PQ Legend Hull >

PQ Legend Hull

Notices

PQ Legend Hull

Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I have been in a couple of PQ 260 and they didnt need any tab to come on plane,that is why they have the rocker in the back,
the boat was designed to run without any tab at all,that is the reason the rocker is put between the outer lifting strake and chine,it has no effect when going fast,that part is out of the water.
sunation builts a good boat but think about what your are saying,you take a boat like the 260 with a deep V and will be a bit slower because theres more boat in the water,more drag,but when you jump out of the water and re enter it will have a softer entry/better ride.
now if you take the sunsation with the pad on the bottom and a narrow beam it will be a little faster because it rideing on top of the water with less drag but every time you re enter the water its going to have a hard entry.
again I am not taking anything away from sunsation,this applys to any pad bottom boat
I have to disagree with you here. You cannot just say that because of the pad the 288 Sunny will have a rougher ride than the straight v-keel on the 260 PQ. There are other factors that come into play. From my own experiences, the 288 Sunny has a better rough water ride than the 260 PQ. Other's experiences may be different depending on how you trim the boats out at speed.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
I can tell you this. The Powerquest pretty much needed the tabs to get up on plane. The Sunny doesn't bat an eye...tabs or no tabs. I believe the Sunny has a bit better ride but it is longer. I really liked the Powerquest...but was facing the same issue you are investigating. Pretty much was told by those in the know here you would have to throw a ton of power at it to see 80 and then the ride would not be so stable. I came across what i considered an H of a trade so I traded. I am happy and the most important part is my wife is tickled pink! Thought about blueprinting the hull but just couldn't justify it and would definately be a bit of a gamble.
The 288 Intimidator and 32 Dominator hulls also have a small amount of rocker between the chine and first strake at the stern. It is not as pronounced as the PQ, but it is there.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just giving my experience driving both boats. The Legend would get on plane without the tabs...but had a much easier time with the tabs. Don't notice much difference with or without the tabs on the Sunsation.

The biggest thing that helps the Sunsation is it has somewhat of a stepped hull.

Don't get me wrong! I also liked my powerquest...just wanted a little more speed. The Sunsation uses quite a bit less fuel than the Powerquest as well.

As for ride...I'll let you discuss that with my wife! Too much bouncin and shes b*tchin!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
I have been in a couple of PQ 260 and they didnt need any tab to come on plane,that is why they have the rocker in the back,
the boat was designed to run without any tab at all,that is the reason the rocker is put between the outer lifting strake and chine,it has no effect when going fast,that part is out of the water.
sunation builts a good boat but think about what your are saying,you take a boat like the 260 with a deep V and will be a bit slower because theres more boat in the water,more drag,but when you jump out of the water and re enter it will have a softer entry/better ride.
now if you take the sunsation with the pad on the bottom and a narrow beam it will be a little faster because it rideing on top of the water with less drag but every time you re enter the water its going to have a hard entry.
again I am not taking anything away from sunsation,this applys to any pad bottom boat
So, there is no "rocker" between the keel and inner chine (sorry, I guess hook isn't quite the right term). And the rocker is out of the water at speed.... well then, it would seem the rocker wouldn't be an issue at speed.

I realize the 26 PQ is not necessarily the optimum hull for speed. But, I do have just shy of 700 hp to move a boat along (5% correction factor ). I would think that would get a 26 PQ into the high 70's, maybe low 80's ?

I found too that different props can make a substantial difference in overall handling, including chine walk. At least that's the way it went with prop testing when I put the ZZ502/502 in my Nova.

Thanks again for the input everyone. You guys have been very helpful !!

Last edited by Kidnova; 08-26-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add info/text
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a straight edge on mine and theres no hook at all..
I've own a 26 for 3 years now and I can tell you for a fact that you don't need tabs to plane!! I've had up to 10 people on board and still never dropped the tabs. Thats spinning a 23 or 21p mirage plus. That hull jumps on plane with no issues at all and delivers a solid predictable ride. I will say it does like a lot trim to get to the top end and she will walk a bit. However after a couple years of trying props I found the Hydromotive Q1V-X 4blade really help settle the boat down and now likes the tabs dropped a bit. My boat came with the dual ram insta trim tabs sport model. I pulled the lower part of the tab and installed the larger tabs which I belive were 15-16" in length. Up until the prop change I really never used the tabs. As for the Sunsation having a better ride? I would hope so , if I'm not mistaken its only got a 8' beam and of course nearly 3 foot in length.

The 26 is a great boat and I beleive was PQ's best seller with the 29 not far behind. For a 26 you can't go wrong!

Last edited by Fast Forward; 08-27-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Registered

I don't know if there were any changes to the hull design...mine was a 2003. If I didn't use the tabs a bit on mine with a 23 mirage it would act like a boat that didn't need tabs that was trimmed up a bit(would easily cut a second or more off planing time using the tabs). The 260 is definately a taller boat. More meat or hull in the water so ta speak. I never tried hard to max mine out because of the wife...but the best I ever got was 62 on a handheld GPS and was starting to get squirrely(496 Mag HO). In it's defense I didn't put but about 10 hours on it so I really didn't have a chance to tweak or learn so to speak. I never put a staight edge on mine...got enough confirmation here from members about what I am talking about.

I also thought the rocker was put in to stop porposing...not to get on plane! The sunny loves to porpose trimmed up without a little tab! Only got about 10 hrs on her as well!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Registered

I was under the impression the rockers were in place simply to improve on planning time? With the rockers in place (if that thought is correct) PQ could get a way with no tabs to help cut cost???? Just a thought. I've never had any issues with the boat porposing, just walking a bit on top end.But than again like most others is not very often due to the wife. The 26 is defiantly not a speed demon, just a good solid ride with some pretty good lines.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered

Smile

okay today after work im checking for the hook,

i never use my tabs, take it to 3000 rpm and boat lifts an lays out nicely, only time i use my tabs are in the wind to even the boat out, used my gps for the first time on the boat last night
and got to 60 mph at 4200 rpm, cant seem to get more than 4200 rpm with the 23P mirage but have not really played much with the trim or the tabs,

by the way that is my boat for sale on SW

FAST FORWARD..... WHEN YOU TESTED PROPS WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY TABS 2 AND SO ON
DO YOU HAVE INDICATORS

Last edited by lennyk; 08-27-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

Yep I have indictors on the dash. In the past the boat would loose speed with the tabs down. With the new prop and the lift it provides the boat now like some tab.

Not sure what power you have but based on your numbers your speedo is very happy or your tach is off. I could hit 60 on a very good day (once) with the 23 Mirage Plus with a 454 mag efi at 4600-4700 rpm.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
Yep I have indictors on the dash. In the past the boat would loose speed with the tabs down. With the new prop and the lift it provides the boat now like some tab.

Not sure what power you have but based on your numbers your speedo is very happy or your tach is off. I could hit 60 on a very good day (once) with the 23 Mirage Plus with a 454 mag efi at 4600-4700 rpm.
speed was on the gps,, all tack numbers are about the same as yours until it gets up to 4000

was not sure about my tack myself, my spedo is within 1-2mph of my gps, gonna check the tack this week..... 454mag mpi

Last edited by lennyk; 08-27-2008 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: PQ Legend Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.