Notices

Blistering

Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blistering

I have a "95" Avenger that has some blistering on the hull sides near the transom. Does anyone else have this issue on any of their PQ's? If so, what was the fix?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 Powerquest 222 xl with only 109 hours on it. I discovered mine had blistering where it sat on the trailer bunks. Must be from the carpet on the bunks holding moisture. I fixed mine by grinding out and filling the large blisters with west systems epoxy. Then I sanded with 80 grit and rolled on 2 coats of west systems epoxy to act as a barrier coat. I only did this where the boat sits on the trailer bunks. You really dont notice the epoxy when it sits on the trailer because it is covered by the bunks. I would think that if your blistering is on the sides you would want grind out the blisters and fill with gelcoat because it will be visible. Then regel or repaint the areas. Since you probably wont get a perfect color match maybe you could somehow incorporate the repair area into your color scheme as a different color. Or have a pro do the repair for you.