Question for 38' owners

Notices

Question for 38' owners

Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 PM
JR.
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for 38' owners

i am thinking about purchasing a 38' probably with 502's and bravos.

just want to pound around on lake hooligan (michigan) with the kids. Run back and forth to chicago etc.

i am assuming the boats runs mid 60's to maybe 70 and i am happy with that because i own fast motorcycles and cars.. i am looking for dependability.

since PQ is gone, any problems with the boats? anything to watch out for?

prop suggestions?

i purchased a 290 back in 1990 from Todd and it was a nice boat.

thought about a 38' cig but then i would want big motors etc. The PQ seems to be a nice "family" boat

thanks in advance for any help..

Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR.

i am thinking about purchasing a 38' probably with 502's and bravos.

just want to pound around on lake hooligan (michigan) with the kids. Run back and forth to chicago etc.

i am assuming the boats runs mid 60's to maybe 70 and i am happy with that because i own fast motorcycles and cars.. i am looking for dependability.

since PQ is gone, any problems with the boats? anything to watch out for?

prop suggestions?

i purchased a 290 back in 1990 from Todd and it was a nice boat.

thought about a 38' cig but then i would want big motors etc. The PQ seems to be a nice "family" boat

thanks in advance for any help..

What year range are you looking for?.........The avengers did have some issues with the sliding cabin doors, I think more so with the earlier doors uo to the late 90s then they switched to a different manufacture......My 97 non stepped hull hit a best of 72 on the gps in ideal conditions with stock 502 mpi mags and labed 25p Mirage plus props spining in. If I was to get a stepped hull version I would get a late 2000 and up model year because thats when they had the hull dialed in.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the boat will suit your needs. Good for overnighting if you have to, head is actually usable. We use our camper canvas quite a bit actually and people sleep on the sunpad or on back bench. Ours is a 70mph boat with people on board, doesn't change much with more or less weight. Easy to trailer/launch. I love our boat, but I'm ready to move on to something a little bit newer.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
JR.
Registered

thanks for the replies..

i don't know what years the 38' was produced but i would probably get a stepped hull boat.

the onboard camper canvass is cool..

what is best prop set up?

when did PQ close their doors?

NKissau.. what would you move to?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Step hull was introduced in 98, revised in late 2000... PQ stopped building in 06 i believe, was reopened but did not build in 08 I think.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfisher
Step hull was introduced in 98, revised in late 2000... PQ stopped building in 06 i believe, was reopened but did not build in 08 I think.
you are correct grasshopper!with the exeption of one 300 that was built by the new owner in 08

Last edited by boatnt; 05-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JR.
thanks for the replies..

i don't know what years the 38' was produced but i would probably get a stepped hull boat.

the onboard camper canvass is cool..

what is best prop set up?

when did PQ close their doors?

NKissau.. what would you move to?

My boat came with 28p spinning in and that is what I still use. I also have a set of labbed 30p from bblades, these give me a little better cruise (higher speed at lower rpm) but I can only get to about 4800rpm which knocks about 3-5mph off the top.

If I were able to sell my boat, the three boats on my list are: 37 AT, 42 Fountain and 39 Nor-tech.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

My boat has 28p Bravo 1's labbed by BBlades, great hole shot, good midrange, and 74.8 mph gps at 4900 rpms with 3 people and 3/4 tank of gas. Power is 502 mpi's with CMI's. The 38 Avenger is a great boat!!! We have been across Lake Michigan a couple of times and had a blast!!!