Any reason not to switch to synthetic >

Any reason not to switch to synthetic

Notices

Any reason not to switch to synthetic

Old 03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason not to switch to synthetic

I thought the beginning of the season is a good time to switch to synthetic oil if I was going to make the switch. Is there any reason that any of you know of that I shouldn't use a synthetic oil. Previous years my mechanic suggested a straight 40 weight and that is what I have been using. I have been doing some reading recently and it seems that synthetic oil is really the way to go. What do you think? Pros and Cons
Old 03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: Any reason not to switch to synthetic

Originally Posted by hot-hot-hot
I thought the beginning of the season is a good time to switch to synthetic oil if I was going to make the switch. Is there any reason that any of you know of that I shouldn't use a synthetic oil. Previous years my mechanic suggested a straight 40 weight and that is what I have been using. I have been doing some reading recently and it seems that synthetic oil is really the way to go. What do you think? Pros and Cons
They say once you start useing it you are not suppose to go back to non. Don't ask me why...
I use merc oil. Change it between 30-35hrs.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

I'm by far not an expert on oil, but here's some info from my warped brain that I read a year or so ago regarding engine oil.....

Somebody (can't remember who) recommended Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 motorcycle oil. Here's the reason. Engine oil will properly lubricate as long as it does not break down from heat, and is not limited from your oil filter to allow it to properly flow. So from what I can logically come up with, research oil filters and find one that is a higher flow, but not the highest. You do need it to be some what restrictive so that you know it is properly filtering. And choose an oil that is less likely to break down at higher temps. V-Twin Mobil 1 is designed for those big air cooled motorcycle engines that are idling in traffic and not getting the air needed to keep them cool. It has a higher viscosity break down, so it should be the best for high horsepower engines that run high RPM for long periods of time creating above normal conditions.

I know this might open a can of worms, but it makes sense to me and has worked for me. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sister in-law worked for a company a few years back that did testing on oil and at what point it began to break down. She stated they tested nearly every brand on the market at that point. Keep in mind this was about 5-6 years ago. The winner??????????????????????????? Valvoline And what do I use?????????????????????????????????????????????? Mercury oil. I've also been told as long as your changing it in that 25-30 hr range it more than likely doesn't matter what oil you use pending its a leading brand.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info guys, what it sounds like so far is as long as I am using a quality oil and changing it every 25-30 hrs synthetic is a good way to good? Anymore info is welcomed.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on oil and when you find a huge thread by Hydrocruiser start reading!

What you Will find is that Mobil One Gold cap will work fine for your application. To me the V-Twin is a gross waste of money for normal change intervals and Temps.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
I've also been told as long as your changing it in that 25-30 hr range it more than likely doesn't matter what oil you use pending its a leading brand.
Bingo. And I get a nice discount on Merc oil which really helps when you need 4 gallons and a quart or two per change.

Oil filters, now that's another subject that's been beat to death in the Q&A forum. Purolator Pure Ones have tested very high. Plus, with them at least I have SOME blue paint on my motors.