PQ gelcoat black streak problems

Notices

PQ gelcoat black streak problems

Old 04-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PQ gelcoat black streak problems

I have these black streaks all over the boat and it looks a tad on dingy side. Yearly I have been using a product by 3M called Marine Restorer and Wax using a buffer with a foam pad then waxed right after that. It seems to bring the boat to a very nice glossy look and was amazing. But this is insane how yearly I have to do this. Am I not doing something correctly to prevent this from happing? Maybe the gel coat is ruined from previous buffing jobs and can't hold up good enough or is this just a common 700hour or a PQ problem? Anyone else have this issue and what are you doing to take care of it. Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the black streaks as well.Seems to be more of an issue in and around the rub rail and windshield. Every once in a while I get some thats pretty tough to get off so I use a Black Streak remover I picked up at the marine store.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only get the black streaks when the boat has sat out in the rain with the cover on. It seems like it's some kind or dirt / grime that comes from the cover. I think this is a common issue with all manufactures. It's just dirt.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Suck it in and rebuff? Am I hurting the gel coat if I do this every year? this stuff I use is suppose to take off a very very very very thing coat I hear
Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

Thumbs up answer

the streaks come from the run off from the cockpit cover. If you keep your boat outside a full storage type cover that covers the sides as well will save you alot of work and also keep out the damage done by the sun.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dave Kline
the streaks come from the run off from the cockpit cover. If you keep your boat outside a full storage type cover that covers the sides as well will save you alot of work and also keep out the damage done by the sun.
few years ago I ended up in getting on of those covers, you are correct, they do work pretty good but I am still getting a slight black streak on the sides, never ending battle.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Registered

Unhappy rub rub rub

Originally Posted by pkspx
few years ago I ended up in getting on of those covers, you are correct, they do work pretty good but I am still getting a slight black streak on the sides, never ending battle.
don't you mean a labor of love ever try the Rainx spray wax in the blue bottle? It will remove the streaks if they aren't too bad, I've got a Baja friend who sprays his boat down with it when he pulls out for the wipedown (rub rub rub) and his boat always looks good. Good luck happy rubbing.

Last edited by Dave Kline; 04-24-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add