Notices

290 Owners

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by rrentsch
How would you describe chine walk, what is it ?
When you are running at the top end trimmed out, it is the tendency of the boat to rock back and forth (side to side) on the chines (where the verticle part of the hull transitions to the horizontal running surface).
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
not a 29 owner but a 270 owner with a modded engine from the 454 385hp setup now with 454 but 550hp and without tabs being down at least 6 units, she walks from around 4500-WOT. Handles good otherwise through 2-3s

I think I know you, are you the PQ owner from Whiskey Island?

actually no. im from monroe, mi. on western lake erie.
where is whiskey island at?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
When you are running at the top end trimmed out, it is the tendency of the boat to rock back and forth (side to side) on the chines (where the verticle part of the hull transitions to the horizontal running surface).
along with what knot 4 me said...at first i thought chine walking was just poor hull design but then i found out most boats will walk at or near top speeds. i know boats will react differently at top speeds due to hull design such as a stepped hull, notched transom, pads, etc.

i would describe chine walking as a really "loose" feeling when my boat is funning fast and the hull is really out of the water. depending on your steering setup, it can be somewhat controlled with steering input. (ive heard standard steering and hydraulic steering react differently on driver input to correct walking)

i rode in my buddy's 36' cigarette gladiator (which he's selling if anyone is interested) this year and we hit 101mph on gps on the lake. funny thing is...the walking on that cig at 101 was not as bad as my pq at 65-68! i think he did a good job of controlling it with steering input. kept us alive at over 100!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Dont have any personal experience with 6.2's in an enticer but have several buddies with 6.2's in other hulls and they have proven very reliable. Outside of an oil line failure (2 separate motors) they have just added gas. These motors have been run pretty hard too. Obviously they rev a lot higher then the old BBC.

I will get a little bit of chine walk...but it has to really be all the way freed up and WOT. Nothing that I would describe as something to avoid the purchase for. The 29 shines for its size (in and out of the cabin) and ride. She aint the fastest hull out there. Best I saw this year was 68.9 with stock carbed 454's
Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 23 Conquest and now have a 26 Legend, a friend of mine had a 23 Stryker and over the summer I test drove a couple 29's and this type of chine walking seems to be a PQ trait. I'm sure it has to do hull design but I think it also maybe due to the fact that the PQ has such a high freeboard which in turn places the center of gravity a bit higher. I was in a friends 28 Pantara and I can tell you at 85mph this boat never moved! Was solid and flat the entire time. But than again he had twin 650's so the need to fully trim the boat out for speed was not needed.

With that said I still would like to move into a 29, they are great boats!!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
I've had a 23 Conquest and now have a 26 Legend, a friend of mine had a 23 Stryker and over the summer I test drove a couple 29's and this type of chine walking seems to be a PQ trait. I'm sure it has to do hull design but I think it also maybe due to the fact that the PQ has such a high freeboard which in turn places the center of gravity a bit higher. I was in a friends 28 Pantara and I can tell you at 85mph this boat never moved! Was solid and flat the entire time. But than again he had twin 650's so the need to fully trim the boat out for speed was not needed.

With that said I still would like to move into a 29, they are great boats!!
I think PQ got rid of the chine walk with the new hull on the300 revenge. My 300 runs 90 and I don't notice a thing unless I am trimmed to the moon. Even then it is easilly manigable. It does feel like it's going to take flight if you are heading into a strong wind!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM
Registered

This last summer my brother-in-law test drove a '93 29' with carb'ed 500's. I want to think it got to around 75mph and it felt unstable. As chine walk is described above, I'ld say that what it was doing.

It has a ton of hours, apparently rebuilt motors, light blue smoke, Too much Pink. It Dropped a motor for a sea pump and limped it in. Other motor leaked oil. But the price was like 22K so he had to look at it.

He ended up buying a '90 Formula 331. While it wasn't as fast or had as much room, it is a rock solid ride and was cleaner.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbgenrl
Dont have any personal experience with 6.2's in an enticer but have several buddies with 6.2's in other hulls and they have proven very reliable. Outside of an oil line failure (2 separate motors) they have just added gas. These motors have been run pretty hard too. Obviously they rev a lot higher then the old BBC.

I will get a little bit of chine walk...but it has to really be all the way freed up and WOT. Nothing that I would describe as something to avoid the purchase for. The 29 shines for its size (in and out of the cabin) and ride. She aint the fastest hull out there. Best I saw this year was 68.9 with stock carbed 454's
Wally- Is that my old boat? Did you buy it at Raymonds?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered

Mike, no it is not. However, I did look at your boat, with my old man...like the first day/week it was for sale up in your dad's shed. It was a very nice ride. I actually bought my boat later that same day (pending the water test) up near caddilac. This is a 97 (I think yours was a 98) and was a little cheaper, essentially the same ride though.

Actually, I still have pictures of your boat around here somewhere, it was a nice piece!
Old 10-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered

Look familiar?
Attached Thumbnails 290 Owners-img_0885.jpg   290 Owners-img_0886.jpg  

Quick Reply: 290 Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.