Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
NewPowerquest Owner..Maybe? Opinions? >

NewPowerquest Owner..Maybe? Opinions?

Notices

NewPowerquest Owner..Maybe? Opinions?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NewPowerquest Owner..Maybe? Opinions?

I just boiught this boat if it checks out! http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17464-en.html
I have been hunting and looking! Plan on dropping a procharged 454 built for the procharger putting out in the low 600 HP range. I would love to hear everyone's opinions. Are their any issues with Powerquests I should look for? All I have read is positive. Seems like a good buy to me! Need a boat that won't bounce to much so the wife is happy! Didn't buy for the Ocean...for lakes...LOL not like what I have read about LOTO! Also..if the deal goes through I have a 496 with less than 100 hours on it forsale! Make your offers...will consider a stock 454 in good condition on trade!

Last edited by pachanga; 11-27-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking boat and welcome to the PQ family!!!

I would seriously reconsider your re-powering idea only because there is much to do to for supporting that much HP. The hull itself is also limited. Take if from my experience, it gets expensive and a newer bigger faster boat would have probably been a better choice. Besides the built engine, I have around 7 grand and in total around 20 grand including the engine. Parts included Hydraulic steering, IMCO shorty, and other supporting mods for the 550hp in my 270 laser. Without it the mods, the boat was very unstable and dangerous at the higher speeds. I'm getting 69.6 on my Garmin GPS, stock speed with the original 454EFI was 55mph. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Same HP in a 27-29 Fountain boats are running 85+. Like I said, PQ is a great boat but trying to make it a high performance offshore boat is way expensive. PQ has told me before that I am way maxed on HP to the hull several times.

Last edited by pkspx; 11-28-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pkspx
Great looking boat and welcome to the PQ family!!!

I would seriously reconsider your re-powering idea only because there is much to do to for supporting that much HP. The hull itself is also limited. Take if from my experience, it gets expensive and a newer bigger faster boat would have probably been a better choice. Besides the built engine, I have around 7 grand and in total around 20 grand including the engine. Parts included Hydraulic steering, IMCO shorty, and other supporting mods for the 550hp in my 270 laser. Without it the mods, the boat was very unstable and dangerous at the higher speeds. I'm getting 69.6 on my Garmin GPS, stock speed with the original 454EFI was 55mph. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Same HP in a 27-29 Fountain boats are running 85+. Like I said, PQ is a great boat but trying to make it a high performance offshore boat is way expensive. PQ has told me before that I am way maxed on HP to the hull several times.
I appreciate your input! I actually just bought a new twin ram Imco full hydraulic steering system. I already have the big power with only 50 hours on it. I am having some 2nd thoughts. The boat supposedly runs around 72-73 with the 496. I boat in pretty tame water. Rarely see more than 2-3's. Most the boats around here in the Go-fast run 80 or so. Kindda what I'm looking to do. Please feel free to try and talk me out of it! Seems like a good topic that other could benifit from so I won't PM. Do you think with tabs and hydraulic steering the boat will not handle the power? I understand I will need to be easy on the drive. Perhaps a gearset upgrade would be in order. Again...thanks for your input!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't know what other 260 owners are running with their 496's but if it is around 70, that's damn good i would say for a pleasure boat. With 150 extra hp, you will probably pick up 5mph but I'm not a expert, I just know this from my experience. I'm not really sure what your goal with your boat is, but if your trying to get 80 out of it forget about it. I also have the IMCO twin steering as well as a IMCO shorty lower unit. PQ mounted our drives way to low and I have actually picked up speed just from that and a better handling boat in all conditions at any speed! I have the stock tabs that came with the boat and they do just fine. I was thinking of getting the Kpro 24 that come on the smaller Fountains but decided against it because I'm now searching for a stock bigger faster boat. I also had the Hardin marine tab indicator and drive indicator installed to help me adjust everything according to conditions to be more precise. You can Definitly make the boat run faster and tweak her to run stable running with 150 added hp, but without supporting mods, you will never be happy.

Last edited by pkspx; 11-28-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Nice ride. I would leave it stock, though. If you want to run 80 + I would buy a different boat/hull. The hook built into this hull along with no pad and no steps means it will take a ton of HP to run 80 MPH and it will be a chine-walking beast at those speeds.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed!! Unless your willing to perform some bottom work the 28 maybe the better choice. Everyone I've talked with, has the same problem I have. Once you get over 60 its a hands on boat. I've hit 62 a couple times and it was a bit nerve racking. I've always wondered if I had more power and dragged the 16" tabs if it would settle down??
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Registered

Well! Starting to sound like this might be a stepping stone! I really apreciate all the input! I do wonder. I definately don't want to jerk the 496 out if the hull won't appreciate my 600+ procharged baby!

You guys are starting to make me want to do a winter trip where I can give her a good test with the 496. A couple a guys who seem to be in the know agree the boat will run low 70's with the 496. My little Pachanga...maybe the same Hull type? I am certain ran comfortable in the 80's last season(maybe now before last). Buggered my prop up a little and had it redone. Yikes...screwed everything about the preformance up! The bow stayed planted. Turned out the prop was tricked out...cupped etc. Chinewalking like a ***** after 70....had the balls once to push it to 78...had to trim the crap outta it etc....no question the right prop makes a big difference!

If I can't run stable my wife isn't going to put up with my thrills! Looks like it might have to stay stock. :-(
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Like the guys told me back at the PQ factory when they were building my boat.PQ is a Lexus not a Porsche,you get there in style but maybe not fastest.
PQ 260 is a good boat ,enjoy!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
Agreed!! Unless your willing to perform some bottom work the 28 maybe the better choice. Everyone I've talked with, has the same problem I have. Once you get over 60 its a hands on boat. I've hit 62 a couple times and it was a bit nerve racking. I've always wondered if I had more power and dragged the 16" tabs if it would settle down??
Tabs definitely are needed but it still was not 100% perfect. After I did the IMCO shorty it seem to make the boat even more stable in the water. I'm very happy with the end results, took a lot to get here but it's perfect. If anyone is thinking of modding a PQ, i would highly suggest you either reconsider your options or definitely plan on a good set of tabs, external steering, and an external IMCO shorty.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

I had a 260 with a 454 310 hp. no gps but on a real good day I have seen 60 on the speedo. Hard to believe 72 or so with a 496. I have a 28 with a 496 ho. and on a good day it will do 67 maby a little over on a gps.

Quick Reply: NewPowerquest Owner..Maybe? Opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.