Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Im Gonna Need Good TABS! >

Im Gonna Need Good TABS!

Notices

Im Gonna Need Good TABS!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from the lake (aka hurricane) and the new prop did very well. It was tough to judge top speed because there was so much chop and wind blowing me around.

I went from a 24 pitch to a 26 pitch labbed. I gained in hole-shot which surprised me and gained 2mph top end. I suspect the top end will be higher on a calmer day. I still feel like I need more trim to get the boat out of the water but end up shooting a massive rooster tail. I am still looking for a 1" spacer to get more prop in the water.

Whichever prop you end up with make sure you have Brett lab it.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dwinters321
Just got back from the lake (aka hurricane) and the new prop did very well. It was tough to judge top speed because there was so much chop and wind blowing me around.

I went from a 24 pitch to a 26 pitch labbed. I gained in hole-shot which surprised me and gained 2mph top end. I suspect the top end will be higher on a calmer day. I still feel like I need more trim to get the boat out of the water but end up shooting a massive rooster tail. I am still looking for a 1" spacer to get more prop in the water.

Whichever prop you end up with make sure you have Brett lab it.
I just got off the phone with him. Its in the worx.

And I have a 1 inch spacer on my drive. What kind of numbers are you seeing. Im running a stock 26p B1 with the spacer. with a stock 502 MPI with CMI headers. turning 5100 rpm at 67mph GPS.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
I wish. Thats next on the list. Ill have single ram by mid summer if not sooner.
Go with steering before tabs. The hull is going to handle how the hull is going to handle, at any speed. If you need tabs to adjust how the boat is running in rough water or with a cross wind, you are not going to be at the new breakneck speeds your forced induction is taking you to. If you end up with chinewalking or a hop after forced induction, you shouldn't be trying to fix that with tabs anyhow.

Do you have Bennet Trim Tabs on the boat now? If so, you can upgrade to longer plates. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/
BTT are no where near as strong as K-planes, but they are well made; probably best light duty tab out there.

I don't know what kind of power you are going to have or which motor you are supercharging, but anything with forced induction should have hydrauilic steering.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what size procharger are you doing? i would think you should be starting with a 28p bravo. 32 is pretty large. best overall prop is my 28. i get great cruising with my 26 5 blade but less top end. i think i have a conservative 550hp. you may need to have whipple program your computer to make up for fuel. cant be to lean otherwise you burn it up and cant be to rich otherwise you wash out the cylinders with fuel. i still have the short tabs. i have been keeping en eye out for longer plates but surviving fine without them. i have a single ram latham assist steering. that is a must! good luck with the upgrade.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Go with steering before tabs. The hull is going to handle how the hull is going to handle, at any speed. If you need tabs to adjust how the boat is running in rough water or with a cross wind, you are not going to be at the new breakneck speeds your forced induction is taking you to. If you end up with chinewalking or a hop after forced induction, you shouldn't be trying to fix that with tabs anyhow.

Do you have Bennet Trim Tabs on the boat now? If so, you can upgrade to longer plates. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/
BTT are no where near as strong as K-planes, but they are well made; probably best light duty tab out there.

I don't know what kind of power you are going to have or which motor you are supercharging, but anything with forced induction should have hydrauilic steering.
+1. steering is way more important than tabs in my opinion. I have 280's on my boat and hardly ever use them unless its real rough. Even then they don't make a huge difference other than slow me down. I may be interested in your prop if it's a stock 4 blade
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

I have the stock dual ram tabs the boat came with. thay dont work rt now. I Think the pumps bad. Ive checked everything else. Steering is more affordable than tabs so im fine with that first and tabs later. LOL.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by specialk
what size procharger are you doing? i would think you should be starting with a 28p bravo. 32 is pretty large. best overall prop is my 28. i get great cruising with my 26 5 blade but less top end. i think i have a conservative 550hp. you may need to have whipple program your computer to make up for fuel. cant be to lean otherwise you burn it up and cant be to rich otherwise you wash out the cylinders with fuel. i still have the short tabs. i have been keeping en eye out for longer plates but surviving fine without them. i have a single ram latham assist steering. that is a must! good luck with the upgrade.
Its a M-1sc. I would blow a 28 out with a procharger. Rt now im turning that 26p Bravo at 5100 at 67 gps. Before I bought the procharger I was talking to Brett about the 28. He was going to lab it for me and that would have been the perfect prop for me. So He is thinking we need to start with a 32 and see where im at and go from there. The computer got sent off the same day i payed for the procharger. Mark ad Precision marine is doing it. Hes one of the best. What did you pay for your Latham and where did you get it?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

IMCO makes a nice system. I'd go full to the helm if you can swing it.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
IMCO makes a nice system. I'd go full to the helm if you can swing it.
Ive looked at them and have talked to a few dealers about different brands. IMCO are very nice. = very expencive. lol. Im prob gonna go with the mayfair. It seems to be the most affordable. Im not building a race boat. Just a bolt on weekend toy with some balls under the hatch.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh LaFountain
I have the stock dual ram tabs the boat came with. thay dont work rt now. I Think the pumps bad. Ive checked everything else. Steering is more affordable than tabs so im fine with that first and tabs later. LOL.
If they are Bennett's, give their tech line a call, they will walk you through troubleshooting, and if it is the pump, repair for a very fair price, sometimes even free. I have NEVER been charged by them for a defective replacement part. Called them a few times, and since they are local to me, picked up the parts in person, owner of the company came down to the lobby, and personally handed me the part. Best customer service in the industry. BTW, here is a pic of my tabs, dual bennett rams, on some modified K-plane style tabs

Last edited by rchevelle71; 03-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.