PQ Legend Hull >

PQ Legend Hull

Notices

PQ Legend Hull

Old 08-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PQ Legend Hull

Anyone here ever checked to see if a 2000 PQ Legend has a hook in the hull? Like put a straight edge along the bottom of the boat (4 ft. level or whatever) from the transom forward to see if there's a space between the bottom of the boat and the straight edge?

I understand some boats/hulls have the hook built in, to help with getting up on plane and help reduce the tendancy to porpose.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Yes they do.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Knot 4 me. There's one for sale in the SW classifieds that has a decent asking price. I seem to keep going back to the add again and again LOL

My 23 Nova has the hook which is why I think it likes so much trim in the out drive at speed. I also think the hook might be slowing me down, as it takes 500 hp (ZZ502/502) to go 70 mph on gps. My ZZ has recently been bored/stroked to a 557 and I've been looking for a little more "hull" to drop it in. 26 PQ on SW is affordable, and seems like a good deal. And I've heard the 26 PQ is pretty good in snotty water, for a 26. Just a little hesitant about that phark'n hook.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my Legend for a Sunsation because of that hook! Same power...288 instead of a 260 and does a solid 5+MPH more with the same power.

The Powerquest was roomier and the cabin was wider though.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
I traded my Legend for a Sunsation because of that hook! Same power...288 instead of a 260 and does a solid 5+MPH more with the same power.

The Powerquest was roomier and the cabin was wider though.
they both weight about the same,but the sunsation has a pad bottom,you get a little more speed but a slightly rougher ride.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

I've never ridden in a 26 PQ but I've heard the ride is good for a 26. I have poked around in one and I like the overall quality, cockpit size/room, and the wind shield too (family friendly).

Seems like tabs would take care of any tendancy to porpose and of course get up on plane. Think it might be worth the time/$$ to grind the hook out and re-gel that portion of the bottom??

I know that ultimately, getting a boat without hook would make more sense. But funds are limited. And the 26 PQ has allot of desireable features, to me.

Thanks, I appreciate the input everyone.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered

I can tell you this. The Powerquest pretty much needed the tabs to get up on plane. The Sunny doesn't bat an eye...tabs or no tabs. I believe the Sunny has a bit better ride but it is longer. I really liked the Powerquest...but was facing the same issue you are investigating. Pretty much was told by those in the know here you would have to throw a ton of power at it to see 80 and then the ride would not be so stable. I came across what i considered an H of a trade so I traded. I am happy and the most important part is my wife is tickled pink! Thought about blueprinting the hull but just couldn't justify it and would definately be a bit of a gamble.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered

The Sunsation is 300lbs heavier and holds 30 more gallons of fuel.

Originally Posted by boatnt
they both weight about the same,but the sunsation has a pad bottom,you get a little more speed but a slightly rougher ride.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
I can tell you this. The Powerquest pretty much needed the tabs to get up on plane. The Sunny doesn't bat an eye...tabs or no tabs. I believe the Sunny has a bit better ride but it is longer. I really liked the Powerquest...but was facing the same issue you are investigating. Pretty much was told by those in the know here you would have to throw a ton of power at it to see 80 and then the ride would not be so stable. I came across what i considered an H of a trade so I traded. I am happy and the most important part is my wife is tickled pink! Thought about blueprinting the hull but just couldn't justify it and would definately be a bit of a gamble.
I have been in a couple of PQ 260 and they didnt need any tab to come on plane,that is why they have the rocker in the back,
the boat was designed to run without any tab at all,that is the reason the rocker is put between the outer lifting strake and chine,it has no effect when going fast,that part is out of the water.
sunation builts a good boat but think about what your are saying,you take a boat like the 260 with a deep V and will be a bit slower because theres more boat in the water,more drag,but when you jump out of the water and re enter it will have a softer entry/better ride.
now if you take the sunsation with the pad on the bottom and a narrow beam it will be a little faster because it rideing on top of the water with less drag but every time you re enter the water its going to have a hard entry.
again I am not taking anything away from sunsation,this applys to any pad bottom boat

Last edited by boatnt; 08-26-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidnova
I've never ridden in a 26 PQ but I've heard the ride is good for a 26. I have poked around in one and I like the overall quality, cockpit size/room, and the wind shield too (family friendly).

Seems like tabs would take care of any tendancy to porpose and of course get up on plane. Think it might be worth the time/$$ to grind the hook out and re-gel that portion of the bottom??

I know that ultimately, getting a boat without hook would make more sense. But funds are limited. And the 26 PQ has allot of desireable features, to me.

Thanks, I appreciate the input everyone.
Leave the rocker alone. Add 280 K-planes to help with chine walk at higher speeds.

Quick Reply: PQ Legend Hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.