38 Avenger Prop Question >

38 Avenger Prop Question

Notices

38 Avenger Prop Question

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Don OHIO
Hey Liquid Fix - can't provide an "X" dimension, my Avenger is "racked", waxed, covered and put to sleep until April 15th in Monroe.
Don, at the rate that I'm gathering info April 15th will work!!!
I will remind you again come spring.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don OHIO
Johnny B Good - that is a huge difference to what I'm seeing with my 4-blades Bravo 1's @ 24 pitch. On the GPS with these the most I see is 64.5 For an increase to the speed you see, I should just buy a new set of props! After reading about blueprinting & labbing, I'm not sure the incremental difference is worth the thinning of the blades that occurs. Some of the articles say that the thinning caused by either process can reduce the blade strength by 50% plus. With my everday running and sometimes getting into sand at party spots, I'm not sure that this is a best bet for me. I'm blown away by your top end vs. mine!!!!!
I have a set of stock used 26p Bravo one 4 blades that I bought for back up and I will see about a 2 mph increase at all rpm ranges up to about 4000rpm then I will lose about 2mph on top end compared to what my un labbed 3 blade Mirage +’s would run which was 66mph on gps. It seems for what ever reason my Avenger is fairly quick to what other equally powered Avengers. My buddy has a 97 Avenger with HP500s but running 4 blade hydromotives spinning out not labbed and he does have an added on A/C unit up in the bow area and I run dead even with him when we are loaded the same.
I would try a set of 3 blade Mirage plus props that are known to be undamaged and stock, try spinning them in for more bow lift, double check your toe in on your drives, make sure your bottom is clean of any growth etc., and last do a leak down test on the engines. Of course my top end speeds are in perfect case scenario’s, but I will see 68-69 gps 90% of the time thru the season.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks - NeedFor Speed!

Dropped my props off at Hydromotive and talked to Todd at length. Learned a bunch in a short period of time. For one, my 24 pitch Bravo 1's really only averaged out to about a 22 pitch. We had a long discussion about 3 & 4 blades and advantages/disadvantages for my Avenger. (he sold me on the advantages of a 4 blade.) What a "wealth" of info! It was great to sit down & talk with someone vs. over the phone and mailing vs. the ability to drop them off and pick them up. In the end, I went with blueprinting, balancing & polish. Looking forward to picking them up in January!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

I've learned lots on this forum myself (good laughs too) and since PQ is about to evaporate for good we have to come here for support...lots of knowledgeable people willing to help.

Now, where's that global warming...winter's too damn long!
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Liquid Fix
Hey Guys,
Can you 38 owners give me your prop shaft center line to bottom of hull dimension? I'm 2.5" below but my slip number is high at a 3500 cruise. I'm running 28" bravo 1 and slip is ~28%. I tried 27" P5X and it dropped it 5% to low 20%. I'm thinking of adding drive spacers but look for more info.
Sorry For the high jack but seems like a lot of Avenger owners here.
Thanks,
LF
Just measured mine and it was around 2" below bottom (give or take a little), but drives were trimmed up a bit. Slip at WOT is around 15%, 24% at 3500rpm, 19% at 4000rpm.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaceRPM
Just measured mine and it was around 2" below bottom (give or take a little), but drives were trimmed up a bit. Slip at WOT is around 15%, 24% at 3500rpm, 19% at 4000rpm.
Thanks for the info RPM. I'm going to add drive spacers and see if that helps me out any. Mine can get tricky to plane in rough water as well due to the props breaking loose. I will post results this spring with before and after data.
Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info RPM. I'm going to add drive spacers and see if that helps me out any. Mine can get tricky to plane in rough water as well due to the props breaking loose. I will post results this spring with before and after data.
Happy Holidays!!!!
Did you ever add the spacers? How did it run?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blownboat
Did you ever add the spacers? How did it run?
Man, I got so much going on I haven't even had time to put my eyes on the boat much less work on it! I think the best thing to do would be sell it or trade for something smaller. I don't know what to do. Atleast it's parked inside so i guess it's not hurting anything. Now I'm depressed!! LOL!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, I got so much going on I haven't even had time to put my eyes on the boat much less work on it! I think the best thing to do would be sell it or trade for something smaller. I don't know what to do. Atleast it's parked inside so i guess it's not hurting anything. Now I'm depressed!! LOL!
I was curious if you ever sold it or not. I am the guy who looked at it back in early March, while in working in Beaumont.

The sale of my old boat drug out a month longer than scheduled and my lowball offer on a 380 Avenger up north was accepted. I would think you could sell yours pretty easily, as it is a nice boat.