leaky pop up cleats?? >

leaky pop up cleats??

Notices

leaky pop up cleats??

Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky pop up cleats??

I am getting close to an agreement on one of the two 38's I am looking at. One issue came up that I would appreciate some input on; The one boat has pop up cleats and the owner stated that they naturally leak into the front side compartments and then back to the bilge. Thus, anything you store in the front storage areas gets wet. Is this true, or is there another issue with this boat? Seems crazy to me to engineer a system like this???
Old 08-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Pop up cleats I've had on my last two boats never leaked. Neither were PQs, but I'd think there is something wrong. You may want to post the year just in case a certain brand used in a certain year had issues.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts

there should be a cup under the cleat and theres a drain line you can connect and route to where you want it to go....maybe they either didnt install the cups or didnt bother with hooking up lines to them....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an 03. I looked at an 02 that had them too, but the issue never came upon that boat.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

on my 03 Revenge they never installed the hose that Wally is talking about..I had to do it myself..easy fix..must have been a Friday boat
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CP marine has some nice little thru hull fittings to attach the drain tubes to. Best NOT to send any more water into the boat IMHO. I mounted one directly below each drain cup on my eliminator. 3/4" polished SS dome head is all that shows on the outside of the hull.