Vyper vs. Avenger??? >

Vyper vs. Avenger???

Notices

Vyper vs. Avenger???

Old 07-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vyper vs. Avenger???

I'm looking to upgrade to either a 34 or 38. Have heard great things about both boats. I'm wondering if someone can give me some direct comparisons. I read one post where someone said the 38 doesn't really have any more room, and another where someone said the cockpit was significantly bigger.

Anyone have experience with both? Looking for:

1. Cabin and Cockpit room. Especially passenger room in cockpit.

2. usability of Head

3. speed with equal power

4. Rough water ride. Took my 257 out in 5ft rollers this weekend and got pounded. I want something that will flatten Lk Erie out a bit.

5. Anything else you can think of.

thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avenger vs viper

Originally Posted by bcarpman
I'm looking to upgrade to either a 34 or 38. Have heard great things about both boats. I'm wondering if someone can give me some direct comparisons. I read one post where someone said the 38 doesn't really have any more room, and another where someone said the cockpit was significantly bigger.

Anyone have experience with both? Looking for:

1. Cabin and Cockpit room. Especially passenger room in cockpit.

2. usability of Head

3. speed with equal power
assuming both boats have the same
4. Rough water ride. Took my 257 out in 5ft rollers this weekend and got pounded. I want something that will flatten Lk Erie out a bit.

5. Anything else you can think of.

thanks
I had a 99 Viper and now have a 2001 Avenger. There is far more coockpit and cabin romm in the Avenger over the Viper. The distance between the front of the bench and the back of the bolsters is about 12" to 18"' longer in the Avenger.
The cabin is also about 18" longer in the seating area and the berth is about 4"to 6" longer in the Avenger. Cabin height is also about 2" taller. The head has more room so when you sit on the stool and close the door it doesn't hit your knees.
The motors also have more room, there is another 4" or so between the front of the motors and the back of the bulkhead.

The 2001 Avenger hull didn't get applied to the Viper till sometime in 2002. That is the hull you want . Due to weight , assuming both boats have the new hull, the Viper will be faster if both boats have the same motors. However the ride on the 38 is far better. Less side to side sway . The Avenger received Powerboat Mag Offshore boat of the year with the 2000/ 2001 hull.
Both great boats but if you can afford it the Avenger is the smarter buy.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Registered

I see you are not to far from me, I have a vyper with 500 hp's let me know next time you are planning on going out and you can jump into mine and see the size of the vyper in the water, I had a 27 laser prior and wow what a difference in ride, we run to put-in-bay in 3 footers at nearly full throttle and its a great ride, we are planning on moving up to the avenger one day just because i always wanted one, you wont be dissapointed either way, just make sure you have the power you want, blue motors rule in these boats.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Normally, I recommend jumping to the largest boat you think you want to get into eventually.
UNLESS, you find the right boat that allows you to grow with your experience and logistics (truck, trailer, storage, etc); AT THE RIGHT PRICE.

If you decide the Vyper fits you, let me know. The 34 Vyper that the AT Factory took in on trade from Macklin is currently in NJ, and we NEED sell this boat.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16505-en.html

My contact info is here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=164232
Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by performancemary
I had a 99 Viper and now have a 2001 Avenger. There is far more coockpit and cabin romm in the Avenger over the Viper. The distance between the front of the bench and the back of the bolsters is about 12" to 18"' longer in the Avenger.
The cabin is also about 18" longer in the seating area and the berth is about 4"to 6" longer in the Avenger. Cabin height is also about 2" taller. The head has more room so when you sit on the stool and close the door it doesn't hit your knees.
The motors also have more room, there is another 4" or so between the front of the motors and the back of the bulkhead.

The 2001 Avenger hull didn't get applied to the Viper till sometime in 2002. That is the hull you want . Due to weight , assuming both boats have the new hull, the Viper will be faster if both boats have the same motors. However the ride on the 38 is far better. Less side to side sway . The Avenger received Powerboat Mag Offshore boat of the year with the 2000/ 2001 hull.
Both great boats but if you can afford it the Avenger is the smarter buy.
WE have a 2000 AVENGER that runs 74.1 GPS with 502 motors What is the speed advantage of the 2001 hull? We bought this boat last Oct. from 38POWERQUEST ( John ) from MC.
Dave Kline
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Dave, I would estimate about 3 mabey 4 MPH diff with the new hull. Way to tell the difference is measure the distance from the bottom og the transom tie down bolt to the bottom of the hull if it is close to 1 inch you have at least a hull where they started to make the change. If it is clearlly over an inch ,more in the 2 plus zone you have the older step hull.

Look at the lower right hand corner of the attached picture. This is the new hull
Attached Thumbnails Vyper vs. Avenger???-avenger-sale-pics-picture-001.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered

Default avenger

I had a 1996 Vyper and bought a 2002 Avenger and to be honest with you the Avenger is so much more boat it is a big step up. The Avenger flies better in the waves, much flatter than the Vyper which always seemed tail heavy. And the room in the cabin is much better for overnights. There is nothing that I don't like about the new boat. It in my thoughts is the best boat out there for the price.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the good feedback. Looks like the Avenger is the obvious choice. I especially like the idea that it has extra passenger room in the cockpit. Friends and I do a lot of just "hanging out" on the boat, and it's the one downside I have to offshores in general vs. cruisers is cockpit room.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Registered

Also, If I do find a newer hull with HP500's, what will it top out at? Will it break 80?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bcarpman
Also, If I do find a newer hull with HP500's, what will it top out at? Will it break 80?
It should hit 80 mph under ideal conditions with a light load. I recall the boat being tested in PowerBoat magazine and it hit just a hair under 80... might want to look it up, just to keep me honest.

Quick Reply: Vyper vs. Avenger???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.