New Powerquest 257 BR Owner >

New Powerquest 257 BR Owner

Notices

New Powerquest 257 BR Owner

Old 04-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Powerquest 257 BR Owner

I have a few questions about my 93 257 BR powerquest.
First thing is I just bought this boat but know nothing about the maker.
first question. i am reading most have mercruiser motors and bravo outdrives. Mine has a Volvo 740 motor and a Volvo DP outdrive. I have not seen any others with this combo. Why and what is the benefit or downside?

Second question. I noticed that there is a outdrive button next to my trib tab and trailer buttons on the dash. What is the outdrive button for?

Third question. What would you say this boat is worth. it is in perfect shape inside and out and has 500 hours on the motor and it has a double axel trailer two tops and a storage cover.

Any help would be great since i am in Oklahoma and I have never seen or heard of this make of boat before.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

First, welcome - I also have a Legend 257 BR. Not too many of us BR owners around. Powerquest was a Holland, MI performance boat builder with an excellent reputation for quality - especially in the hull. You are correct that not too many had VP units in them, but it was an option. As for the downside, the only one I'm aware of is parts - they seem to be a good power package. Mine has the Bravo III (Duo Prop like the Volvo in yours) - the advantage there is that the DP will plane out quick and keep plane at a low speed. I can easily maintian 13 mph all day with mine - great for towing the kids. On the upside, I can also do 58-60 (condition dependent). However, the DP drives have a max speed they can meet because of drag, etc - so you won't hot rod it to 90 mph. Likely your hull would not do that anyway - there is a thread here where a guy was trying for higher speeds in a Legend, and it seems unlikely to get much more than 70.

No idea on the Outdrive button - my Merc doesn't have it. A Volvo owner will have to chime in - or check a Volvo specific forum (I'm sure they are out there).

Value is all over the place these days - I paid $17k for mine in excellent shape, 196 hours, documented service, a hull with no stress cracks, new trailer tires, etc. That seems to be near the high end, but for what I got I think it was fair.

Last edited by apollard; 04-18-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by apollard
First, welcome - I also have a Legend 257 BR. Not too many of us BR owners around. Powerquest was a Holland, MI performance boat builder with an excellent reputation for quality - especially in the hull. You are correct that not too many had VP units in them, but it was an option. As for the downside, the only one I'm aware of is parts - they seem to be a good power package. Mine has the Bravo III (Duo Prop like the Volvo in yours) - the advantage there is that the DP will plane out quick and keep plane at a low speed. I can easily maintian 13 mph all day with mine - great for towing the kids. On the upside, I can also do 58-60 (condition dependent). However, the DP drives have a max speed they can meet because of drag, etc - so you won't hot rod it to 90 mph. Likely your hull would not do that anyway - there is a thread here where a guy was trying for higher speeds in a Legend, and it seems unlikely to get much more than 70.

No idea on the Outdrive button - my Merc doesn't have it. A Volvo owner will have to chime in - or check a Volvo specific forum (I'm sure they are out there).

Value is all over the place these days - I paid $17k for mine in excellent shape, 196 hours, documented service, a hull with no stress cracks, new trailer tires, etc. That seems to be near the high end, but for what I got I think it was fair.
The outdrive button on your dash is a duplicate function as the trim buton on your throttle. It only travels the outdrive up and down for being underway. The Trailer buton allows you to bring the outdrive all the way up. Do not drive the boat anywhere close to the Trailer position.
PQ26
Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Registered

Doh! he did say trim tabs, but I read trim as in drive trim. Yep, mine has that aslo.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

thanks for the info guys. man this boat is great no problems what so ever. the construction seem very sound and the tech seems far adv for the year. I sure wish they were still making new boats. Baja owners are always checking this boat out. baja's are a dime a dozen on my lakes and I have yet to see another quest.