what would you buy??? >

what would you buy???

Notices

what would you buy???

Old 01-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what would you buy???

Blue all the way. As soon as I see blowers I go the other way.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, IM thinking that blowers on my current 502s might be a bad idea....
I really like the sound of the Crockett Marine 502 upgrade, says it gets you 100 HP
Is there anyone out there who has done this or know anyone who has had it done? Im thinking I may go that way, 1/2 the money, over 525s. I know the 525s will be worth more in the long run, but i will have tons more in them from the start.

So next question is how does the group feel about "warmed over" 502s? will that send you screaming in the other direction??
That would worry me less than blowers.

Thanks for all the input
Old 01-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself I tend to lean towards stock power. The thought of buying something with modified power always concerns me.

Just my two cents.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

iF YOU ARE GOING TO MESS WITH THE BLACK MOTORS YOU WILL GET RESISTANCE ON RESALE..
[COLOR=Blue]If you are going to keep the boat for another 300 hours it doesn't much matter as by then you will have blow them up and will have to replace them.
My suggestion as a three time PQ owner is go blue, factory blue. If you like blowere look for a set og 575sc's They are rock solid and sound really sweet.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

It probably depends on how long you want to keep the boat. I'd lean towards the 525s. My guess would be any upgrade you do to the 502s will cost you on resale. If you are selling within the next year or two, leave it alone. If you are keeping it longer, go 525s.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

powerquest 380,

I think you need to tell us more. What are you trying to accomplish? How long do you plan on keeping the boat? Is your haul stepped? I assume you want more speed.

I don't know why everyone is so down on blower motors considering the 575, 600, 850 & 1075 are all using blowers. From what I here whether you have 500, 525 blues or the bigger blower motors you are always rebuilding the motors every 200 - 250 hours regardless of choice. It's just the cost of going fast.

I believe your 502's are 415hp and the 525's 500hp. The 525's sound like you would be spending a lot of money to only get 85hp more per side. If it takes 17 - 20 hp per mile an hour I believe you will only see 5 - 8 mph increase. I am not sure if that same rule applies to twins. Since you boat in fresh water the closed cooling probably isn't as big of a necessity

Regardless, the 575's sound like a better choice than the 525's and are probably cheaper.

The Tyler Crockett option sounds like it's just slightly cheaper than building up the 502's with blowers.

If you plan on keeping the boat for a while and really want to go fast I would consider having your 502's professionally built with blowers and new engine internals to achieve the biggest bang for your buck. I believe I've seen packages claiming 200hp per side.

You probably need to get some professional opinions. You may want to contact www.bakerenginereeringinc.com out of Nunica, MI they race Cat Can Do, or Phil Hall at Coastal Performance Marine since it sounds like he is the one trying to purchase Powerquest. I have also heard of Millennium Marine in Muskegon. I think there is another Marine High Performance engine builder in Hudsonville or Jensen which I have seen at the boat show.

Good Luck with the project and if you ever need a crew member to share Poker Run expenses let me know as I would love to tag along.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Milennyum Marine is in Harrison Twp, MI. As for Tyler Crockett, talk to Raypanic on this site, I believe Tyler helped build/dial in some blown 502 black motors in Ray's old 380.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the Blue engines BUTTTTT you do not need to change drives enjoy the turnkey 525's and the regular Bravo combo. Just behave going up on plane and they will last. Remember our boats are very light compared to another make that would be a Bravo eater.

I'm at 550hp per side with 0 problems!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered

Cool Re: what would you buy???

Originally Posted by Scott
I agree with the Blue engines BUTTTTT you do not need to change drives enjoy the turnkey 525's and the regular Bravo combo. Just behave going up on plane and they will last. Remember our boats are very light compared to another make that would be a Bravo eater.

I'm at 550hp per side with 0 problems!
I agree PowerQuest boats are lighter and with a stepped hull you don't require a lot of hull lift to get loose for speed.
Stick with a naturally aspirated engine with reasonable power and enjoy years of trouble free boating.
If you want best combination of speed, reliability, and ride quality try merc.575 integrated transom extension xr drive package. Probably pick-up 7-15 mph and not over work anything.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by powerquest 380
Rich, that would be great if you could get me the info on the builder. Do you have any idea how much he spent?

Thanks a ton
Sorry, haven't been on in awhile. I talked to my friend Scott and he told me that Baker enginering on the west side of the state did his motors and he would recommend them again and again. I believe he spent around $12,500 to 15,000 but he did have one bad motor and had to add the exhaust, and other items. I dont know what new 525's cost but that is something to think about. I would have no problems with a rebuild on the 502's if you dont go CRAZY on the power. You're only talking about an extra 110 hp per side, or less if you want, and you can paint the motors blue anyway. Good luck, if you need the phone number let me know.

Rich.

Quick Reply: what would you buy???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.