Bilge / Wiring question on a 290 Enticer >

Bilge / Wiring question on a 290 Enticer

Notices

Bilge / Wiring question on a 290 Enticer

Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge / Wiring question on a 290 Enticer

I recently purchased a 1997 290 Enticer. When I replaced the batteries I noticed 3 wires with fuse holders near the stbd battery.

1. Brown with white stripe -- After hooking this up it runs both bilge pumps. Now I know why it is disconnected because it doesn't shut off so I'm guessing the floats are stuck?

2. Red wire purple stripe -- There are actually two of these wires that are crimped together in one connector both with their own fuse holders, but I have no idea what they are for?

I have tried to follow these red wires but the enter a massive wire harness that isn't easy to follow while you are upside down in the engine compartment.

Any help / direction would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Trim tab pumps or trim pump? Good luck. I had the same problem when I bought my pq. Random wires, makes for fun winter days chasing the the wires and correctly placing in a loom.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

Are you just trying to figure out what they go to/are for?

If they followed the standard color coding....the red/pur wire is a Misc ACC main feed.....could be used for just about anything....try yanking the fuse and see what doesnt work anymore...

The brn/white is usually used for a trim pos sender......but ive seen them on a bilge pump before....that one hopefully someone else with the same model can answer for you..

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered

My single biggest complaint with my 97 enticer is the wiring.

I have had to make several enhancements to run the stereo, cig lighter, hatch ram, and trim tabs.

I am still chasing a drain that likely is self inflicted. Batts can't carry the fridge and the stereo at the same time and they are year old optima gel's..

Best of luck...wait till you pull the dash off....its clear as mud under there.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

The odd thing is that I have everything disconnected..but yet I haven't found what doesn't work?? It is the two red wires that have thrown me for a loop. I have seen similar wires on the trim pumps. Why would they wire these direct to a battery?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you guys are scaring me!! I just made an offer on a 1997 Enticer and am going up to sea trial it Saturday. Funny thing is I have a 1997 26 and have had no issues. Wiring under the dash is neat and clean and the same in the engine compartment. Maybe you guys have Monday morning wired boats.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts

Do you have two bilge pumps? The float switches should have one wire going to a constant 12v source...that way even with the main batt switch in the off position the bilge pumps still work....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Registered

My 91 Conquest has a single red wire going straight to the battery. Meaning it bypasses the Bat disconnect switch. I do know that wire runs the bilge pump (both float and dash switch mode) and the trailer up switch. But not the drive trim switch.

I have never followed it to to see how it goes where, because I have never had any issues with it.

I would assume the same thing as you on the stuck float switch driving both pumps. I had one once where the float flipped up over the top. I stood on my head then out a few swear words as reached down and fliped it back over. problem was resolved.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Mystery still unsolved, at least for the red wire with a purple line through it. Both trim pumps have similar wires on them, so I pulled the fuses out to check them…and wouldn’t you know it the fuses pulled apart when I opened the boot up! You cannot push the wire out the end of the boot to get the end of the fuse out, so I guess I’ll end up cutting the wires and adding a new in-line fuse holder unless someone has a special way to get the end of the fuse out?

Next endeavor is installing an onboard charger, but have my fingers crossed that this goes a lot easier.