290 Structural help needed!!! >

290 Structural help needed!!!

Notices

290 Structural help needed!!!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 290 Structural help needed!!!

This weekend I went to check out a '93 290 Enticer which I may consider buying. All things considered it wasn't that bad, but I'm concerned with some structural issues I found. Hopefully you all can lend me a hand.

I posted pics I took of the bulkhead area inside the engine compartment. It appears to me that where the bulkhead and the sides of the boat are glassed together is cracking and may continue to crack more. Is this normal? Is this bad? Can it be fixed or will it lead to hull flexing and a potentially cracked fuel tank or worse? Please let me know your opinions so I can either move on this boat or not. thank you all in advance.

P.S. I labeled them, so I hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails 290 Structural help needed!!!-dscn3312.jpg   290 Structural help needed!!!-dscn3311.jpg   290 Structural help needed!!!-dscn3318.jpg  

Last edited by beamog; 10-22-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

And one more. If you'd like the pics bigger I can resize them for better detail. Just let me know. thanks
Attached Thumbnails 290 Structural help needed!!!-dscn3319.jpg  
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

You might want to post this in the Fiberglass forum to get some experienced opinions.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

I am sure it is repairable, But with all the boats on the market I would run to look at a different boat.
The forces that did the damage to that area have been applied to other areas on the boat.
Don't get me wrong I am by no means a structural fiber glass guy, so maybe it is no big deal. But my '91 has nothing like that. I would think that is not typical for Powerquests.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

I agree with the guys above, I would get a professional opinion. I have never seen a boat w/ cracks like that. It would make me very wary. I am guessing the repair costs would maybe make another, more expensive boat, seem like a bargain.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shawn D
I am sure it is repairable, But with all the boats on the market I would run to look at a different boat.
The forces that did the damage to that area have been applied to other areas on the boat.
Don't get me wrong I am by no means a structural fiber glass guy, so maybe it is no big deal. But my '91 has nothing like that. I would think that is not typical for Powerquests.
Bingo! why buy something with known problems, Its a boat buyers market now, time to be picky.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Registered

my 1996 29' powerquest is my first performance boat and i dont remember having anything structurally wrong like that. i just replaced the impellers on sunday when we were winterizing and took out the backseat assembly / bulkhead and it seemed fine.

i had looked at a 90 32' baja prior to the pq and it had the structural damage you are talking about and it also had cracks underneath the cockpit access panels which appeared to have been covered up according to the surveyor. oh yeah...surveyor - money well spent. after finding those issues, we cut the survey short and he just charged me half his rate for his drive time / partial survey. he felt the powerquest was a much better buy than the baja after looking at them both. the powerquest was 3' shorter but it was 6 years newer and injected which was what i was looking for.

i think you should move on and just come look at mine!! j/k

unfortunately for me i think i have bigger boat syndrome already and would love to jump to the 32-35 range although i should keep what i have for atleast another season. i have abosutely loved the pq and it has gotten alot of compliments.

hope this helped you.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. that info really helped, especially slowboat. We've decided to scrap the idea of the PQ. The structual issues concerned me, which I don't doubt I could repair, but wouldn't know how much more damage is hidden. And the starbord motor had been 'fixed' which was basically because the manifold leaked water into the motor, locking it up. this caused the starter bolts to break when trying to turn it over. So all in all, I would have to repair the body and eventually end up doing motors. The price was okay, but not a steal. Thanks again all
Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beamog
..... but wouldn't know how much more damage is hidden. ....

That's what I would have worried about. Not what you can see, but what you can't see.

I'd move on to the next also. Happy shopping!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

glad all the info helped!

Quick Reply: 290 Structural help needed!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.