2002 Merc 496 Reliability?

Notices

2002 Merc 496 Reliability?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I am not trolling other forums.
I actually forgot which forum this was in, and you reminded me. I edited my post. Feel free to change my quote in your post.
oh come on I am just playing around dont get mad....we all know your the A/T guy/salesman around here,,its all good,,
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
oh come on I am just playing around dont get mad....we all know your the A/T guy/salesman around here,,its all good,,
I know that; Just making sure everyone else knows where I am coming from...

and FWIW; I've never taken a drawn a dime from AT.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigvander
Yea that is good advice. I've passed on a few already - it is pretty easy to tell if someone has taken care of a boat or not. It is a 2002 260 Legend with 300 hours. I'm not sure if it is a 496 or 496 HO. It had some seals replaced last year on the outdrive due to a leak. I have to look into that more.
most likely it has the 496mag 375hp..
nothing wrong with a 10 -11 year old boat that needed some seals replaced,,,if you like the boat and it all checks out ok i would not let a couple of outdrive seals hold me back from buying it..
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Right I understand but why not just use the lake water and simplify the system? What is the added benefit of having coolant? Does this engine still have the impeller issues that other PQs have?
You can better control engine operating temperature with a closed cooling system.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
most likely it has the 496mag 375hp..
nothing wrong with a 10 -11 year old boat that needed some seals replaced,,,if you like the boat and it all checks out ok i would not let a couple of outdrive seals hold me back from buying it..
I spoke with the mechanic who is actually the orginal PQ owner's son. He did the work and everything checked out. Very sharp boat and it is what I'm looking for. I will have some work to get it as clean as I want it but I always expect that. New impeller last fall so I'm good there. The gel coat has a few spots down to black which concerns me a bit - one up by the tow hook (apparently caused by the trailer) and a few spots on the hull just in front of the trim tab (from previous owner). The bumper has some rash but not too bad. The paint has a few spots but I can touch those up. There was a little oil in the hull yet but the mechanic told me it was residual from the service work. A very small dent on the outdrive fin and some chipped paint. Other than that it looks pretty good - the hull just needs a good buffing and wax job.

The trailer fenders were pretty rusty but I guess that's what you get when you leave it outside. New tires. Not a perfect outfit but I guess I can't expect that?

I've asked for the SmartCraft readout as well as hours. I'm planning to test drive it this weekend. Other than cleaning it and getting the fiberglass spots touched up it is ready to go.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flimflam
I have two 496 ho's with over 560 hrs running strong!
Did you have the cylinder heads freshened up, yet? I will pass 500 hours on my HO's this season and am wondering when/if this service needs to be done.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
Did you have the cylinder heads freshened up, yet? I will pass 500 hours on my HO's this season and am wondering when/if this service needs to be done.
no need to touch a 496 (as long as its stock) you could get 900-1000 hours as long as its maintained correctly,,same goes for 7.4s, 454s and 502s,,
its funny how everybody wants the BLUE engines,,(sound cool) but have to worry about heads.springs.valves.rings..Black engines on the other hand,,change oil turn key and go..
Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I spoke with the mechanic who is actually the orginal PQ owner's son. He did the work and everything checked out. Very sharp boat and it is what I'm looking for. I will have some work to get it as clean as I want it but I always expect that. New impeller last fall so I'm good there. The gel coat has a few spots down to black which concerns me a bit - one up by the tow hook (apparently caused by the trailer) and a few spots on the hull just in front of the trim tab (from previous owner). The bumper has some rash but not too bad. The paint has a few spots but I can touch those up. There was a little oil in the hull yet but the mechanic told me it was residual from the service work. A very small dent on the outdrive fin and some chipped paint. Other than that it looks pretty good - the hull just needs a good buffing and wax job.

The trailer fenders were pretty rusty but I guess that's what you get when you leave it outside. New tires. Not a perfect outfit but I guess I can't expect that?

I've asked for the SmartCraft readout as well as hours. I'm planning to test drive it this weekend. Other than cleaning it and getting the fiberglass spots touched up it is ready to go.
Sounds ripe! Good luck with the pursuit!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's asking 30k for it. Apparently he spent over 3k last year on the sound system but I don't really care much about that. I doubt my 4 month old will like subwoofers just yet. Thoughts on that price?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Hes wanting to get into another boat so....offer him $28k and see what happens? all he can say is no and counter offer. there isnt many out there for sale that are reasonably priced with options that you are looking for and cool graphics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.