280 Steering Cooler?

Notices

280 Steering Cooler?

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 280 Steering Cooler?

Just winterizing this boat for the first time and wondering if it has a power steering cooler to drain. Couldn't find one. It is cable steer. Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes it does have one....it cools the p/s fluid..

did you run antifreeze in the engine or are you leaving it dry???

if dry you must drain the cooler,,
if you ran antifreeze then your ok because antifreeze flushed the water out of the cooler..
Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

The PS cooler sits at the back of the motor above both the sea water pump and the fuel cooler. If you pull the lower hose off the sea water pump and the blue plugs on the fuel cooler, you essentially drain the PS cooler.

Last edited by Knot 4 Me; 10-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I haven't run antiftreeze in it, I drained both block drains, both exh. manifolds, both hoses from the back of the impeller, and a drain on the port side near the block drain. It appeared that one was in the hose from the impeller. Oil cooler? I guess I'm not sure where the fuel cooler is.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PROWRENCH
I haven't run antiftreeze in it, I drained both block drains, both exh. manifolds, both hoses from the back of the impeller, and a drain on the port side near the block drain. It appeared that one was in the hose from the impeller. Oil cooler? I guess I'm not sure where the fuel cooler is.
Fuel cooler will be down low near the motor mount on the port side. Do you have an early 2001 boat with either a 454 MAG or 502 MAG or do you have a 496 boat?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Fuel cooler will be down low near the motor mount on the port side. Do you have an early 2001 boat with either a 454 MAG or 502 MAG or do you have a 496 boat?
Must have the 454 block since he drained the block and exhaust manifolds....

p/steering cooler is in back of engine behind the distributor and the cool fuel cooler will be on right side of the engine by engine mount(as your facing engine)..
also make sure while you drail the block you stick a piece of mechanics wire in the drain hole to make sure all water came out and you dont have sand or mud blocking the drain hole..
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered
Gold Member

It's a 502. The one drain was by the port side engine mount, what I thought was the oil cooler. It is inline in a copper tube that came from the outlet of the impeller over the top of the bellhousing and down to this point where it turns to copper (appearing) tube. Then it heads up the front of the eng. as a black cylinder, then hose to the tstat housing.
Thanks for the input guys, obviously my first non-outboard boat. Love the boat, but wanna go bigger already.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
Must have the 454 block since he drained the block and exhaust manifolds....

p/steering cooler is in back of engine behind the distributor and the cool fuel cooler will be on right side of the engine by engine mount(as your facing engine)..
also make sure while you drail the block you stick a piece of mechanics wire in the drain hole to make sure all water came out and you dont have sand or mud blocking the drain hole..
Doh! Didn't read his previous post close enough obviously!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PROWRENCH
It's a 502. The one drain was by the port side engine mount, what I thought was the oil cooler. It is inline in a copper tube that came from the outlet of the impeller over the top of the bellhousing and down to this point where it turns to copper (appearing) tube. Then it heads up the front of the eng. as a black cylinder, then hose to the tstat housing.
Thanks for the input guys, obviously my first non-outboard boat. Love the boat, but wanna go bigger already.
That blue plug by the motor mount was for the fuel cooler. From there the water flows up to the oil cooler. That is the vertically mounted black cylinder you are referring to.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Great, sounds like I'm good then since I drained at the fuel cooler and the impeller right? Might have to undo it all this weekend if it's really gonna be as warm as they say...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.