State or County laws on Switchable Exhuast

Notices

State or County laws on Switchable Exhuast

Old 01-06-2007, 03:28 PM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default State or County laws on Switchable Exhuast

Has anyone ever had an encounter with the marine patrol considering your switcable exhaust ( Silent Choice) ?
I had one late summer in Spring Lake , MI (Ottawa County- Grand Haven Port). They are saying it is illegal to even HAVE it on your boat! I argued with him saying it would only be an issue if someone had it open with no silencers and above the decibels. He said they could issue a citation open or closed . I didn't even have the option on that boat ! I told him they were misinterpreting the law .
That was August 2006 in my '03 260 Legend. I sold the boat that month and just purchased a '02 340 Vyper with Corsa Quick & Quiet exhaust this week. Sweet boat and don't need any hassles!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: State or County laws on Switchable Exhuast

Originally Posted by jus roamn
Has anyone ever had an encounter with the marine patrol considering your switcable exhaust ( Silent Choice) ?
I had one late summer in Spring Lake , MI (Ottawa County- Grand Haven Port). They are saying it is illegal to even HAVE it on your boat! I argued with him saying it would only be an issue if someone had it open with no silencers and above the decibels. He said they could issue a citation open or closed . I didn't even have the option on that boat ! I told him they were misinterpreting the law .
That was August 2006 in my '03 260 Legend. I sold the boat that month and just purchased a '02 340 Vyper with Corsa Quick & Quiet exhaust this week. Sweet boat and don't need any hassles!
I went to the Corsa web site where they list laws concerning exhaust in different states. The laws were for 97-99, it says cut outs prohibited in michigan. This is a very ass-a-nine law especially if you meet the db. standards thru hull. I have and had boats with cut outs with and wthout mufflers on the thru hull tips in michigan for 15 years.I have been around/ stoped by coast guard,macomb sheirf, and boarder patrol and not one time anything was mentioned about my exhaust. If you are not drawing attention to yourself, or be a smart ass when your stopped i dought you will get a ticket for cut outs. The cop you talked to must have had small pee-pee syndrom, and wanted to let you know he can enforce any law no matter how dumb it is.Anyways i wouldnt lose any sleep over it. Also congrats on the new boat!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:13 AM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply. The marine patrol on this side of the state must have more time and are trying to create more revenue for their county ( Ottawa- Grand Haven and Holland ports). They are posting notices on the launch ramps for this newfound old law.
The officer that I encountered was friendly and congenial enough , just following through on his orders I suppose. I have talked to other boaters who were also approached , but not given citations -yet.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jus Roamn, whats happening. I bought your 257 Legend a few years back. What a great boat. We sold it and now have a 290 Enticer that we love. Can't beat PQ for the quality and price. Love the look of your new boat in the avatar. We even took the 257 across the lake to Chicago, what a trip. Take care and enjoy your new Viper!! KS
Old 01-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Registered

Grand Haven seems to be a little sticky about exhaust noise. BaronTodd has had some problems with his Cigarrette in Grand Haven last year. I have not seen too many problems at other ports on Lake Michigan. Just depends on who's listening I guess?? Good luck, KS.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

The signs at the launch sound a little discouraging...have not seen them yet.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

grand haven cops are a pain in the azz..........
I alwayse ran with my exhaust off around there....
Old 01-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Captains Choice or any other mechanical means of switching boat exhaust has been made illegal in Kansas last April, 2006. They also changed boat marking requirements. It sounds like us that are registered w/ the Coast Guard will have to display KS numbers on the outside of our boats this year. I am doing some research though to double check this. However, the switchable exhaust law seems pretty clear. Not sure how we will get around this or even if it will be enforced at our lake. I do think we are all (at our lake) going to have to be more careful of our noise, especially at the ramp.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave98
Captains Choice or any other mechanical means of switching boat exhaust has been made illegal in Kansas last April, 2006. They also changed boat marking requirements. It sounds like us that are registered w/ the Coast Guard will have to display KS numbers on the outside of our boats this year. I am doing some research though to double check this. However, the switchable exhaust law seems pretty clear. Not sure how we will get around this or even if it will be enforced at our lake. I do think we are all (at our lake) going to have to be more careful of our noise, especially at the ramp.
Even if the switchable exhaust meets the legal sound db. requirements in both selections?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 AM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

That's exactly my question JD Good . Especially here in (West ) Michigan !

Quick Reply: State or County laws on Switchable Exhuast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.