Silent Choice Question >

Silent Choice Question

Notices

Silent Choice Question

Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent Choice Question

Ok, forgive me for showing my ignorance here, but I have never owned a boat with silent choice. I never understood why a guy in his 20's would want a quiet boat until hearing of some friends' run ins with the law lol. Anywho, I am hearing conflicting things. At some point through the RPM's does the exhaust have to run through the hull, and if so, is the exhaust supposed to switch automatically off of silent? Its a 502 if that makes a difference, and was factory installed by PQ.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swiching is manual and they will not open automatically.
My PQ has a warning tag not run engines over 2000 Rpm
with exaust switched thru props or damage to the engines will ocurr due to too much back pressure.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rrentsch
The swiching is manual and they will not open automatically.
My PQ has a warning tag not run engines over 2000 Rpm
with exaust switched thru props or damage to the engines will ocurr due to too much back pressure.
Exactly what I thought, and what I have been adhering to when the fun police are around. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

mine would open up if you left them closed and got on plane, it's only a little actuator that keeps the flap closed so it was no match for the exhaust pressure
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete280
mine would open up if you left them closed and got on plane, it's only a little actuator that keeps the flap closed so it was no match for the exhaust pressure
I haven't let it get that far as I was afraid of damaging something. I have gone a bit past 2000 thinking it might, but haven't made it on plane.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PQ260SX
Ok, forgive me for showing my ignorance here, but I have never owned a boat with silent choice. I never understood why a guy in his 20's would want a quiet boat until hearing of some friends' run ins with the law lol. Anywho, I am hearing conflicting things. At some point through the RPM's does the exhaust have to run through the hull, and if so, is the exhaust supposed to switch automatically off of silent? Its a 502 if that makes a difference, and was factory installed by PQ.
I have a 260sx and I always use silent choice. Ive never heard of having to have to have the boat loud after 2000 rpm. I just got the boat though, will this cause damage? It's still fairly loud even with the silent choice being used so I've always used it. Can somebody who's had a 260sx or other pq chime in here plds
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

My 280 Silencer with a 454 Mag had silent choice and there was no such sticker with any warning on it. I used the slilent choice while pulling the kids tubing and skiing and at other times above 2000 rpm. I owned the boat for 8 years and never had any issues. If you ran it hard the acuators would give way and the exhause would open back up.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Think about it this way, if you didn't have silent choice it would just go through the outdrives like every other boat without it. No harm! Same thing as that.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

The system automatically opens up from the force of the exhaust when the RPMs get high, it won't open all the way, so you get a "little" bit if diversion. You can switch it on all day long and it won't stay closed at higher RPMs. I ran mine all the time in my 260.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered

I have had the same question. So I asked my Marina. A former pq dealer. An it does no harm. They don't recommend running wide open. But its doesn't hurt to cruise around . Just my 2 cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.