Notices

Stress Cracks Common for PQ

Old 01-22-2002, 12:06 PM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stress Cracks Common for PQ

Would like some opinions on the stress cracks in my 260 PQ. Average length is >3" with one that is 9". PowerQuest calls them common? I have a zipped file I can email if anyone is interested in giving feedback.

Thanks Jan

my email is [email protected]
Old 01-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have a few under the swim platform on a curved area. Very few and minor though.
Old 01-22-2002, 02:31 PM
New To Power

Got a whole bunch of them. Some on the deck some on the back under the swim platform around the tabs.

What has PQ's response been like???

Let's see if PQ responds to this thread...

By the way, post some pictures of the cracks and locations.

NTP

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: New To Power ]

Old 01-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

PQ seemed real interested until I told them how many I have. All of mine are on the top deck. Will have to remove windshield to repair. I can email you a zip file, not sure where I could post pics.

Jan
Old 01-22-2002, 03:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have heard too about stress cracks under the windshield.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Cool

What year is your 260 ? I have a 1994 290 that has 400 hours on it and it has no stress cracks We have taken care not to put the boat in huge water but it has been in Lake Michigan in 3-4 footers several times. I striped all the old wax off last year and re-applied McGuyer's 3-step wax process (which means I was over the boat 4 times) and did not see one crack.

This seems like something that PQ should stand behind. The variables are has the boat seen some big water with an in-experienced operator and the age. Stress cracks are not uncommon on fiberglass boats, but yours sounds excessive
Old 01-22-2002, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am glad to say i have found no stress cracks anywhere on my boat, and have been in what you would call "big water" with it. I was in daytona for the races there and had my boat out in what some where calling 7 foot seas .. and being that i only have a 237 i think that constitues big enough.

I would not say age is a factor in cracks, where would some one come up with that? If i read that right that would mean large fizures would be in my boat.. being that i am only 26. Sorry, the age thing gets to me alot when people generalize like that. Would be like me saying most of you would need canes to walk, correct?? ... anyway... Hope to see many of you in miami. i will try to talk my travel partners into going to the gathering friday... we will be staying in Lauderdale and traveling to the show in his <gasp> scarab!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:49 PM
Registered

Cool

Sorry Fl PowerQuest if I offended you I was referring to in-experienced operators (regardless of age) and the age of the boat
Old 01-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Jan
Member "69" Charter #70
Charter Member

The boat is a 1997 that I bought new. The boat has only seen inland lakes.(Hartwell and Murray in SC, and tested on Lake Lanier in GA). Just turned 200 hrs. I have been around boats for more than 20 years. First full time job was at our local marina, rigging bass boats, Glassmaster and Hydro Streams.

I have seen SMALL cracks in other boats, but not in many boats that cost more than 40,000 dollars.

Jan
Old 01-23-2002, 02:22 PM
New To Power

Any response from PQ ????

NTP

Quick Reply: Stress Cracks Common for PQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.