257 or 26 Powerquest at speed

Notices

257 or 26 Powerquest at speed

Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 257 or 26 Powerquest at speed

Hi all -

Couple of questions for you 257/26 PQ owners ......... 1. Are the hulls on the 257 and 26 the same ? 2. How would a 26 foot PQ handle speeds in the mid to high 70's ?

Thanks in advance ..........

Last edited by Kidnova; 11-17-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Kidnova
Hi all -

Couple of questions for you 257/26 PQ owners ......... 1. Are the hulls on the 257 and 26 the same ? 2. How would a 26 foot PQ handle speeds in the mid to high 70's ?

Thanks in advance ..........
The actual length of the 26 Legend is 25'7". It is great hull; handles the rough water and high speeds really well. I have a 1999 26' Legend with a new Merc 454 Mag MPI, bored out with Imco powerflow exhaust(150hrs on boat; 50 hrs on new engine). The boat tops out at 72mph with one person and about 1/4 tank of fuel.
Are you interested in buying a 26 Powerquest?
If so I just traded my boat in for a new Sunsation 32SSR, and I can get you in contact with the dealer for a great deal. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Thanks for the response MC. My questions were actually for future reference. Due to a recent separation from the "better half" $$ is a little tight so a new/used boat is not in the near future. Plus I recently sank a chitt load of $$ into my engine for high HP. In a nut shell.... $$ will be tight for a while.

I've heard the 26 foot PQ handles rough water well. Where I boat the lake can turn up 3.5 to 4 footers with a wind shift or storm, and it can happen pretty quickly. Sometimes a bit much for the Humble Little Nova.

Previous to the latest BS, I had been hoping to pick up a mid to late 90s 26 foot PQ with stock power, and do an engine swap. Then sell the Nova with stock power. Might have to put the plan on hold for a while unless I find a killer deal.

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Pq 260 Xl

I had a 1998 PQ 260 XL with a 502 and no tabs. My divorce present after the other half left. I was not impressed with my boat at the 60 to 65 mph speeds. Mine would tend to start chine walking and at 60+ that is a little scarry. I would not have that boat again without trim tabs if your going to run those speeds!!! Other than that I loved it and cannot complain at all about the quality or rough water boating at any speed below 60. So, if your interested in this boat put tabs on it if it doesn't have them already.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a beautiful 1997 with a stock 454 mag EFI. Nothing but praise for the boat! Matter of fact we were going to sell it and move up to a 29 but have now decided to keep what we have as it's very economical to run and handles the nasty stuff Lake Michigan throws at us from time to time. And the beauty is I don't have a fortune invested so if I miss a weekend I don't feel so bad...... Well that parts a lie!!!! I'm pretty bummed if I miss a weekend. Anyhow great boat and yes at 60 she will walk a bit. I've got 16" tabs but rarely use them other than in the nasty stuff. So once there dropped I'm not going to see 60 anyway . 55 yes and she's a solid ride.. If we keep it I'd like to repower with something a bit larger. But we'll see.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered

I was just reading Pachanga's thread - "New PQ owner, maybe". As you eluded to in your post #4 here Scarab31, the 26 PQ hull does not seem to be designed/built for speed.

Scarab 31 - I put a ZZ502/502 in my 23 Nova, and it would start to walk when I hit the low to md 60's (GPS). The walk got worse/more scary as speeds got in to the high 60s. I contacted Throttle UP and Matt said prop work would likely help get rid of the chine walk, so I had them work the prop. After Throttle Up worked their majic, the boat would run up to 73 on GPS (in perfect water/weather conditions) without a hint of chine walk. I was both surprised and pleased as he!!. Maybe Throttle Up could do the same for a 26 PQ. Maybe I should give them a call and talk it over with them.

I like the 26 PQ because of the quality, rough water handling ability, and size. Plus I could easily trailer a 26 with my 1/2 ton Chevy. But, I like speed, so maybe a 26 PQ would not be the best choice for me.

Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it.

Last edited by Kidnova; 12-01-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kidnova
I was just reading Pachanga's thread - "New PQ owner, maybe". As you eluded to in your post #4 here Scarab31, the 26 PQ hull does not seem to be designed/built for speed.

Scarab 31 - I put a ZZ502/502 in my 23 Nova, and it would start to walk when I hit the low to md 60's (GPS). The walk got worse/more scary as speeds got in to the high 60s. I contacted Throttle UP and Matt said prop work would likely help get rid of the chine walk, so I had them work the prop. After Throttle Up worked their majic, the boat would run up to 73 on GPS (in perfect water/weather conditions) without a hint of chine walk. I was both surprised and pleased as he!!. Maybe Throttle Up could do the same for a 26 PQ. Maybe I should give them a call and talk it over with them.

I like the 26 PQ because of the quality, rough water handling ability, and size. Plus I could easily trailer a 26 with my 1/2 ton Chevy. But, I like speed, so maybe a 26 PQ would not be the best choice for me.

Thanks for the input everyone I appreciate it.
Kidnova...These are my exact questions. All these guys tell me my Pachanga can't do this or that! I have seen it done! I don't see why without some tweaking a 26 couldn't run 80 comfortably. I have all the ingredients now....full hydraulic steering, 454 with 50 hours...procharged for a dependable 600++ HP...all I have to do is put in is the labor. I am tugging back and forth...strike ahead against all the advise that says it won't work...or give it a try! I would love to hear from someone that has really given it a shot and worked with a prop. Prop difference makes all the world's difference on my Pachanga...just as you described with your Nova. I love a street(water) sleeper! I had a 4 banger Pinto running mid 15's in the quater mile as a teenager...man that was a fun car! Perhaps this will drive me forward! Surprised a big HP Baja last summer with my Pachanga and had a great talk at the place we were both heading for lunch!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I used to own a 98 260.454 magwith a carb. The best speed was 62.3 with a Throttle -up repitched 21 to a 22 3 blade Mirage Plus at 5050 rpm's. The boat did have a slight chine walk, but that is to be expected trimed all the way out. Powerquest did build a hook into the back of the hull that will limit you on top speed. If you put a straight edge on the back section of the bottom of the hull you will see what I mean. I did know someone who tried to get big speed out of his 260 with over 600 hp and got maybe mid 70's. The hook was the limiting factor. It is actually a wedge at the back. You don't notice it untill you put the straight edge on it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
Kidnova...These are my exact questions. All these guys tell me my Pachanga can't do this or that! I have seen it done! I don't see why without some tweaking a 26 couldn't run 80 comfortably. I have all the ingredients now....full hydraulic steering, 454 with 50 hours...procharged for a dependable 600++ HP...all I have to do is put in is the labor. I am tugging back and forth...strike ahead against all the advise that says it won't work...or give it a try! I would love to hear from someone that has really given it a shot and worked with a prop. Prop difference makes all the world's difference on my Pachanga...just as you described with your Nova. I love a street(water) sleeper! I had a 4 banger Pinto running mid 15's in the quater mile as a teenager...man that was a fun car! Perhaps this will drive me forward! Surprised a big HP Baja last summer with my Pachanga and had a great talk at the place we were both heading for lunch!
Before I bought the ZZ502 I was told a ZZ502/502 would shake itself apart in a boat, wrong clearences, bad choice for marine use, yada yada. I was told that a 23 Nova given its 20 year old hull design, there was no way to get rid of the walk. I was told the 23 Nova could not go 70 mph and still handle well.

I ran the ZZ502 hard for 4 seasons without a glitch. Several local poker runs at almost WOT for 25 miles straight (had to keep up with the big guys). The ZZ never missed a beat, never broke down. After prop work, there is no chine walk. At +70 mph on GPS the Nova handles fine (just don't turn the wheel to fast at that speed LOL).

Were the nay-sayers right .... only partially. But there were not many 23 Nova's around with that kind of power before. At least not where I boat. I say as long as you have the boat and have the engine, put the engine in the boat and give it a go. If it works, great. If not, go to plan B.

I should have the "new and improved" ZZ in the Nova for this coming season. Way over powered IMHO. But, I have the boat and I have the engine. So, I'm gonna give it a go. If it works, great. If not, I go to plan B

Good luck to you !!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary C
I used to own a 98 260.454 magwith a carb. The best speed was 62.3 with a Throttle -up repitched 21 to a 22 3 blade Mirage Plus at 5050 rpm's. The boat did have a slight chine walk, but that is to be expected trimed all the way out. Powerquest did build a hook into the back of the hull that will limit you on top speed. If you put a straight edge on the back section of the bottom of the hull you will see what I mean. I did know someone who tried to get big speed out of his 260 with over 600 hp and got maybe mid 70's. The hook was the limiting factor. It is actually a wedge at the back. You don't notice it untill you put the straight edge on it.
My Nova also has the "hook" built in as you describe. I'm no expert, but I think you might be right about the hook being a speed limiting factor. I did not know PQ's also have the hook. My Nova likes lots of OD trim to reach max speed. Seems the "hook" would have something to do with that as well.

Quick Reply: 257 or 26 Powerquest at speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.