lookin at a 380 >

lookin at a 380

Notices

lookin at a 380

Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also own a 38 and love it. I have never been to the chain or Lake Mich, but do know that when PQ was building them they used the lake for testing and said they built it for that lake. Just what I was told years ago. I do boat in the Ozarks and from what I understand the water can be worse down there unless the lake has a storm. The ride is AWSOME and takes big water very very well.

As for the speed you are looking for, mine is a 99 and the 03 hull is faster but I am running 525 sc's pumped to 625 hp. I also have 12" boxes and run 5 blades. The best I ever got was 81.6 GPS on my local lake. I am sure there was 1 maybe 2 more in it at that time but to be honest my goal was 80 and I had achieved that so I backed off. No reason to push it for just 1 or 2 more to me.

The boat is a great boat and I would think you would be very happy with it, I am on my 3rd PQ and have enjoyed them all. From a 29 fountain to a 38 PQ you will think you bought a cruiser...

Good luck in what ever you do.

Rich.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Also own the 380 and LOVE it. I have been on Lake Michigan with 4 to 6 footers and it was FUN!!! Ran across the lake from Michigan City to Chicago and back. I have seen the boat you are refering to and it is NICE!!! We use to run Lake Cumberland all the time. With the 525efi's it runs mid 80's, add blowers and it will run mid 90's+.

The 380 is a GREAT boat and made well. 10 years and it still looks and runs new.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
I also own a 38 and love it. I have never been to the chain or Lake Mich, but do know that when PQ was building them they used the lake for testing and said they built it for that lake.
Rich.
Actually they did all their testing on Lake Macatawa,small body of water off Lake Michigan.

Originally Posted by RaceRPM
Also own the 380 and LOVE it. I have been on Lake Michigan with 4 to 6 footers and it was FUN!!!

The 380 is a GREAT boat and made well. 10 years and it still looks and runs new.
Like I said in my 1st post the 380 is a Good Boat!
But running in TRUE 6 footers on Lake Michigan, was it really fun?really?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by icbmfountain
Thanks everyone for the input. Does anyone know what it would run with either whipples or ATI blowers anyone got that setup. I want it to go 85-90. I already have ITS transom assm. for it.
I wouldnt think that you would need blowers if 85ish is a speed you want. I have a video of a 2003 38 PQ being tested in florida with 525s in it (not supercharged). I know that salt water is faster but it can give you an idea. If you want a copy of the video let me know, i would send you a copy if you want.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Registered

Buy a pantera 36. You'll be a lot happier.....
Old 12-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by THE 288 KID
Buy a pantera 36. You'll be a lot happier.....
I also was looking at the 01 380 down in alabama. I would just have to repower it....

It has to be a powerquest, Formula, or a Cigarette.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by icbmfountain
I also was looking at the 01 380 down in alabama. I would just have to repower it....

It has to be a powerquest, Formula, or a Cigarette.
I have been in them all and the Formula and PQ are close, To me the formula has a little extra goodies but just not a fan of the colors or windsheild look, again just my opinion.
The cig it depends on what you want the cigs a narrower then the PQ. Powerquest says they ar 8'6" wide there is no way they are they have to be wider then that, but the cigs are 8' wide.
A good buddy of mine owned a 35 cafe and it rode in LOTO very well in the rough stuff to. I drove it many times and enjoyed it just as much. The difference in the two (in my eyes) was a cig goes through the waves the PQ goes over them. His 35 cafe was only around 6 inches shorter then my 38 PQ so the boat is really only like a 35'6" boat with out the swim plat form.
I will let you know that my next boat is would be a Cig, an OUterlimits, or a Nor Tech. I really do like the 42 Tigers though.
That PQ you are lookig at is a very nice looking boat and you will be very happy with it if you were to buy it. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Default The Avenger

I had a 2001 with 575sci's , I believe the factory only made two of them. Mine was bone stock and with the merc five blades ( lab finished) it would do 84 to 85 MPH. I was only getting 4950 rpm with those props and thought I could get another MPH OR TWO with some Herrings but just didn't want to spend the bucks.
The 38 is an awsome boat. It rides rock solid. turns tight and stays lockes up, at least mine did.
Also they have more room than any other 38 out there, great for overnights

If you can find one with the 525's or the 575scis you will be top dog . Nothing wrong with the 500's but your max will be closer to 80.

Good luck on the search
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
But running in TRUE 6 footers on Lake Michigan, was it really fun?really?
Fun, YES! Really, YES!

Guessing at the wave size, but would lose sight of the horizon between waves. Wind was coming from the west, and once you found the ideal speed just had to manage the throttles. Made it across and enjoyed the Chicago Air and Sea show. Trip back was in better conditions, and yes it was fun too.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by performancemary
I had a 2001 with 575sci's , I believe the factory only made two of them. Mine was bone stock and with the merc five blades ( lab finished) it would do 84 to 85 MPH. I was only getting 4950 rpm with those props and thought I could get another MPH OR TWO with some Herrings but just didn't want to spend the bucks.
The 38 is an awsome boat. It rides rock solid. turns tight and stays lockes up, at least mine did.
Also they have more room than any other 38 out there, great for overnights

If you can find one with the 525's or the 575scis you will be top dog . Nothing wrong with the 500's but your max will be closer to 80.

Good luck on the search
Did you sell your 38?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.