Ventilation Question?? >

Ventilation Question??

Notices

Ventilation Question??

Old 05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ventilation Question??

O.K. it seems odd that the only cold air intakes on my 26 are at the rear of the boat in cutouts under the rear sundeck. I have two areas on the upper half of the hull just at the rear of the windshield that would make prime spots for some type of cold air intake and have thought about putting in a couple. Just wondering if anyone has played around with ventilation??
Attached Thumbnails Ventilation Question??-boat-007-small-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ventilation Question??

I have wondered the same thing. A friend of mine has a 93 270 with metal PQ slotted air vents right were you are talking about. My 95 270 does not have them. I had thought about contacting the factory to see if I could buy the vents but that is out of the question for the time being. Let me know if you end up doing anything and how it turns out. I know a few people have talked about cracking up the hatch a little to let in more air. I have never tried but might this summer than look at a permanent solution if there is any difference. Just make sure you don't end up blowing the hatch off.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered

Someone a long time ago.....sounds like a fairy tale..said that if you opened the hatch a little and the rpm of the engines picked up, then you have a problem. I thought the same thing about my Revenge, no side intakes and only the back ones under the edge of the deck could not be enough but when opening the hatch I do not have a rpm change.

I now think that there is plenty of available air and the absence of side scoops help eliminate engine noise and may help a little with air resistance. Check out the 30 and 35 Baja's. They have cleaned up the sides also (supposed to have been in a wind tunnel).
Old 05-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered

The engines can also get air from under the sides of the gun whale. There is a opening from the engine compartment to the area where there is storage along the sides of the boat.

Tim
Old 05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe , But is sure makes sense to me to have side vents with fresh air intake lines into the engine compartment. I wonder with the EFI engines if they are programed to run with the hotter air inside the compartment. Even so good cold air always seems to make them run a little stronger.

Speed, I've heard of opening the engine compartment a bit. But I always figured I'd be the guy that did that and the wind would rip it from the hinges. Boy wouldn't the wife love to hear that one? But honey I picked up 2 mphs per hour!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave98
Someone a long time ago.....sounds like a fairy tale..said that if you opened the hatch a little and the rpm of the engines picked up, then you have a problem. I thought the same thing about my Revenge, no side intakes and only the back ones under the edge of the deck could not be enough but when opening the hatch I do not have a rpm change.

I now think that there is plenty of available air and the absence of side scoops help eliminate engine noise and may help a little with air resistance. Check out the 30 and 35 Baja's. They have cleaned up the sides also (supposed to have been in a wind tunnel).
Sorry, can't help but comment - why are you comparing your boat to what baja would do? More fresh air is better, don't kid yourself that any new technology would change that.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered

Mentalpause, when I was typing that comment I thought I should try to explain more but didn't. I was at work at was trying to squeeze some OSO time in! I would never compare the PQ's to Baja's. It was just a design observation. PQ made the side of the boats cleaner, maybe do to wind resistance concerns or maybe just for estetic design factors, not sure. I did read an article where Baja moved their air intakes for air resistance reasons. Not comparing boats, really just considering that maybe the engines do not need force fed air to the engine compartments. I have always thought that engines would run better with more air but maybe not.

Anyway, I had a friend who lost a hatch cover. Real bad news. It screwed up the fiberglass where the hinges were located. It did not blow clear of the boat but flew over backwards. I would say leave them tucked down tight.