96 290 is cut from the same cloth...

The hatch ram is so weak (or draws so much current) that it will not raise the hatch unless one of the motors is running, and even then it is no speed demon. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Is there a decent replacement for this piece?

I've never seen another boat with this issue; we know folks that have Formulas, Sonics, etc, and none have this crappy hatch-opening deal....
Mine 'screwed the pooch' recently. I bought a Thomson 24" ($269) and stainless brackets ($30) from Teague Custom Marine--A jewel compared to the OEM.

Oddly, my original (unknown make model as it was painted)was mounted to inside rear seat back. I noticed something interesting while removing the original. When fully extended, I had difficulty removing the upper pin because of torgue caused by the actuator bottom could not rotate through the opening arc the last foot putting because it was pinned against the rear seat back putting intense stress on it--I'm guessing that's why it burnt.

I mounted the new one on the center stringer b/n engines (squirt adhesive silicone in pilot hole first). Had to drill new holes for upper as new bracket was vastly beefier with offset holes. Another anomaly was the old upper bracket anchor bolt was spun (probably during assembly) forcing me to remove all hatch cushions. I had to remove the bolster cushion section to work with the new anchor bolts. I got creative with the old holes by filing with same silicon adhesive and gently placing a white screw dressing cap over the excess bead. What a job - I have new found respect for marine techs.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Well I finally installed the relay box from Rex Marine and it works great. Mounts right up aginst the firewall, looks factory. Didn't time it but I would guess it is close to twice the speed.
It is worth the time and money.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by performancemary
Well I finally installed the relay box from Rex Marine and it works great. Mounts right up aginst the firewall, looks factory. Didn't time it but I would guess it is close to twice the speed.
It is worth the time and money.
My 29 enticer never had the relay but after the difference it made on my 38 i cant believe they didn't come standard from the factory!
Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Must be a negitive in it some where but other than $50.00 I can't see why the factory wouldn't have done it.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered

To be honest, I think if they wired everything right to begin with we wouldn't need the booster. I also had to re-wire my cig outlet so that it would run the dvd player.

Regardless, the piece is working well with me. Can't believe I am still in shock that my hatch goes up and down without help.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgenrl
To be honest, I think if they wired everything right to begin with we wouldn't need the booster. I also had to re-wire my cig outlet so that it would run the dvd player.

Regardless, the piece is working well with me. Can't believe I am still in shock that my hatch goes up and down without help.
Finally, you have something that goes up without help...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Registered

I really don't need your wife's help, thats just an excuse
Old 05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgenrl
I really don't need your wife's help, thats just an excuse
Good thing it isn't heavy lifting as she recently hurt her back.

Quick Reply: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.